Nubie Introduction and Question - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-04-2015, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Nubie Introduction and Question

I just took delivery of a new 2014 DL650A and would like to introduce myself to the forum. I downsized from an BMW R1100RT that I put over 115,000 miles on, visiting all continental 49 states. Now it's time for customization so that it will fit my older body. I did all my own maintenance on the R1100. I've need to install a center stand, heated grips and hand guards. I don't anticipate any problems with them as there nice posts on how to do them.

My first question is much more basic. I went to move the stock windshield to its highest setting and wanted to get information on the easiest way to remove the rubber caps without destroying them. Flat screwdriver to lift edge and then needle nose pliers and just pull? I also have a question about what remains from the mounting points that were just used. There seems to be a rubber washer/plug with a metal insert left. Do the caps when removed just cover this plug, or does it have to be moved to the new location? I'm hesitant to just use force to pull the cap from the new location, but if that is what it takes, no problem. Just thought I would ask first.

I will be installing aftermarket shield shortly, but it's a couple of months down the road. I will post a picture of bike when it warms up here in Maryland.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-04-2015, 10:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

Just did this. As you no doubt already know, the rubber well nuts have the thin (too thin?) flat washer top, which you can see on the outside. There is a brass nut cast into the bottom, under the fairing. In between is a swelling that squishes out and bears against the inside surface of the fairing as you tighten the nut.

If you grab the flat washer top and slowly work the nut out, bit by bit, moving your grip around and around the top, the swollen part will squish in and allow removal.

The rubber of the well nut is surprisingly tough, but I think the flat washer top is too thin. I expect it to tear one of these days, so I am going to get a couple or three extras to throw in my toolbox.

Also, the top washer is so thin it is too flexible, and I accidentally pushed it through the fairing when installing the screw. Fortunately, it was just barely threaded onto the screw, so it didn't drop inside the fairing and get lost behind the headlight bowls. I was able to reach up inside and grab the nut so I didn't lose it.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-04-2015, 12:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

That's what I call downsizing! Enjoy your new bike and welcome to the forum.

Ride safe!
V Strom DL650 - 2013 Riding
V Strom DL1000 - 2007 Sold
Honda Shadow 750 - 2000 Sold

post #4 of 9 Old 03-04-2015, 01:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Welcome from a fellow Marylander (Dundalk)
post #5 of 9 Old 03-05-2015, 10:23 AM
Stromthusiast!

I use a thin plastic tool I made for this job from a discarded hotel key card.
Also I would suggest getting a few more well nuts just to have around, they like to go wondering and or get stuck.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-05-2015, 01:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

CharlieE:

Welcome! I also came from the Beemer world (R100GS Bumble Bee; R100GS Paris Dakar and a K1100LT) and am really enjoying the '13 DL650A I have. The decreased weight, handling, and 'nimbleness' are thoroughly enjoyable. My LD/Iron Butt days are over, leaving that to the younger guys now, but this bike is going to allow me to continue to ride, hopefully way into my 70's. :-)

Before obtaining another windscreen just give the OEM one a good tryout first. When I first arrived here on the forum a new windscreen was one of the first things everyone suggested but for myself, I like the wind and with an old AeroStich with about 160K on it and a new Shoei full face lid the wind just doesn't bother me much.

I lowered the screen for the summer to increase the wind and ventilation here in Hotlanta and just recently raised it to its highest setting and it isn't bad, not bad at all. I did add Suzook hand guards and they help tremendously with the chillier temps and the grip heaters my wife bought me for Christmas are just icing on the cake. A moderate PITA installation but nothing too bad.

So just give the original screen some time. Same with the seat. I like the stock seat but I do occasionally use my old but bulletproof AirHawk seat cushion on longer rides. Having Beemers for so long I did have Bill Russell build me a couple of seats-I even rode from ATL to northern California once for a 'custom fitting' at the factory...but they weren't perfect either; nor was the Day Long I had on the PD.

Each to their own....but I find this bike, in stock trim, just about the best, for ME, than any other bike I've ever had....and I have had a bunch over the decades. 400K+ miles so far....and this 'little' V-Strom is one of the nicest, most comfortable bikes I have ever ridden. YMMV, of course, but put some miles on it before breaking out the AmEx card on "additions". :mrgreen:

Again, welcome and enjoy that V! Stay in touch!

Cheers!

Pat

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

#64-> White V-Strom Group! :-)
Poopy head #2 here....
post #7 of 9 Old 03-05-2015, 06:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hello and welcome,

I moved the windshield from the middle position to the highest and felt more buffeting so dropped it back to middle. By the way, I am 5'10".

2012 650 Expedition-well farkled
post #8 of 9 Old 03-05-2015, 07:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rod View Post
CharlieE:

Before obtaining another windscreen just give the OEM one a good tryout first. ...............

+1

I have the Adventure model with the adjustable laminar lip and moving it up and down does very little to the airflow IMO.

I find most of the bad air is coming in around the lower part of the windscreen and tumbling around the handlebars/mirrors and raising and lowing the windscreen doesn't do much. You can try some of those clear wind blockers that mount at the windshield/fairing transition but I just moved the handlebar arrangement around instead. See this link... https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2...inglets-2.html

I put on 2" up and back risers, mirror extenders (with gps mounts) and hand guards. Did many back to back 12hour days last May in the windy out west and no issues.

Last edited by Kbetts; 03-05-2015 at 07:27 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-07-2015, 04:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

I work a very small screwdriver under the thin rubber washer and gently pry them out. The next time you are at your dealer, pick up a few extra well nuts. I accidently pushed one through, and it ended up in the black hole on the inside of the fairing somewhere. I never did find it. Welcome aboard, and congrats on your new bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode