Air Hawk - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 01-24-2015, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Air Hawk

Anybody using an Air Hawk with the stock seat and how much does it increase the height? I've never used one.

I need a little more leg room but don't want to lower the pegs or spring for a custom seat yet.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-24-2015, 10:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

One doesn't fill the Airhawk like an air mattress. The seat pad works best with a small amount of air so it contours to your tookus. It will increase in volume as you go up in altitude, as in riding over a mountain and it will be a harder feel.
I bought a seat topper from Rocky Mayer to get more knee room for another bike. The Wee is OK and I use the air Hawk for long distance comfort. My BMW is a knee cramper.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-24-2015, 12:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have purchased the AirHawk 18" x 12" originally for my BMW RT, but have been using it now on both RT and DL650. I like it actually more on the DL650, it is comfortable and it expands the pain free but time by at least 50%.
You inflate it just enough that your but doesn't touch the seat, so I would say it increases the seat height by no more than 1/2 inch. Combined with the foot pegs lowering kit, it definitely helps my 68 years old knees.

2016 Honda Africa Twin

post #4 of 19 Old 01-25-2015, 08:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

"definitely helps my 68 years old knees."

Et tu Brutus?
post #5 of 19 Old 01-25-2015, 04:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

I used one with my 2012 dl650 stock seat for a 5000 mile trip I took 2 springs ago. Could not have done it in the 10 days without it. With the amount of air I had in mine it raised me up about an inch. I have the Airhawk 2, which is the cheaper one. It was definitely worth the coin in my opinion.

Garage......
Oh Yea: '17 Aprilia Tuono Factory
'14 DL1000
'02 Daytona 955ce
'87 ZL1000
'85 &'86 ZL900's
post #6 of 19 Old 01-25-2015, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Seems the consensus is people either love them or hate them.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #7 of 19 Old 01-26-2015, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Good advice so far.

Now a follow up question..... Which model/size Air Hawk works best with the stock seat?

Thanks again.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-26-2015, 11:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

I bought the Airhawk R Seat Pad AHR for my SV650. I transferred it to my strom and it fits the seat pretty well. I have got the russel day long seat and have found that I no longer need the airhawk to be comfortable. It is now for passenger duty. With it properly inflated, it was about ¼” raise. Very small, you are not supposed to fill them with much air. Looks can be deceiving as when you sit down, it squishes.

On the SV it was amazing. After trying 2 aftermarket seats and still not getting where I needed to be (I used the sv for touring as well), the airhawk on top of a specer seat worked pretty well. It did prevent easily sliding around on the seat, and thus not ideal for aggressive riding.

Also have an Alaskan sheepskin that I put over the airhawk for the long trips. Now that is a combination.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-26-2015, 11:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

I borrowed my friend's airhawk and hated the feel of it. It felt like wearing a diaper. Luv it or hate it, it's an expensive gamble. Probably better off with a new seat.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-26-2015, 11:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

I think mine is the medium cruiser. It's the 2nd generation. I had a 1st generation but it was over inflated and I sat down too hard and blew popped the seam open.
It was several years old. The one I have now I need to think about getting a new cover. It's getting very worn.
They can feel squirmy when charging through the twisties. But probably no more so that constanly changing positions if you are a hang off kinda rider, which I ain't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode