New Adventure, Dead Battery - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-13-2015, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

New Adventure, Dead Battery

This is both happy and sad:

I got a 0 miles 2013 Glee Adventure, which I absolutely love. I traded UP Up UP from a Shadow RS 750 (I told my wife I really didn't have a motorcycle before the Glee, thats how big the difference is).

Again, I love the bike butttt..

I had a dead battery on days 2 and 3. I engaged the parking lock mode, which I now know leaves the taillights on and drains the battery. I got a jump (not from a car) and rode home about 30 miles. When I got home, I let the bike sit for a bit and then started it again, to make sure the battery was sufficiently re-charged.

Day 3, it was dead again in the morning. I ordered an overnight slow-charger that plugs into the wall. I will leave the battery to fully charge tonight and if I still have problems, I'll bring it into the dealer for an industrial charge.

My question is this: I have a 90 watt jacket, pants, and gloves, all heated, plus a 12V hookup currently pulling off of the battery. I plan to add a 10 pack of LED light pods. Am I over-stressing the battery?

Thanks guys! I'm happy to join the Stromtrooper ranks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-13-2015, 12:32 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Install a voltmeter. 12.6-12.8V is about break even. Less is discharging and more is charging. Your load of heated gear is probably right around the maximum but I doubt you'd run at full heat all the time. Figure less than 145W will be available at running rpm and less at idle. Basic V-Strom Wiring 101
What is the draw on that 12V hookup though? Running a battery completely dead can affect its ability to hold a charge.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #3 of 13 Old 02-13-2015, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
Install a voltmeter. 12.6-12.8V is about break even. Less is discharging and more is charging. Your load of heated gear is probably right around the maximum but I doubt you'd run at full heat all the time. Figure less than 145W will be available at running rpm and less at idle. Basic V-Strom Wiring 101[/url]
What is the draw on that 12V hookup though? Running a battery completely dead can affect its ability to hold a charge.
I'll give the voltmeter a try, thanks!

Not sure on the 12V, I pulled it off of my old bike (previous owner install).

Does that mean I'll need a new battery, or will just have to keep an eye on it?

post #4 of 13 Old 02-13-2015, 03:05 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Have the battery load tested. Many auto parts stores do it for free. If it fails, it will need to be replaced.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #5 of 13 Old 02-13-2015, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Are you sure you didn't leave the parking light on again the 3rd day?

Been there, done that.

The steering lock does work at one less click of rotation.

Ron B. VK2OTC
2007 Yamaha XJR1300

RIP Bucko
1979-2008 - Riding on forever
post #6 of 13 Old 02-13-2015, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by p38arover View Post
Are you sure you didn't leave the parking light on again the 3rd day?

Been there, done that.

The steering lock does work at one less click of rotation.
Yeah, after getting stranded at work and missing the better part of my son's first birthday, I definitely checked to make sure when I got home that I avoided the "Parked" setting like the plague.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-13-2015, 04:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

I always turn the key right around till the parkers are on then turn it back one click.

It works for me but I carry one of those mini jumper packs under the seat just in case.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-15-2015, 08:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

I was at the International motorcycle show today in Chicago and purchased a Wistler jump and go portable jump start and power supply for $70.00. It's a small lithium battery back that can jump start your bike and takes up very little room. You can charge up electrical devices too like a phone or mp3 player. Really didnt need it but have it for when I really need it!
post #9 of 13 Old 02-15-2015, 09:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASublimeDay View Post
I got a jump (not from a car) and rode home about 30 miles. When I got home, I let the bike sit for a bit and then started it again, to make sure the battery was sufficiently re-charged.
30 miles is nowhere near enuf to recharge a dead battery, enuf for an immediate restart with warm oil and warm combustion chamber, but not enuf for a cold start

it is infact almost impossible to recharge a dead battery with a motorcycle alternator, even after riding a full tank of gas don't count on it being recharged

only reliable way is to hook it to a battery tender overnite

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

RandyO
IBA# 9560
07 Strom 1k (8x,xxx miles)
99 SV650 (135,006 miles)
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
www.gbhsurvey.com
post #10 of 13 Old 02-16-2015, 09:00 AM
$tromtrooper

One more thing, do you have a GPS plugged in? Even when turned off, my Garmin will kill my battery over several days if I leave it plugged in.

15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode