Progressive vs. AAA - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 02-24-2015, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Progressive vs. AAA

Anyone have experience with Progressive insurance roadside assistance? I dropped my AAA RA for the VStrom because it was cheaper to get it with Progressive along with my insurance. Thankfully, I've never needed to use it, but I"ve heard from some guys who ride that they don't trust Progressive's RA, mostly because they had bad experiences with it.

Of course, this could be the local towing company's fault, but I'm wondering if it's more systemic. Just planned a long trip for the summer and kinda nervous now in case I break down. Any thoughts?

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-24-2015, 07:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Had Progressive for several years until 2005. I was riding on a very busy road when my bike quit. I called and was put on hold five minutes. Hung up and called again. Same thing... I think 20 minutes total of being on hold on a sunny clear day. Never understood why and really didn't care. Called my wife and did my own recovery.

Dropped them ASAP and I have never regretted it. I pay an extra $50 a year for AAA RV Gold Plus and enjoyed many worry free miles since. Have only used them once for a car and they treated my roadside emergency as important to them as it was to me. Even better, they took care of my wife when she had a flat tire on a busy road. Well done.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-24-2015, 08:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Maybe Progressive has different levels of roadside assistance but last time I considered it, the covered towing distance was like 5 miles or so - pretty worthless. AAA pays for 100 miles IIRC but the RV membership I bought from them last year for my bikes was over $100 and that was the only option - nothing cheaper.

post #4 of 21 Old 02-24-2015, 09:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zener View Post
Maybe Progressive has different levels of roadside assistance but last time I considered it, the covered towing distance was like 5 miles or so - pretty worthless. AAA pays for 100 miles IIRC but the RV membership I bought from them last year for my bikes was over $100 and that was the only option - nothing cheaper.
AAA covers the driver, not the vehicle. AAA Plus RV is $110 plus $30 for every extra driver here in AAACarolina.

I think Consumer Reports compares different companies... Roadside Assistance Programs - Consumer Reports

Another Comparison...
How to pick the best roadside assistance program - Living On The Cheap

Like they say, a call to Progressive may be viewed by them as a claim against your insurance and your rates will reflect it.
post #5 of 21 Old 02-24-2015, 09:31 PM
Bikeless 4 now

Garage
I have been using Better World Club for years. Read about AAA and you'll find that they spend money on lobbying AGAINST mass transportation because the more cars on the road the more money they make.
post #6 of 21 Old 02-24-2015, 09:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

AMA for me.
post #7 of 21 Old 02-24-2015, 10:54 PM
$tromtrooper

I have AAA roadside plus rv option for the bike. Used it a couple times over the years. Worked fine. Plus I do like their maps.

14 tooth for me
post #8 of 21 Old 02-26-2015, 09:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernac View Post
AMA for me.
Hmm. I'm an AMA member and remember there's something about roadside assistance, which I've never had to invoke and just realized I don't have the info on me if I were to need it. Is it on the card I don't carry? What's their coverage like (given the 5 mile warning about Progressive, and the story about never getting through on the phone, how does the AMA service work and compare)?
post #9 of 21 Old 02-26-2015, 09:30 AM
$tromtrooper

If you can't find your AAA card, request another. It has their toll free number and the plan you're on. You can confirm your coverage by calling them. They're happy to upgrade anytime!

Sorry to hear about poor Progressive service. I decided to drop AAA and go with Progressive but I need to find out if they cover Canada. I know AAA does but they've gotten awfully pricey!

'15 Tiger800 XRx
'99 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
'89 Honda NX250

"Why don't I have tattoos? For the same reason you don't put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari."
post #10 of 21 Old 02-26-2015, 10:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernac View Post
AMA for me.
+1

AMA Roadside Assistance Program
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode