Transmission Rattle, Goes Away With Clutch - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-12-2015, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Transmission Rattle, Goes Away With Clutch

Hoping to take advantage of the board's experience for a new rattle coming from - I think - the transmission.

After a recent oil change, I've noticed that I get a non-harmonic rattle in low RPMs. It's very low pitched and sounds kind of random, like there's a rock or something bouncing around in the gearbox. I can hear it, but I can also feel it very slightly through the grips.

Other points:
  • It either goes away or is too quiet to be heard by about 4,500 RPM and my tach shows the engine speed not changing while I'm hearing the rattle.
  • The rattle seems to get louder while going uphill, but I think it's still there when going downhill.
  • I don't think I've heard the rattle when the engine is cold.
  • My Glee has just under 14,000 miles on it and the only things I've changed out entirely are the tires (and the oil five or six times).
  • Still have the original chain, which I don't think I've lubed in about a year and 1200 miles, so... I'm going to go do that right now!
  • It lives outside.
  • It disappears immediately if I grab the clutch and comes back within a second or two of the clutch re-engaging. This particular thing seems like it points to something, but I have no idea what.

I thought this might be the dreaded (?) clutch basket chudder, but people seem to think that's pretty much non-existent on 650s, so I'm at a bit of a loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-13-2015, 07:39 AM
$tromtrooper

There have been reports of misc. noises on the Glee none of which have ever been a serious issue that I know of, not to say that yous isn't. Mine has a little clutch noise at idle with the clutch out and a few other ticks but I always wear ear plugs so I don't hear them when riding.

post #3 of 12 Old 03-13-2015, 07:49 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
There is a lot of conjecture on the cause but wide agreement on the effect, the noise is just noise. It doesn't cause any harm. It seems to have started with the 2007 model. My 2007 started making the noise after the first oil change. It has well over 100,000 miles now and is on its second owner. I probably have it on my 2012, but haven't really paid attention to noise changes. I think I'd notice something if it developed something actually serious like a con rod bearing knock.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html

post #4 of 12 Old 03-13-2015, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Hm. Thanks for your reassurance, guys.

I'm still worried about it (I'm picturing the rear wheel locking up on the highway, mostly) but considerably less so.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-17-2015, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
For any that encounter this in the future, I lubricated my chain with the Suzuki combination lubricant / cleaner stuff and the sound went away right away. Did a 300-mile trip this weekend and it was great the whole time.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-07-2015, 12:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinkside View Post
Hoping to take advantage of the board's experience for a new rattle coming from - I think - the transmission.

After a recent oil change, I've noticed that I get a non-harmonic rattle in low RPMs. It's very low pitched and sounds kind of random, like there's a rock or something bouncing around in the gearbox. I can hear it, but I can also feel it very slightly through the grips.

Other points:
  • It either goes away or is too quiet to be heard by about 4,500 RPM and my tach shows the engine speed not changing while I'm hearing the rattle.
  • The rattle seems to get louder while going uphill, but I think it's still there when going downhill.
  • I don't think I've heard the rattle when the engine is cold.
  • My Glee has just under 14,000 miles on it and the only things I've changed out entirely are the tires (and the oil five or six times).
  • Still have the original chain, which I don't think I've lubed in about a year and 1200 miles, so... I'm going to go do that right now!
  • It lives outside.
  • It disappears immediately if I grab the clutch and comes back within a second or two of the clutch re-engaging. This particular thing seems like it points to something, but I have no idea what.

I thought this might be the dreaded (?) clutch basket chudder, but people seem to think that's pretty much non-existent on 650s, so I'm at a bit of a loss.
I think I have the same noise happening on my 2012 strom 650.. It is very noticeable when I'm going downhill and the engine is breaking.. Once I pull in the clutch, the noise disappears! Bike needs to warm up before this noise comes around.. I was going to take it to the shop but they'll probably just charge me money and not do anything! I think I'll just keep riding and learn to ignore it.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-07-2015, 08:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have this exact same issue on my 650. There is a sometimes repetitive knock that matches the speed of the bike BUT it does not match the rotational speed of the wheels. I'm therefore assuming it is chain related. No center stand so its kind of difficult to diagnose but I may see if I can borrow a wheel stand to check further. Maybe a bad link?
post #8 of 12 Old 08-11-2015, 11:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
There is a lot of conjecture on the cause but wide agreement on the effect, the noise is just noise. It doesn't cause any harm. It seems to have started with the 2007 model. My 2007 started making the noise after the first oil change. It has well over 100,000 miles now and is on its second owner. I probably have it on my 2012, but haven't really paid attention to noise changes. I think I'd notice something if it developed something actually serious like a con rod bearing knock.
I *thinK* you're referring to something commonly called "idle knock". I think...

The 1000's are well know for this, it's discussed at length on their board. That is, idle knock a not too common occurance for a 1000, seems to appear (if it is going to appear) somewhere shortly after the first oil change. It strikes random examples of the cycle, not every cycle exhibits. On that cycle, it appears to be mechanical stack up of clearances (of various mechanical components) that is the primary cause, as documented extensively by the fellow who developed a fix (yeah, and just try to get one, they're scarce, and lengthy backorder).

Anyway, that's the short history for the 1000's, from about 2007 thru present 2015's (the motor re-design did not change or affect the clearance stackup of the related components).

However, I thnk these are the first reports that I have read of idle knock on a 650 model, *if* thats what this is.

Myself, I was going with cam chain rattle.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400-S
2012 Suzuki DRZ400-S (sold)
2012 WeeStrom
2012 Kaw ZX-14R
2013 Yam WR450F (sold)
post #9 of 12 Old 08-11-2015, 11:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Is this the same clutch basket rattle that is common with the 'stroms?

2007 DL1000
post #10 of 12 Old 08-12-2015, 12:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
I *thinK* you're referring to something commonly called "idle knock". I think...

The 1000's are well know for this, it's discussed at length on their board. That is, idle knock a not too common occurance for a 1000, seems to appear (if it is going to appear) somewhere shortly after the first oil change. It strikes random examples of the cycle, not every cycle exhibits. On that cycle, it appears to be mechanical stack up of clearances (of various mechanical components) that is the primary cause, as documented extensively by the fellow who developed a fix (yeah, and just try to get one, they're scarce, and lengthy backorder).

Anyway, that's the short history for the 1000's, from about 2007 thru present 2015's (the motor re-design did not change or affect the clearance stackup of the related components).

However, I thnk these are the first reports that I have read of idle knock on a 650 model, *if* thats what this is.

Myself, I was going with cam chain rattle.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400-S
2012 Suzuki DRZ400-S (sold)
2012 WeeStrom
2012 Kaw ZX-14R
2013 Yam WR450F (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gearbox , rattle , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode