Looking for a tanklock bag - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 02-04-2015, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Bikeless 4 now

Garage
Looking for a tanklock bag

I used a Manta magnetic bag I had for a recent trip and, although it worked, the angle of the tank did not allow for all magnets to attach right, so I'm going with a tanklock mount bag. What tanklock bag do you have? What do & don't you like about it? What do you carry in it? Does it interfere with turning or hitting the horn button, etc.? Got a picture of it on the bike? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 02-04-2015, 01:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

SW Motech City bag from Twisted Throttle, Great bag, expandable not in the way of anything, I carry all kinds of stuff, water, wallet, glasses, .357, phone, whatever else I think I need quick access to. Great quality and a great fit on the Glee.

"Dave"

If You're Gonna Be Stupid, You Better Be Hard, because stupid hurts!
I no longer own a V Strom, but I'm still here because its the best bike forum going!
post #3 of 36 Old 02-05-2015, 07:54 AM
$tromtrooper

I have the Givi T489. It's not curved to fit the tank like some bags but I use that space for my dual heat controller anyway. I think the model has changed. I couldn't find it on the Givi website however it available through the Motorcycle Superstore. I like the quick release of the tank lock for fuel stop I just lay it up on the bars. It's well made. What it normally carries is my wallet, phone, extra ear plugs, small flashlight, toll money, extra key, lighter, pen, fuses, sometimes summer gloves and when travelling my camera.

post #4 of 36 Old 02-05-2015, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Bikeless 4 now

Garage
Thanks guys. That gives me some options. I usually carry water, bandanna, knife/leatherman, wet wipes, sunglasses, power bars, ear plugs, Chapstick, camera and stuff like that, so it does weigh it down a bit. My Heat-Troller is wireless and I have that Velcroed to the master cylinder. I'd rather not drop $200+ for a Chinese piece of Cordura if I can help it, although I use a tank bag all the time for convenience.
post #5 of 36 Old 02-05-2015, 09:56 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinNC View Post
SW Motech City bag from Twisted Throttle, Great bag, expandable not in the way of anything, I carry all kinds of stuff, water, wallet, glasses, .357, phone, whatever else I think I need quick access to. Great quality and a great fit on the Glee.
+1 for Bags connection system.( Twisted Throttle ) I have the older style Engage bag which I just transferred from the 1k to the new 650. Still working great.

14 DL650 Adventure
07 DL1000 ( Sold )
05 KLR 650 ( Sold )
01 Vulcan 1500 ( Sold )
55 CJ5
post #6 of 36 Old 02-05-2015, 12:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Givi XS308

I just fitted the Givi XS308 last night. Really smooth click on and off. The handlebars are not obstructed. I can't give you my real-world experience yet as far as riding with it on..

The bag is expandable to 20L and it comes with a rainfly and a tablet holder that attaches to the top and lays over the nice sized map pocket. It will easily fit winter gloves, helmet cloth, earplugs, phone, wallet, snacks, water bottle in the main compartment. It also has a removable belt that wraps around the perimeter with 3 nice sized zipped pockets. I put my Photive Bolt portable phone charger in one of the pockets. It also comes with a sholder strap to carry items when off the bike. I plan to use that to haul around an extra camera lens or two. I can share a picture later on if that would help.

Last edited by ColoradoSagebrush; 02-05-2015 at 12:05 PM.
post #7 of 36 Old 02-05-2015, 12:08 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinNC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaghammer View Post
+1 for Bags connection system.( Twisted Throttle ) I have the older style Engage bag which I just transferred from the 1k to the new 650. Still working great.
I started out with the SW Motech Engage on my Wee and then moved up to the roomer City for longer trips. Both are great tank bags and still going strong.

2020 Eastern V-Strom Rally (website) - May 14 - 17, 2020
1966 Triumph Bonneville T-120R
1965 Suzuki 80
post #8 of 36 Old 02-05-2015, 12:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

+3 to the Givi bag (mine is the 15 liter XS307) (which does expand a hair-but don't know the overall volume).

It will NEVER set off your horn. It will carry everything you mentioned. It has a rain cover. It also has a nice, built-in map window (which I use every day. I don't like GPS's so I use maps). It also comes with another transparent pouch that affixes to the bag if you want to have your iPad housed in there. OR, it gives you an even larger map view window. +++

It takes less than a second to take it off. No magnets! No accidentally wiping your credit cards out from the magnets...but don't ask me how that can happen. :yes nod:

Two seconds to re-attach. Built-in shoulder strap. Moisture resistant zippers. Installation takes less than 5 minutes to remove the three black screws (OEM) and replace them with the 3 that come with the bag to attach the ring that the bag clicks onto.

Two other larger sizes exist, but I cannot address whether thosewill interfere with your bars if you have to go to full lock to the left. But for the 15 liter size, it does not even come close to interfering with either my horn or electric grips switch. I opted for the smallest one after years of two wheeled Long Distance riding and personally found out that heaving less weight above your tank is definitely advantageous (plus if you go too large, you WILL it with stuff you will never use). Trust me on that. :mrgreen:

Good luck with your search!

Cheers!

Pat

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

#64-> White V-Strom Group! :-)
Poopy head #2 here....
post #9 of 36 Old 02-05-2015, 12:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

+4 Givi x307 bag. Filling up gas you don't even have to remove just one latch and rotate up and forward out of the way. I use the top see thru pocket not the tablet one that also comes with to to place smart phone for GPS when needed. Off and on in a couple seconds. Very convenient for the small stuff.
post #10 of 36 Old 02-05-2015, 07:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

+5 on the Givi. I have Gen Mar risers and it does lightly touch at full turn but not enough to be an issue. It has a a plate on the bottom to move back.... which I have mine set as far back as it can go. I haven't had it long but it seems like a nice bag. Definately like the easy removal and reset for fuel ups and no worries about damage to the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode