Getting ready for riding season - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-17-2015, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Getting ready for riding season

Hello. I am getting my bike (2013 DL650ABS) ready for the riding season although I ride whenever the weather here in SW VA allows. I am somewhat confused by all the info out there. I have 12,000 miles on the bike, bought new in September of 2013. I have changed the oil three times, filter once. I am going to renew the air filter and do a valve clearance check. I was wondering if you fellows could give me some input as to whether or not to change the spark plugs or not and do you all have suggestions (Part nos and manufacturers of Plugs, air filter, etc) as to the parts to be used. I am going to use factory parts or equal quality parts as I am not interested in any performance modifications. The bike is perfectly satisfactory to me as is. I am planning a few long trips for the summer and medium trips as mood strikes me. Thanks in advance for any tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-17-2015, 01:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

I believe that all 2012 and up models have platinum tipped spark plugs. You should be good for at least 60,000 miles.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-17-2015, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You always have a riding season!!!! :mrgreen: I would forgo the valve inspection, you have a ways to go before you even need to consider that IMHO. I believe your plugs are iridium "somebody will correct me if I am wrong" and even if they are not, the non iridium last quite some time. Air filter check is a good idea, but I am sure you can clean it well enough to keep for another 12K or so. Change oil filter every other change, that is what I recommend although some will poo poo that. Inspect your brake pads and check overall tightness of all bolts, keep your chain adjusted and lubed. Ensure your throttle cable play is within spec, and your tires are probably needing replaced soon if you have not done so already.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #4 of 6 Old 02-17-2015, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for info. I keep chain lubed, clean, and adjusted(about every 600mi) renewed tires in Sep '14 with Bridgestone Battlewings. I will check all fasteners and air filter. The manual maintenance schedule calls for somethings way too early I think. Thanks again.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-17-2015, 02:33 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhamlin48 View Post
. I have changed the oil three times, filter once.
I change my oil filter every time I change the oil..I buy them online and several at a time so they are not that expensive. For the extra few dollars it seems like a positive thing to do. ps I also put on more miles per oil change than some. I do a lot of road trips so I change my (synthetic) oil between 8 to 10,000 miles. If I'm only doing around town riding I change sooner.

"Tombstone"
S-10
My Alaskan Adventure
http://2mbstonestravels.blogspot.com/2015/04/alaska-or-bust.html

Last edited by 2mstone; 02-17-2015 at 02:36 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-17-2015, 03:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

The last time I changed the plugs they had a bit over 50K on them. They were in very good shape. Can see no reason to change them after 12K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode