Routing power to over-the-dash GPS - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 03-03-2015, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Routing power to over-the-dash GPS

Hello,

New DL650 rider here – picked up my new 2014 EXP less than a week ago. Driving it away from the dealer I didn't want to stop! I can hardly wait for the summer and some planned tours throughout BC and Alberta.

I am planning to mount an over-the-dash GPS – I have ordered the Line of Sight GPS Mount from Ravetech.

My question has to do with wiring: what is the best path to route the power from the battery to over the dash? Getting power to the handle bars seems very easy; however, the top of the dash seems “sealed”. I would prefer not to have the cable exposed and looped around the side of the dash. I have not seen any examples on-line on how people have brought power to the top of their dash.

Any suggestions for a clean solution would be great.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-03-2015, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Can't help you with wiring since I always put my GPS on my Left Handlebar but:

Welcome aboard!!!! Crazy fanatastic scenery and riding in BC and Alberta! Where are you in BC?

You might want to stop in the Canadian Section in Regional Forums and say hello.

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 200,000+ km, 125,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #3 of 25 Old 03-03-2015, 02:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

i'm in on this too. just bought my bracket from rick and am mounting to a 2013 with a madstad windscreen.....

Bill Cooper (dba "drug dawg")
1994 Mazda Miata M-edition
2012 VStrom 650A
<applicant for "Official Pharmacist of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" (R)>

post #4 of 25 Old 03-03-2015, 02:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

I pulled the instrument panel out, put about a 3/8" notch with grommet in the top edge, and routed the wires through there.
post #5 of 25 Old 03-03-2015, 02:49 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
I drilled a small hole in the front of the fairing that is covered by the GPS mount. One of the rubber plugs that covers the spare holes for the windscreen mount can also be pulled for access. The connector to the instrument panel has an orange wire with a green stripe that is ignition on hot and a black wire with a white stripe for ground.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #6 of 25 Old 03-03-2015, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
Can't help you with wiring since I always put my GPS on my Left Handlebar but:

Welcome aboard!!!! Crazy fanatastic scenery and riding in BC and Alberta! Where are you in BC?

You might want to stop in the Canadian Section in Regional Forums and say hello.

..Tom
Thanks Tom! I’m pretty excited to have the V-Strom.

I live in downtown Vancouver, right next to Stanley Park. Lots of great half-day rides from here, including a nice ride up to Squamish and back. Just dealing with traffic right around home can be a bit of a pain.

Now that my CBR500 is gone (new rider – that was my learning bike for the past 18 months), I’m looking forward to longer trips. I have family in Alberta, so I thought Vancouver->Edmonton->Calgary->Vancouver would make a great summer trip.

Also I have trips to Lillooet, Penticton and Vancouver Island planned over the next couple of months.

We have been really lucky with the weather here Tom! It has been sunny and fairly warm for weeks! The dealer I picked the bike up said they had their best sales in February ever.

I will check it out the regional forums.
post #7 of 25 Old 03-03-2015, 04:21 PM
$tromtrooper

Small notch with a chainsaw file did the trick for me. The cable lays nicely along the "groove" when the GPS isn't on the bike. I also have a small rubber cap for the cable so it doesn't stay exposed when not in use.

post #8 of 25 Old 03-03-2015, 04:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Congrats on the new bike the EXP looks awesome!

On the 2005 there was enough room to run the wire under the windshield and down to the battery. It's hard to explain but I'll see if I have any pics tonight. No drilling, cutting, etc. Not sure if will apply to your bike though.

I'd run it straight to the battery if you do any camping. It's nice to leave the phone/gps charging up while you sit around the fire! I try not to charge the phone/gps while riding unless i have too as the vibrations on the connection make me nervous!

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad

Last edited by tenny80; 03-03-2015 at 04:25 PM.
post #9 of 25 Old 03-03-2015, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
I drilled a small hole in the front of the fairing that is covered by the GPS mount. One of the rubber plugs that covers the spare holes for the windscreen mount can also be pulled for access. The connector to the instrument panel has an orange wire with a green stripe that is ignition on hot and a black wire with a white stripe for ground.
Thanks. I'm waiting for the mount to arrive so I haven't removed the windscreen to investigate. But I did notice the holes with the rubber plugs and was already thinking about this. My was thinking about running the Zumo 590 cable from there, under the side fairing to the battery.

Is there any need to seal the hole?
post #10 of 25 Old 03-03-2015, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekester63 View Post
Small notch with a chainsaw file did the trick for me. The cable lays nicely along the "groove" when the GPS isn't on the bike. I also have a small rubber cap for the cable so it doesn't stay exposed when not in use.
This looks great! Thanks for the picture too - I'm trying to visualize the different options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode