Vista vs. NEP cruise control - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-15-2015, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Vista vs. NEP cruise control

I've read good and bad on both. I have a dealer installed heated grip. Can anyone make a recommendation which one to buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-16-2015, 06:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
I've read good and bad on both. I have a dealer installed heated grip. Can anyone make a recommendation which one to buy?

Neither.

Get a Go Cruise works great.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
post #3 of 11 Old 02-16-2015, 07:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have only used the Go Cruise style as mentioned above... Have liked it so far!

2014 Vstrom 650
John 16:33

post #4 of 11 Old 02-16-2015, 09:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

Vista Cruise

I had a Go Cruise. I did not like it at all. Was seriously thinking about doing the full -blown car cruise control, but wanted to wait until Winter, so I didn't miss any riding weather. The Go Cruise was pretty useless, it was so cumbersome, that I rarely even used it.

I read good things about the Vista Cruise & decided to try it until the Winter. I installed it at the same time I added Tusk grip heaters & foam grips. I couldn't be happier. I wasn't expecting much, as it basically works as the same principal as the Go Cruise. However, the Vista Cruise FAR exceeds my experience with the Go Cruise. It is so good that I am no longer considering doing the real cruise control.

I have the Go Cruise on another bike now. It does work well enough if you just need to stretch your right arm, but requires more dexterity than I possess to use it very often.

The problem with any of these type throttle locks is they have to be constantly "tweaked" to maintain a constant speed unless the road has zero changes in grade. That is what seperates Vista Cruise from Go Cruise. Small adjustments to keep a constant speed are very easy & precise with the Vista.

BTW - I have no experience with the NEP.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-16-2015, 09:27 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Both the NEP and Vista are friction type but they don't have to be reset like the go cruise does it you change throttle position. I had an NEP on the 2007 and a Universal Vista on the 2005. Each required a little tweaking to fit and each worked as well as the other. The Vista is available in the Universal that has an arm across the switch housing or as a very similar unit to the NEP.

Universal Vista Cruise on my 2005

Vista Cruise with Hot Grips by Greywolf, V-Strom rider, on Flickr

NEP on my 2007

dl650A right handlebar closeup by Greywolf, V-Strom rider, on Flickr

The "other" Vista Cruise from https://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom-...e-control.html

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #6 of 11 Old 02-16-2015, 09:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Vista Universal Cruise Control

Everything I said earlier was about the Vista UNIVERSAL Cruise Control. Sorry if I confused anyone. I didn't realize there was another Vista.

Last edited by Hoo Dini; 02-19-2015 at 07:32 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-16-2015, 10:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoo Dini View Post
I had a Go Cruise. I did not like it at all. Was seriously thinking about doing the full -blown car cruise control, but wanted to wait until Winter, so I didn't miss any riding weather. The Go Cruise was pretty useless, it was so cumbersome, that I rarely even used it.

I read good things about the Vista Cruise & decided to try it until the Winter. I installed it at the same time I added Tusk grip heaters & foam grips. I couldn't be happier. I wasn't expecting much, as it basically works as the same principal as the Go Cruise. However, the Vista Cruise FAR exceeds my experience with the Go Cruise. It is so good that I am no longer considering doing the real cruise control.

I have the Go Cruise on another bike now. It does work well enough if you just need to stretch your right arm, but requires more dexterity than I possess to use it very often.

The problem with any of these type throttle locks is they have to be constantly "tweaked" to maintain a constant speed unless the road has zero changes in grade. That is what seperates Vista Cruise from Go Cruise. Small adjustments to keep a constant speed are very easy & precise with the Vista.

BTW - I have no experience with the NEP.

The Go Cruise seems pretty easy to use to me, just set it with your index finger. It disengages by just rolling the throttle foward. Also you have free throttle movement past your set point, handy for passing.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
post #8 of 11 Old 02-16-2015, 10:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Kaoko = hassel

I put on a Kaoko and its a pain to use. When my hands sleeping, twisting down the bar-end nut with my pinky is very difficult, and twisting it back up is also a pain. I wish i'd gotten another type now.

'09 Wee (silver) ABS

'05 Honda Big Ruckus 250 scooter
post #9 of 11 Old 02-17-2015, 04:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have had a Vista Cruise on several bikes and the NEP on the DL1K. I guess I liked the way the Vista Cruise works better than the NEP. You should know that a Vista Cruise (or NEP) will require some mods, as they are not designed for this bike (or any bike these days). Typically, you will need to smooth the throttle tube near the switch housing for a good operation (there always seems to be some plastic ridge that gets in the way).

I have a Go Cruise too. It's OK - it was useful when I rode the bike up after picking it up in LA given that it requires no setup, but eventually, I decided I much prefer the way a Vista Cruise and installed one of those on the 650 too.

Gustavo
post #10 of 11 Old 02-18-2015, 02:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

I just installed the NEP, it takes some time as you need to grind off the ridge closest to the throttle housing to make enough room. I used the CC-3 model (for Honda, square tab designed to go between dual cables) as I knew I would have to make a bracket to have the thumb latch / release in the right position. Having the square tab allows for easier connection to your bracket.

I have always used NEP as they are thinner than Vista, and sometimes fit without modification. In this case, after you grind the ridge of the throttle tube, a Vista would fit and does look a bit sturdier than NEP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1993.JPG (79.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1999.JPG (78.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2001.JPG (71.9 KB, 45 views)

DL650AL4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode