Getting a new 2014 Wee Strom 650 next week - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 02-01-2015, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Getting a new 2014 Wee Strom 650 next week

Excited to be getting a new 650 this week.
I am getting OEM engine guards but not much else. I plan on adding the steel skid plate from endourguard after I do the first few oil changes (before I go off road obv!).
Any other required additions?
Was planning on adding an after market center stand - or should I let the dealer add an OEM one?
I also need a waterproof case and mount for my Samsung S4 - any hints along those lines would be great.

Thanks in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-01-2015, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Also - is it worth it to switch to synthetic oil?

Dealer says the Suziki 10w40 is fine.
post #3 of 32 Old 02-01-2015, 08:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

I changed to synthetic (Rotella T6) at the first oil change and never looked back. There's the big oil thread you can look into, although it's very long.
Congrats on your purchase.

2012 650 Expedition-well farkled

post #4 of 32 Old 02-01-2015, 08:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
My engine guards saved me right off the bat. Best investment by far. I haven't dropped a bike in 25 years but trust me you probably will. Oil is a touchy subject here. Better to use the google search function. That is pretty much a bulletproof motor. I would just use Suzuki oil or equivalent myself. You are going to love this bike. I have owned several since I have owned my first Vstrom and have sold them. I wouldn't trade my V for all of the other ones I have owned if I could only have one.

2013 DL650
post #5 of 32 Old 02-01-2015, 08:50 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Centerstand is key - makes it easy to lube chain very regularly which makes it feel brand new all the time and last a long time. If you are planning long distance or just day rides - that will influence what you want to do. I am a big safety fan so I would mount front lights on the lower fork and a back-off modulator for the brake light - both help you be seen better. Check out Eastern Beaver for ready made wiring for our Strom electrical mods. Saddle, handlebar and windshield are key for riding comfort long distance....sometimes even short distance!

Your dealer is right about the oil if you change it at the right mileage intervals. Synthetic is better for long mileage intervals - there is a giant oil sticky with tons of opinions on that one! Use the google search box top center to find tons of information on anything Strom. Good Luck!
post #6 of 32 Old 02-01-2015, 09:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have to admit adding Grip covers and hand guards were the single most noticed and enjoyed farkle for my 2014 Wee. I quickly added a Ram Mount GPS to mine, I have one on all my bikes. As to oil, I have read just parts of the Big Oil Thread, so much information I found it a bit overwhelming but useful. https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...il-thread.html

2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
2008 H/D Electra Glide Frankenstein Trike
1998 H/D Fat Boy
2005 Buell
2012 Mini-Mate M/C
post #7 of 32 Old 02-01-2015, 09:53 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

price on 2014

Did you get a good price on the 2014? I am in suburban Chicago and was quoted an out the door price of approximately 8482.00. There is 500 dollars off from Suzuki and a discount from the dealer and then all the stuff that gets added back on. The tax,document fee, delivery fee,and registration fee.They wave the set-up fee.
post #8 of 32 Old 02-01-2015, 10:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

2014 WEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2wheeler View Post
Did you get a good price on the 2014? I am in suburban Chicago and was quoted an out the door price of approximately 8482.00. There is 500 dollars off from Suzuki and a discount from the dealer and then all the stuff that gets added back on. The tax,document fee, delivery fee,and registration fee.They wave the set-up fee.
The two best deals I found was $7200 for a 2013 and $7400 for a 2014 OTD. I took the 2014. For ADV models I for a 2014 Wee for $8800 OTD, It is still in there, I saw it this week. To be honest the AVD model would have been a little cheaper after I upgrade mine, like a few bucks but I have enjoyed adding my own stuff.

2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
2008 H/D Electra Glide Frankenstein Trike
1998 H/D Fat Boy
2005 Buell
2012 Mini-Mate M/C
post #9 of 32 Old 02-01-2015, 10:34 AM
BRT
Stromthusiast!

I'm new here (just got a new 2013 this past September), so take this with a grain of salt;

Excited to be getting a new 650 this week.
Congrats and enjoy!

I am getting OEM engine guards but not much else. I plan on adding the steel skid plate from endourguard after I do the first few oil changes (before I go off road obv!).
Any other required additions?
Was planning on adding an after market center stand - or should I let the dealer add an OEM one?
My Suzuki dealer threw in the OEM stand with the deal. Looks good and, from what I've read, is a decent stand.

Prior to the purchase, I had asked the parts manager about the OEM engine guard; he strongly recommended GIVI (the other brand he carried), as they had a number of customer complaints about vibration issues with OEM guards - I'm not sure whether or not they've updated the guards since then.

For whatever little it's worth, my temptation would be to try to have the dealer switch the OEM engine guards for their OEM centre stand...

Having compared after market guards, I ended up getting the SW Motech guards (for only a few bucks more than the GIVI). There are better on the market but, for me, this was a good compromise.

Lastly, make sure whatever extras you choose now, will adapt to anything else you're intending on putting on your bike in the future.

Best of luck and enjoy your bike!
post #10 of 32 Old 02-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Woot!!! Congrats on your purchase and best of luck.

What I ride now:
2013 Honda GoldWing (The Lady)
2014 V-strom 650 (The Mistress)
Previously: 07 Ultra Classic, 95 Softail, 80 gs450l
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode