trip done and dusted - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 02-22-2015, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

trip done and dusted

Well i just finished a bit of a ride around , I said to the wife last week i'm going to go for a ride i'll be home in a week .

Well it started off good , i had every intention of going from Adelaide , to Geelong approx 1000 klm along the Great Ocean road , from there i was to head over to Bairnsdaile and do the Alpine road , and head back to Adelaide , covering approx 3000klm . Time was not an issue so a big day and a small day depending on the mood was in order .

So i starts off , my bike has the rox risers , a must for me , and the lowering links , and footpeg lowering thingy bobs . .

A couple of things i put on the bike a few weeks ago were the givi airflow screen and the 2 brothers exhaust , along with a set of anakee 3 tyres

So I set off , and one of the best mods to this bike without a doubt was the screen , it just cut out all the horrible loud , and irritating wind noise , it really quietened the noise down , buffetting was never an issue for me just wind noise , I have it on the lowest setting , BUT i did try it on a higher setting and got buffetting , On lowest setting its perfect

Now the exhaust leaving home , i hit the hills and spent 45 minuites just amuzing myself listening to that amazing growl that came out has i went up and down the gears , it was better than music ,

But and theres always a but , on the straight road sitting on a constant 100-110 kl/p/h , it was annoying , the screen quieting down the wind allowed the exhaust to take over and it was to loud for constant travel . but it was easy fixed , i put my earplugs in .

When i hit hills and twisty stuff in adelaide , and the ocean road , i listen to the exhaust , when on the open road i put the earplugs in .

Now i started off and done 500 klm stopped for the night all good except a bit butt sore , i'm used to long journeys on my rocket tourer which is an armchair compared to the v strom ,, 2nd day i get to Geelong , and after 250 klm i was squirming in my seat it felt like a brick , so i put my air hawk on , it was a bit better but not much , i don't paticular like them , i just brought it in case .

Now i'm at Geelong had a good 2 days ride and reaccessed everything , i had made 2 gigantic stuffups

Stuffup num 1 , was i asked my wife while i was packing to jump on the net and look up the weather for the Great Alpine road , mountains area ,, she informed me , it was going to be rain and storms , , so no worries .

Stuffup num 2 , based on that info i choice my waterproof jacket with a liner, and waterproof pants with liner , plus a pair of kevlar jeans for riding in . ,
Anyway after 2 days , riding , its getting hotter , once in Geelong i get on the weather its getting hotter it was 38 degrees and i was roasting ,

I reavaluated and thought this is not enjoable its 2 hot i've got the wrong gear on , and this seat is like a brick .

So i change plans i head 100klms away to ballarat and visit my sister , got there on the friday morn and just chilled out talking shit with the brother in law, good guy wev'e been mates since we were 12 , .

Anyway it got hotter and hotter , and i decided to call it a day and head home , only 700 klm and something i would normaly do easy in a day , but the shorter way was also the hottest , and it was horrible , travveling in 40-42 degrees on long horrible straight roads, i found myself cursing the seat , and thinking of ways to torture my missis for the false info on the weather

Now when i asked her what she was on about , rain and cold , she explained they said there was a cyclone coming that way ... Er derr , i said thats in Queensland 2000 klm away , Oh she answered , is'nt that part of the Alpine road .. Now if you know my missis , you would imagine her , pissing herself laughing at how hot and uncomfortable i was

End result bike was flawless , it was all anyone would ever need , but for me , its not a long distance bike , i know i can get other seats , but the lower seat which i have is even worse for comfort , a seat like the russl day would suit but bring the bike back to being to tall . So the Vstrom is going to be relagated for trips less than 300 klm , but it was a worthwhile excesise , i now know its not a comfortable tourer , (for me ).

Plus because i never finished it , the wife said lets go do it on the rocket in a couple of weeks . So now i get to go back in comfort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-22-2015, 10:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

Excellent report. I imagine most of the folks here in the U.S. are, at the moment, jealous of your hot weather.

A 700 km day is pretty doable for me as well, but I'd be hating life if I had to do it on the stock seat. My 2012 definitely required an aftermarket saddle.

I hear you on the hot weather. As I live in the HOT desert SouthWest, cooling is something I'm always searching for. I'm thinking seriously about investing in this product: CTC - Home

2012 DL650A Adv.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-23-2015, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Cooling i forgot to mention that , It can certainly start to get too you after a while in anything over 37-38 , I done 200 klm coming back and it was getting latish so i stopped Kangeroos are a worry at dawn or dusk .

Next day i planned to set of at 6 am and beat the heat , but all good plans go haywire , i stopped for food , at the servo when i filled , and the chef decided she was on a go slow , ended up being 8.30 am before i set of it was 35 by 9.30 and 38 by 10.am .

I also never slept much the night before and after a hour of riding i was tired , hot and bothered , actually found myself starting to lose concentration , and at one point , while riding shut my eyes , so that was it next town pulled over in a layby , it was 10.30 i lay down on a bench and woke up at 11.45 ,, i must of needed it .

I woke up feeling like a new man refreshed and ready to go , but it was 42 degrees clsius thats 108 faraneight . .

So to cool down , and help with the heat , what i done was what i always do in extreme heat . Took my jacket off and helmit , took off my t shirt and went to the servo toilet , there i just put my t shirt in the sink , along with a badana and completly soak them , then put on my jacket and helmit and ride , i find i get about an hour of comfort and do it again at the next town . and consume lots of water at each stop ,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode