How to access windscreen nuts? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 02-12-2015, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

How to access windscreen nuts?

I just got (two weeks ago) a new 2013 WeeGlee. I'm getting the usual buffeting with the stock screen and thought I'd move it up to the top position to see if that helps. I'm stuck on how to get to the top holes in the fairing. I just can't seem to reach up into it to move the nuts into the top holes, and it's not clear to me how to remove parts of the fairing to gain better access.

Short of buying the shop manual (even though I'll have to do it sometime), can someone tell me how to get up in there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-12-2015, 10:44 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
It's all done from the front. Take the screws out. Pull out the #23 well nuts from the center holes. Remove the #11 hole covers from the top holes. Insert the well nuts in the top holes and put the covers in the center holes.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #3 of 21 Old 02-12-2015, 11:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

I would like to add to that... With the windscreen off gently thread the screws back into the well nuts to provide a hand hold to wiggle them out. After moving all the plugs to the desired locations partly thread the screws and well nuts to the screen. THEN wiggle the whole assembly and well nuts into position. Well nuts can get pushed into the inside of the fairing and disappear if not attached to something. I speak from experience.

I don't mind the going and I don't mind the stopping. I absolutely hate the stop and going.

post #4 of 21 Old 02-12-2015, 12:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scritch View Post
I just got (two weeks ago) a new 2013 WeeGlee. I'm getting the usual buffeting with the stock screen and thought I'd move it up to the top position to see if that helps...
It seems that moving the screen up should help but for me it works best in the lowest position. I tried the highest setting when I got the bike and didn't like it. Moved it back down - to lowest position as I recall.

2007 Wee. Blue. Bought at 5K miles. Sold at 32K+ miles. Gone but not forgotten.

2012 Wee2 Adventure. Black. Bought at 26K miles. Now 46K+. Love it!
post #5 of 21 Old 02-12-2015, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

It appears that it isn't quite that easy. The nuts that hold the windscreen on have rubber bodies, with thick mid-body swellings that bear on the inside of the fairing. They have thin collars on the tops to keep them from falling out when you remove the screws. They can only be removed (and replaced) from inside the fairing.

Oh, well. I guess I'll just have to ask at the dealership.
post #6 of 21 Old 02-12-2015, 12:52 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scritch View Post
They have thin collars on the tops to keep them from falling out when you remove the screws. They can only be removed (and replaced) from inside the fairing.
Absolutely not. I change my windscreens every year when the temperature changes. The well nuts come off from the front. Do not try to take them off using the screws as that makes the rubber swell more. Grip the tee tops and work them out. It's harder if the screws were overtightened. They should just be tightened enough to make the rubber swell, but they will still come out. The rubber swellings are above the metal insert so they will compress and allow removal.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #7 of 21 Old 02-12-2015, 03:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Try this to remove the well nuts:

Thread a piece of wire through the well nut. Fish the end up from behind the cowling. Hold onto both ends and push the well nut through the dash. Just have to get the lip started usually. The nut will pop off and be strung on the wire.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
post #8 of 21 Old 02-12-2015, 06:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Without going too far off topic, if you would get a Madstad bracket and windscreen, you can adjust the windscreen to your heart's desire with nothing more than two thumbscrews.
post #9 of 21 Old 02-12-2015, 08:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
No need for any tools except the allen key to undo the screws, just undo them and then slowly pull out the rubber boot which holds the nut, its tight but comes out easily by hand, then remove the grommet for the hole you want and put the boot/nut there and the grommet in the now superfluous hole, and do that for all four and screw back in the allen bolts, it is very easy to do, all done from the from, no problem.

Andrew - Brisbane QLD Australia
White 2015 650 XT (beak, wire wheels, engine crash bars, hand guards, lower cowling) with SW Motech Centre Stand, Hepco Becker Pannier Frames and Caribou Commando Panniers, Safecase Topbox, Ravetech Mini Engine Guard, Ravetech radiator Guard, Ravetech GPS mount and Lifeproof Iphone case, Interphone Bluetooth in Helmet, and all soft luggage retained only by ANDY STRAPZ strapz and loops.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-13-2015, 09:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Heat it up

I have moved them around quite a few times during warm weather & it was very easy. Trying to remove the well nuts below 50 degrees is tough. I layed a heating pad on the front cowling for 20 minutes & the well rubber softens up nicely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode