New prospective rider. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 03-09-2015, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Bud
Stromthusiast!

New prospective rider.

Currently riding a 99 RT.

Looking for a smaller bike. Lots of good recommendations from others to look at the 650.

6' 1" 225 lbs.

Ride 1 up exclusively. Camp a lot. Rode from S. Il to Nova Scotia last year. Doing it again this year after riding to Billings for the MOA Rally.

Looking for a 12 or newer used.

Tell me the upgrades I should be sure that has either been done or I will need to to do make it a comfortable long distance bike.

Seat???

Suspension mods/upgrades?

Windshield?

Bar backs, foot peg lowering?

Bash plate?

Fork or triple tree mods?

Anything else.

I appreciate all info/advice/opinions.

Ride Well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 03-09-2015, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Bud
Stromthusiast!

Also for got to ask

why are there leftover 13's and 14's around?
post #3 of 35 Old 03-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You are in the right section for the answers to your questions, browse around a bit or use the google search box.........you will get all the info you can stand. The nice and patient members will likely give you some suggestions, but I assure you the answers/opinions you seek are already here.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #4 of 35 Old 03-09-2015, 05:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Tell me the upgrades I should be sure that has either been done or I will need to to do make it a comfortable long distance bike.
Some enjoy the V-Strom right out of the box while others have to make comprehensive modifications before they are happy.

My advise is to get the bike, ride it and then decide what needs to be done to make it as you want it.

Yamaha XT1200Z '15 - www.bike-addict.dk - It's not what you ride but how you ride it unk:
post #5 of 35 Old 03-09-2015, 10:19 PM
bps
Stromthusiast!

Quote:

Looking for a smaller bike. Lots of good recommendations from others to look at the 650.

6' 1" 225 lbs.

Ride 1 up exclusively. Camp a lot. Rode from S. Il to Nova Scotia last year. Doing it again this year after riding to Billings for the MOA Rally.

Seat???

Windshield?

Bash plate?

Anything else.

Ride Well
I downsized from an ST1300 to the Vstrom and am very comfortable on it. Most have to change seat, as with most bikes. You can look at Russell Day Long, Sargent, and others. Seat Concepts will use your stock pan and replace the foam and cover. The other big issue for me was the windscreen. Two popular options are a Givi Airlow, or Madstad bracket and another screen (could be Madstad). I did put Rox Risers on mine, but it wasn't bad without risers.

If you are at all worried (I was) that a 650 wouldn't be enough, don't. Good luck, and as suggested, see if you can take one for a ride so you'll see if it's for you.

2013 Suzuki DL650
Farkles: Givi V46, V35 and racks, Rox riser, Madstad brackets and screen, Givi crash bars, tank pad, Rick's fork brace, mirror extenders, Side stand plate, and Auxiliary shelf, Augustus deflectors, Seat Concepts, Givi Skid Plate, Enduro Guardian Highway pegs, Wolfman Explorer Lite tank bag, Barkbusters VPS
IBA # 35452
2003 Honda ST1300 Sold
1999 Suzuki Marauder Sold
post #6 of 35 Old 03-09-2015, 11:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
why are there leftover 13's and 14's around?
Because they never sold. I know of a dealer with a left over 12. Somtimes they buy more then they sell and they sit on the floor.

Use it to your advantage if you can. Use it to either drive the price of a used one down or to get a sweet deal on a new one.

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
post #7 of 35 Old 03-09-2015, 11:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yes, Madstadt bracket is a must to get rid of buffeting, although I've heard taller riders don't experience that as much. Riding in that area, I'm sure u already have heated gear. I run Oxford heated grips and love em. I always recommend going one tooth up on the front sprocket to a 16 tooth. Lowers the rpm on the frwy nearly 500rpm, nicely cruises at 80mph below 6k, and doesn't noticeably reduce acceleration. Good luck!
post #8 of 35 Old 03-10-2015, 09:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:

6' 1" 225 lbs.

First of all, welcome! As BigB said, you can search this site pretty well and find out tons of info. This is one of the friendliest and most helpful motorcycle related sites I've ever been a member of. OK, here are a few quick suggestions. YMMV! :mrgreen:

I also liked Don_T's suggestion...before spending a little, or a LOT, ride it for awhile and then perform your mods. I have made a handful of small mods so far in 11 months of ownership of a 2013 V, yet all together they are probably right at a grand--some folks here have really done a lot to theirs, totaling thousands. Again, YMMV.

Seat???

Personally, I like the seat. It looks good and to me, is one of the more comfortable stock seats I've ever had. I do use my trusty old AirHawk cushion for longer rides. Seats are very personal though.....

A fork brace is strongly recommended. It made a huge difference to me. A member here sells them.... beautifully machined and less than a Ben Franklin. 5 minute install.

Windshield?

Again, I like the stock one. I like the wind. (AeroStich Roadcrafter and tight Shoei helmet). This shield gives you a few inches of up and down adjustment (less than, 10 minutes to rig it). Again, just about as subjective as a seat. Ride it awhile first.

Handlebars fit me beautifully the way they are. Again, very subjective.

Very good seat to peg ratio--just hair over 21 inches. I am 6', 210, and am very comfortable. I did not like the stock foot pegs so opted for off road style...pricey at $135.00, but install was simple, the company rocked on a small problem I had and fixed it immediately, free). Fastway pegs.

Bash plate?

I don't go off road much anymore. One complaint some have is that they throw a lot of engine noise up to the cockpit. I intend to go without one...but many strongly recommend them. Your choice here. A front fender extension (still on my To Do list, will assist in keeping trash hitting your oil filter, exhaust and engine).

Fork brace! ;-)

Anything else?

Well, if you plan on camping, then saddlebags and tank bag will be needed. So will a rear trunk. Bestem makes a nice one for $85.00. Givi is nicer, but much pricier. Other brands exist too. My Givi tank lock bag is a definite keeper.

Also consider engine guards to help limit damage from a drop. Some guards, on some bikes, cause vibrations at certain RPM's. I just bought some from a member here who was having major vibe problems. Knowing this, I mounted mine using neoprene washers, torqued everything to specs and am very happy with them (Givi bars). This is also VERY subjective for some.... and some bikes have NO problems, some have a very legitimate complaint. Your mileage can vary greatly with engine guards.

CENTER STAND for chain maintenance. Absolutely! My FIRST mod! I opted for the Suzuki one...had it thrown into the deal when I bought it.

Ride Well
Good luck with your decision. I haven't looked back after buying my V-Strom last April. A few tweaks here and there and except for one or two more things (electrical bus, possible add on lighting (but the stock lights are excellent), that'll be about it for mods for me. I like to filter through traffic when it is safe to do so, so saddlebags are not an option for me. I have a couple of great waterproof duffle bags that'll hold everything I could ever need if the travel bug bites me hard enough.

And there are still enough leftover 13's and 14's that you should be able to get a brand new bike for not much more than a good used one.

Cheers!

Pat

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

#64-> White V-Strom Group! :-)
Poopy head #2 here....
post #9 of 35 Old 03-10-2015, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Bud
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the replies.

At my age, this might be my "last bike" so I want to gather as much info as I can.

It will warm up enough soon for a test ride.
post #10 of 35 Old 03-10-2015, 11:45 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

It's always good to have a new viewpoint!

"Tombstone"
S-10
My Alaskan Adventure
http://2mbstonestravels.blogspot.com/2015/04/alaska-or-bust.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode