Seat mods after weight loss - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-12-2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Seat mods after weight loss

I've lost about 50 pound in 3 months, now I have no padding on my butt and it gets sore after about 100 miles on the oem seat. It never got sore before even after 600-700 miles. Not sure what to do about this,, gel pad, bead rider cushion? Ideas?

"Dave"

If You're Gonna Be Stupid, You Better Be Hard, because stupid hurts!
I no longer own a V Strom, but I'm still here because its the best bike forum going!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

The best (and most healthy) solution is to add some muscle to replace the missing fat on your butt.

While you are working on that you could use an Airhawk...

Yamaha XT1200Z '15 - www.bike-addict.dk - It's not what you ride but how you ride it unk:
post #3 of 14 Old 03-12-2015, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Sounds like you need a Russel or a Terry Addox saddle, and congrats on the weight loss!!!

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #4 of 14 Old 03-12-2015, 08:31 PM
$tromtrooper

Seat mods after weight loss

Congrats! Best performance mod yet!

I'm 6'2 /175# with a boney bum... Terry's seat did the trick for me (and my wife).
post #5 of 14 Old 03-13-2015, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks y'all. I think I am going to try the Alaska Leather long hair butt padd. I have heard nothing but good things about them. All of the others are hit or miss depending on the user.

11 pounds to go then I am at my target weight.I had to reduce my preload, I was getting launched off the seat.

"Dave"

I no longer own a V Strom, but I'm still here because its the best bike forum going!
post #6 of 14 Old 03-13-2015, 10:06 AM
Stromthusiast!

Congrats, Dave, for the loss of weight.

Seats can be a problem. I've had Corbins (never again, too hard, too long to 'break in',) two custom built by the late, great Bill Russell-(very expensive, needed some tweaking, including a short ride from ATL to Northern California for a hands-on fitting); a Sargents (decent for the price) and a few more.

Before slamming your AmEx card to the wall, I'd suggest a simple AirHawk cushion. I bought one back in the early 90's, and between bikes, it'd see use in my home office. I have (still do) the old style hard bottom, hard back type chair you'd see in the old Mickey Spillane detective movies but the ArHawk made it a tad more comfortable.

When I dug it out of a box after buying the Strom, the cover on it was shot. A quick call to the AirHawk company and 4 days later a brand new cover arrived for maybe around 20 bucks. Looks brand new. Feels brand new. The AirHawk people on the phone were awesome too.

AirHawk cushions were originally designed for folks in wheelchairs to help prevent decubitus ulcers. One of my closest friends from my hospital days has been using AirHawks for over 30 years in his wheelchair, put there from a motorcycle accident he was involved in during his residency. Never had a skin breakdown. Never.

Mine is probably 20-23 years old yet it still holds air--never had a leak. The main trick with them is you put just a tad bit of air in them..usually one or two small 'puffs' is all you need.

For the cost of an AirHawk vs a good, custom built seat, you are talking maybe 150.00 (?) vs 450.00+ for a new seat.

I'd try an AirHawk first and play with it awhile. Heck, if you decide it is NOT for you, it can always be used in a different capacity somewhere in your home. If you really hate it (few ever do) then donate it to a local person confined to a wheelchair. ;-)

There's my 0.03 worth! :mrgreen:

Again, congrats!!!!!!! I bet your bike is even FASTER now too! :thumb up:

Cheers!

Pat

Make sure you get a strap for it too from AirHawk. They have been know to blow off if you decide to stand up on your pegs to stretch your legs while at speed on the freeways, but don't ask me how I know that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

#64-> White V-Strom Group! :-)
Poopy head #2 here....
post #7 of 14 Old 03-17-2015, 03:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

What exercise could help with butt muscles?
post #8 of 14 Old 03-17-2015, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Stairs, squats, hiking steep hills.

"Dave"

post #9 of 14 Old 03-17-2015, 04:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Squats probably
post #10 of 14 Old 03-17-2015, 04:34 PM
$tromtrooper

Might want to try Moto-Skiveez. Just bought mine and haven't even tried them yet, but being a bicyclist also I know what good shorts can do.

DL-1000 L8
DL-650 K5 red(122K)
09 DRZ400
The thrill of living should never be traded
for the safety of existence.
Member of the 100,000 mile club.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode