wow rear brake pads wear quickly! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 02-10-2015, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

wow rear brake pads wear quickly!

I felt something a bit graunchy on my rear brake today and to my surprise the rear pad was completely worn out and rubbing metal to metal. I was very surprised as I changed the rear pads for the first time not so long ago.

I use a lot of engine braking and I still have the original pads on the front after 30,000 miles. I don't ride the rear brake or anything and I though I was fairly light with it as I always brake harder with the front wheel.

Anyone else notice this fast wear rate? Unfortunately I didn't record the milage when I changed the rear pads but it can't have been more than 10,000 miles ago. I am pretty sure I got EBC organic pads for the back the last time. Are these reputed to wear quickly?

cheersr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 02-10-2015, 01:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

I tried one set of EBC organic pads on the rear of my 1k a few years back. They were gone in about a month. They probably would have last a little bit longer but getting the back end stuck in a wet clay hole finished them off real quick. I went back to the EBC HH pads, and even then I change them out when I get a new rear tire. But I admit I use the rear brake a lot.
post #3 of 33 Old 02-10-2015, 01:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

Stop riding with your foot on the rear brake pedal ?.

You can also adjust it so it engages lower down which may help.

Pete

post #4 of 33 Old 02-10-2015, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I definitely don't ride with my foot on the brake.
post #5 of 33 Old 02-10-2015, 02:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

Be VERY sure of that, it's the most likely cause.

Plan-B is pull the pads out, scrub everything inside the calliper down with methylated spirits, make sure there's no grit stuck in the piston and reassemble. A THIN smear of brake grease on the pin is a good idea unless you ride in sand a lot.

Check the level of fluid in the rear brake reseviour, make sure some kind mechanic didn't top it up when the pads were worn so it's overfull with new pads.

Use the front brake as Suzuki intended .

Cheers
Pete
post #6 of 33 Old 02-10-2015, 09:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

It's quite possible that the brake is misadjusted. I had that problem on one bike when moving the pedal because I lowered the peg.
A slight bit of friction can really wear them out quickly.
Some after market pads wear more quickly than factory too.
post #7 of 33 Old 02-10-2015, 12:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

A grease fitting at the rear brake lever pivot point would be a good thing too. The rear brake of my bike was dragging at that point during winter a year or two ago. A difficult-to-lube point if a fitting's not there.

2007 Wee. Blue. Bought at 5K miles. Sold at 32K+ miles. Gone but not forgotten.

2012 Wee2 Adventure. Black. Bought at 26K miles. Now 43K+. Love it!
post #8 of 33 Old 02-10-2015, 01:08 PM
$tromtrooper

Yup, I found the rear brake wear much faster than I would reasonably suspect given my braking patterns.

Also for general reference, EBC HH pads are too strong - they lock up the wheel too easily.
Vhawg likes this.

1985 Honda CB450SC (AUG04 - SEP09)
2004 Honda CN250 Helix (NOV09 - )
2006 Suzuki DL650 (MAR07 - APR15)
2014 BMW R1200GSW (APR14 - )
Lordsmoke, still refusing to obey the voices!
post #9 of 33 Old 02-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have like 34,000 miles on my rear pads, must be doing something wrong. The fronts have been replaced once I think around 25K, they look brand new still.

I think the key is pad quality and lubing the slide pins, I don't run nothing but OEM till I replace them with DP usually or OEM if I can't wait for an internet order. Every time I've had to get EBC HH I end up changing the noisy suckers out. DP pads are like stock with more longevity and they run much cleaner, no black crap running everywhere from them getting wet. But, DP can cost more than OEM sometimes...

I use my brakes together often and drag my rear in the mountains too, don't baby them at all. Engine braking is my savior of brakes probably, I keep revs up and like my curves under power. My FJR went about 30K before needing pads, tires lasted about 4,500 though. My DR650 needed pads every 10K or so because of the dirt roads...

Last edited by Sagebrush; 02-10-2015 at 01:46 PM.
post #10 of 33 Old 02-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

I too wear rear brakes first. probably cause I don't use brakes much, I just roll off throttle and when I do use brakes, it's most often for low speed maneuvering

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

RandyO
IBA# 9560
07 Strom 1k (8x,xxx miles)
99 SV650 (135,006 miles)
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
www.gbhsurvey.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode