At what mileage did you replace chain and or sprockets? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 02-01-2015, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
At what mileage did you replace chain and or sprockets?

I would like to know the mileage at which you folks have had to change the chain and or replace the sprockets on the 650's. I'd also appreciate any info on parts cost.
Tell me how you know that the chain or sprockets need replacement.
Any information, pictures or suggestions gladly accepted.
Thanks in advance...........Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 02-01-2015, 03:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

At what mileage did you replace chain and or sprokets?

I'm about due for replacement and I'm at 30,000 miles.

If your going the OEM route, I think it's much cheaper to get the chain and sprocket set and replace them all at once than get the items individually.
post #3 of 41 Old 02-01-2015, 04:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I've got a new chain and front sprocket waiting for the snow to go away. My '13 has only 20k KMs. I only put 1/2 those miles on the bike, but I suspect the previous owner may not have done enough maintenance. The stock chain has developed a couple of kinks, and the front sprocket looks a wee bit warn, so I'll swap it out when I do the chain. The rear looks brand new; no signs of wear.

Picked up a DID XRing chain, JT sprocket and a couple of clip-links from Amazon. Shipped they were less than my local dealership.

post #4 of 41 Old 02-01-2015, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Most people will find their chain and sprocket last somewhere between 20,000 and 30,000 miles if they follow the manufacturer recommendation.

On the other hand if you never waste your time and efforts cleaning the chain and instead only lube with every tank of gas and after every ride in the rain (I use Wurth HHS2000) you can expect your chain and rear sprocket to last somewhere between 41,000 and 50,000 miles. Front sprockets seem to be done between 35,000 and 40,000 miles.

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 200,000+ km, 125,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #5 of 41 Old 02-01-2015, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Wow, huge spread. I'm a Teflon chain lube guy and I do the second tank of gas vs the one tank that Tom does. I always lube after a dirt road or rain run.
Please keep the info coming guys and "thanks" to you folks that already posted!
What do you guys use for replacements? OEM or aftermarket? What price on parts are good prices. Its been quite a long time that I've run a chain final drive. I've been on shaft and belt final drives for a couple decades. ................Mike
post #6 of 41 Old 02-01-2015, 11:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

US$180 or so is ball park for top quality chain & sprockets. DID, EK, RK, JT, Renthal, Regina are all very good. Lower tier but good value are the chains from the big wholesalers...Parts Unlimited, Bike Master, WPS. Pretty sketchy are the o-ring no-name chains off eBay.

If your chain has some stiff links, or lets you pull the chain away from the rear sprocket at the 3:00 position, or has red rust dust coming out of the rollers, it's time for a new one. Generally it's wise to renew the sprockets at the same time; worn sprockets wear a chain faster.

The DuPont yellow label chain lube is OK. The blue label stuff was weakened a couple of years ago and is no longer recommended for chains.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #7 of 41 Old 02-02-2015, 01:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

I had a kinked link at 24,000 miles. The sprockets were OK, but I replaced them along with the new EK chain I purchased from Blair at SV Racing. I was intrigued by the screw type master link offered with the EK chains. 10,000 miles on the new chain. Master link looks good.
post #8 of 41 Old 02-02-2015, 01:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

60,000k's. New front sprocket (only) @ ~35,000.

The old chain and sprockets would have gone further, but I blinked first. The only sign of problems when the chain was off was that it was uniformly stiff. You could lay it on the ground, lift it in the centre and the bend would stay there.

The new chain was like a wet noodle in comparison.

Pete
post #9 of 41 Old 02-02-2015, 04:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

I did 25.600 miles on the OEM chain and sprockets.
At that point I had red rust dust coming out of the rollers and the chain needed frequent adjustment - the sprockets still looked good.

I replaced it with OEM sprockets and a DID X-ring chain. This combo have now done 15.550 miles. It still looks like new and I have only had to do one small adjustment to keep the chain slack within spec.
Based on previous experience with DID chains I expect it to last at least 35.000 miles.

I always replace chain and sprockets at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTRider View Post
If your chain has some stiff links, or lets you pull the chain away from the rear sprocket at the 3:00 position, or has red rust dust coming out of the rollers, it's time for a new one. Generally it's wise to renew the sprockets at the same time; worn sprockets wear a chain faster.
I second that.
Stiff links result in tight spots when controlling the chain slack.
Excessive wear on the sprockets is another indicator that it's time for replacement.

Yamaha XT1200Z '15 - www.bike-addict.dk - It's not what you ride but how you ride it unk:
post #10 of 41 Old 02-02-2015, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Great info guys! Appreciate all the tips and prices. I'm using the Yellow label DuPont chain lube so I guess I'm good-to-go there..........Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode