Rear-ended, a few questions. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-05-2015, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Exclamation Rear-ended, a few questions.

Good morning all!
Was rear-ended by a car last night. Nothing too bad but enough to send me to the ER.

I'll be calling their insurance company today and want to be ready.

Is the swingarm made of aluminum or steel?
I know they'll have to replace the wheel and tire and I'm concerned about possible stress fractures on the swingarm.
Not looking to screw anyone over but I do want to make sure my bike is safe.

Is there anything else I need to look out for?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-05-2015, 08:10 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
The swingarm is aluminum. It will bend rather than stress fracture. If the bike handles as it did before, I wouldn't worry about it. Take your hands off the handlebars while riding on level ground for a second and see if it tracks straight. Roads tend to be crowned rather than flat.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #3 of 16 Old 03-05-2015, 08:21 AM
$tromtrooper

Glad to hear that you did not suffer any "serious" injuries. I do not know the laws in VA, but I would be steadfast to make sure you are "made whole" with your medical bills and Vstrom. It was not your fault, and the guilty party is 100% responsible. If you have any questions about damage to your Vstrom, make sure you get them answered by the insurance adjuster. Good luck.

post #4 of 16 Old 03-05-2015, 08:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

Glad to hear you were ok.

I can't imagine the insurance company not saying its a total if it has any sort of frame type damage or even the possibility of any unseen damage that could be a safety issue. From a company stand point, repairing the bike may lead to unacceptable exposure down the road than going ahead and totaling the bike up front. Liability thoughts aside, even from a $$ sense, it gets to the point of totaling pretty quick when a shop starts replacing major components.

This would be my thought process if this was to happen to me....

Be prepared for what I feel the bike is worth and ready to negotiate. They may offer next to nothing for any farkles on the bike, so either see if they will let me take them off or if they say they add no value to the bike, then I can work a deal on keeping the "salvage"

Kind of like buying a car / trade in.... get an agreed value on the bike before I talk of keeping the salvage. Once I have an agreed actual cash value, ACV, then ask what the salvage value amount is they have calculated. They will have used this amount and other fees to determine if it make more sense $$ wise to total than repair. (Unless they are deciding to total it due to the liability exposure as noted above.) Remember they have salvage yard fees, both storage and auction, that they will no longer incur if I decide to keep the bike. So they do have a vested interest in letting me keep the salvage as well.

If I were to take an ACV settlement less the salvage value and keep the bike, I can then decide myself if it makes more sense to have it repaired, or just get another bike and part out the old one.

Last edited by ArkieRider; 03-05-2015 at 08:45 AM.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-05-2015, 11:21 AM
$tromtrooper

Glad to hear you're ok.

I'll echo chirosyd's comment about making sure to be "made whole", obviously within reason. Once you sign off saying you're "OK" again, then it's over (was my understanding anyway). I'm not a believer in taking people (or insurance companies) to the cleaners, but I do believe they need to fulfill their obligation to restore you and your motorcycle to the condition you were in before the accident, plus compensate for loss of work/wages, and any other related costs.

When I went over the bars on my WRR a couple years ago, the lady's insurance company (Shelter) actually took care of me VERY well. I came out way ahead on the bike repairs (opting for upgrades vs cosmetic repairs), they took care of all the medical bills, chiropractor bills for 8 weeks, and I unexpectedly ended up with a small settlement from it as well. Personally I was glad I decided to go ahead and go to the ER to be checked out, as well as the chiropractor (who sent me for an MRI...). My initial reaction was to just get on the bike and ride home, which would not have been a good idea since I almost went into shock while sitting in the Ambulance while they kept asking me questions.

My wife was involved in a multiple-car-rear-end collision, and her case was a mess from the get go, took several years to settle with lawyers were involved, got an extremely lousy settlement, and has a bad disc in her back now.

Last edited by zekester63; 03-05-2015 at 11:23 AM.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-05-2015, 11:50 AM
Banned

sub-frame

the sub-frame is probably wasted. sub-frame is steel. bolts to main frame.

------------------------------------
V-Strom (Suzuki DL1000) | Fuelly
post #7 of 16 Old 03-05-2015, 12:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Don't talk to the insurance directly. Get a lawyer. Don't even discuss bike damage with them.
You lawyer will do all of that. They also do not take anything from the bike damage payout.

You can most likely get the bike totaled and replaced.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-05-2015, 12:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Lawyers cost money. Sometimes a lot of money. Sometimes it is money well spent. Not always.

Get your estimates of the bike damage from a good shop. If it is close to totaling, get very good ideas of the retail price of buying an identical bike. State law determines at what percentage of loss the vehicle must be totaled. In some states it is fairly easy to buy the bike back, fix it, get it inspected, and get a clean title after the total. In other states it is very difficult and not worth the bother. As described above, sometimes the insurance company is very good to deal with, and sometimes they're horrible. Let us know how it works out.

Don't sign off on your medical claim until several months have passed, maybe a year, so you know that everything was taken care of. It is OK to sign off on the damage to your bike and riding gear as soon as you get an acceptable offer.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Lawyer would be a last resort only.... once you come to a complete impass with insurance company. The lawyer will ALWAYS be there to take "his share" of your settlement. I would attempt to work it out on your own first... at least regarding the property damage. Be sure you have exhausted all negotiations with them yourself before going the lawyer route.... imo of course. Just because you get a lawyer does NOT mean your settlement will be bigger, but it can certainly be smaller than it otherwise would be, once he takes his cut.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Log everything

I was in my pickup, stopped, waiting for traffic to clear so I could turn left and was hit from behind by a guy in another pickup doing in excess of 40mph. A witness from behind said he never hit his brakes. He refused treatment and was arrested at the scene for DUI.

Of course you will have records of actual expenses. But, one of the things that helped me was to create a journal of everything that resulted from the crash. That meant things like: trip to the ER, days of work lost during recovery, pain any time it prevents you from doing something especially work, time spent for each medical appointment and how much was lost from work for each, time dealing with your insurance, cost of meds (prescription and OTC), time spent on getting your bike back in shape or replacing it, etc...

This helped me realize the true impact that the wreck had on me. When dealing with the other guy's insurance, I just mentioned the existence of this log and they doubled their initial settlement offer. Another mention of getting a lawyer and giving him the log "because my friends say I should" and they upped the offer again.

In the end I don't feel like I took anyone to the cleaners, but I also feel like I received fair compensation for the real impact, not just the financial costs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode