Inner fork tube replacement - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-24-2015, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Inner fork tube replacement

Hi all,

I bent an inner fork tube, and I need a new one. Anyone know what my options are, I've seen some from the EU for $$$. Can I swap for another? Threading seems like more of a concern than length. Local (Honda) shop didn't recommend straightening . Thoughts, opinions, help? Thanks!

When in doubt, throttle out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-24-2015, 10:42 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejhunter View Post
Hi all,

I bent an inner fork tube, and I need a new one. Anyone know what my options are, I've seen some from the EU for $$$. Can I swap for another? Threading seems like more of a concern than length. Local (Honda) shop didn't recommend straightening . Thoughts, opinions, help? Thanks!
Not sure what you mean by "threading" in this context, you need a fork tube for your bike, it's not a mix 'n match part.

I'd just buy a new one from Suzuki.

One's on ebay are generally from a wrecked bike, they may be straight, they might not be. A lot of times the seller doesn't realize that the tubes are tweaked a little.

Rich Desmond
'07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '99 SV650 (race bike), '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350, '08 Ducati 848

Last edited by RichDesmond; 02-24-2015 at 10:45 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-25-2015, 01:57 AM
Stromthusiast!

There are a few companies who make fork tubes to order. Can't recall any names off hand. I once saw a thread somewhere about a guy who bought his own wrecked Wee from the insurer and bought a custom tube set. He gave the price and I remember thinking it was quite reasonable, much less than OE. It was a few years ago. I am building a Wee from a wreck and I am using DR650 upper/inner tubes. But that is a whole 'nother can of worms that I cannot yet personally vouch for. Maybe in the next week or so. Good luck.

post #4 of 6 Old 02-25-2015, 11:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

fork tubes

You can google search fork tubes and find two or 3 places that sell them, I am on my 5th motorcycle wreck and have straightened the tubes on all of them including the present 2012 Glee adventure, If they are not to bad you can straighten them in a press with v blocks and a dial indicator without taking them apart. This system has worked great every time for me and have traveled thousands of miles on these forks after repairing them, There is someone in Tennessee I found by google search that will straighten then and your triple tree if you can not do it yourself or no machine shop around you is willing to do it.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-25-2015, 08:58 PM

Forking by Frank has always been my go-to place for fork tubes. Been in business since 1966 and they've always been high quality, reasonably priced and just tiny bit prickly to deal with. They should be able to fix you up.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-26-2015, 09:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

I bent a fork on a beemer once, Buchannans in So Cal straightened it out no sweat. It wasn't kinked though.
David Moore in Hesperia Ca is another possibility. 760 240-4590
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode