She's a Wee bit dead - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-19-2015, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

She's a Wee bit dead

Came out to go to my faithful Wee to go to work the other morning. Turned the key but did not hear the usual routine of fuel pump, etc. Hit the starter button and she spun over great (good battery) but no start. I switched the key on & off a few times and it went back to normal. Rode it 25 miles to work, no problem. Next morning the problem resurfaced and can't get it to go at all now.
Instead of the usual speedo & tach gyrations, the fuel gauge has a dash pulsing across the fuel level graph. I get the FI alert like I did a while back when the vac line came off the sensor on the airbox. But, unlike that event, this issue keeps the motor from starting.
My son says it's either a bad ground or a pinched fuel line. If it were a pinched line I would think it would show up right after I lifted the tank last. But that was 200 miles ago.
Does anyone know what the dash across the fuel meter indicate? I'll be lifting the tank this weekend to take a look. I'm leaning toward an electrical issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-19-2015, 09:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE GOOD View Post
Came out to go to my faithful Wee to go to work the other morning. Turned the key but did not hear the usual routine of fuel pump, etc. Hit the starter button and she spun over great (good battery) but no start. I switched the key on & off a few times and it went back to normal. Rode it 25 miles to work, no problem. Next morning the problem resurfaced and can't get it to go at all now.
Instead of the usual speedo & tach gyrations, the fuel gauge has a dash pulsing across the fuel level graph. I get the FI alert like I did a while back when the vac line came off the sensor on the airbox. But, unlike that event, this issue keeps the motor from starting.
My son says it's either a bad ground or a pinched fuel line. If it were a pinched line I would think it would show up right after I lifted the tank last. But that was 200 miles ago.
Does anyone know what the dash across the fuel meter indicate? I'll be lifting the tank this weekend to take a look. I'm leaning toward an electrical issue.

Check the battery terminals first. Check the voltage on the battery.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
post #3 of 10 Old 02-19-2015, 11:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

If you get that FI on the dash then you need to put it in dealer mode and tell us what the code(s) are. Aside from that do as spec said. But from what I've read here are some possibilities. There is a bad connection somewhere, maybe not at the battery since you said it turns over. It also possible that someone has bumped your kill switch. You may have a bad fuel pump relay, or the pump itself has gone bad. You can apply 12v straight to the pump to test it.I'd also like to know if you've put your headlights on relays? (i.e. eastern beaver relay kit)

post #4 of 10 Old 02-19-2015, 11:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Slightly off topic, but when I read wingnut11s comment about the kill switch it reminded me of a situation years ago. Came back to my bike, Triumph 750 and spent 15 minutes trying to kick start the thing. Eventually looked at the kill switch, either me or a smart ass had flicked it off.
Felt like a goose.

I know nuffink, I see nuffink, It was not me, I was not here.
IBA #45920
FarRider #299
2015 Wee Strom "Piglet"
Givi crash bars, Barkbusters, Ravetech Bash plate, Ravetech Rad guard, Ravetech over dash Ram mount, Hyperlite flashing brake lights, Madstad bracket and screen, Augustus wind deflectors, Spot 3, UHF two way radio, Garmin Zumo GPS, Starcom intercom, Fuze block.
SW Motech Centre stand, Suzuki power outlet. Bike Alarm, Screaming Banshee horn, Led Flood lights, Tool tube, Andy Strapz Expedition soft panniers and frames.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-20-2015, 12:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

Agree that the battery should still be checked, ideally load tested. An engine turning over is not a sure sign of a good battery. A battery has to turn the engine over AND send juice for a spark or two. That condition will often start right when you take your finger off the start button as the starter ceases to draw current. Or it's some other thing altogether. I'd definitely check that code.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-21-2015, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thumbs up Yep, electrical connection was problem

Problem solved! Wingnut, you were right. Problem was electrical connection to fuel pump.
I had pulled the tank and airbox to perform a full service (spark plugs, air filter, etc.) a few weeks back. Apparently when the 3-pin connector for the fuel pump was clipped back together, one of the male pins got pushed out of the connector housing just enough that an intermittant connection was occuring. It was the black/ground wire.
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-21-2015, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Mr. Wingnut; For future referrence, how do I trigger the dealer mode to read FI trouble codes?
Thanks for your help!
post #8 of 10 Old 02-21-2015, 03:21 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE GOOD View Post
how do I trigger the dealer mode to read FI trouble codes?
FAQ: Dealer Mode & FI Error Codes

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #9 of 10 Old 02-21-2015, 05:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm glad you've got it sorted out.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-24-2015, 01:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Schultz View Post
Slightly off topic, but when I read wingnut11s comment about the kill switch it reminded me of a situation years ago. Came back to my bike, Triumph 750 and spent 15 minutes trying to kick start the thing. Eventually looked at the kill switch, either me or a smart ass had flicked it off.
Felt like a goose.
Could be worse. Once, I couldn't figure out why my bike wouldn't start after fueling up at a gas station. Not with the clutch pulled in, not in neutral - nothing, not even the engine trying to turn over, though the headlights and instruments were all lit up. Flicked the kill switch off and on a bunch of times, nope, that wasn't it.

...I had my kickstand down. Usually I don't put it down to gas up, since I can refuel while seated on the bike; this time I had kicked it down while thinking of dismounting to check something in my luggage, then decided not to, never got off the bike and forgot I'd put the stand down.

On the reverse side of that coin, I once saw another rider - a new rider - in the same predicament at a gas station, whose bike "just wouldn't start all of a sudden". I looked over and saw the kickstand down. So I told him to do a magic incantation, to chant "Honda Yamaha Harley Fun, Let My Motorcycle Run" while walking in a circle around his motorcycle counterclockwise, and then to try again. He looked at me like I was insane, but I insisted, and it worked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode