2012 with luggage and slip on exhaust - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-21-2015, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2012 with luggage and slip on exhaust

I have a 2012 650 with Suzuki side panniers , I just purchased an Akropovic exhaust , the back end of exhaust is in severe contact with luggage rack , any advice on mounting with out butchering either rack or muffler ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-21-2015, 03:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

Some pictures might help understand what part of the rack is hitting what part of the exhaust.

Do the factory pannier racks mount to the passenger foot peg bracket? That is how the Givi rack attaches down low. My bike had tipped over and bent the peg bracket in making it difficult to fit that side of the rack because it was smashed against the stock exhaust heat shield. I bent the bracket back as much as I felt comfortable so as not to damage the subframe to which the bracket mounts.

I would first start with loosening all the bolts holding your rack on and see if you can shift it over any.

Second, you might try adding a couple washers behind each mounting point of the foot peg bracket as it helped me push that lower rack mount away from the exhaust. Be sure not to put too many washers to prevent the mounting bolts from having enough threads to bite into.

Last, you might try moving the lower rack mount from behind the foot peg bracket to in front if it isn't already that way.

I would be careful making any adjustments to the exhaust system, but loosening some clamps and gently pushing in while retightening those clamps might help you gain a tiny bit of clearance. You don't want to put any odd stress on exhaust connections and cause a leak, so I caution you on doing that.

That being said, the exhaust system on the 2012+ bikes is a bit disappointing in how they follow the form of the bike. I feel like they stick out more than the -2011 models, particularly in the forward part of the muffler.

2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
2013 Honda CB1100
2015 Honda Grom
post #3 of 5 Old 01-22-2015, 04:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

You are not the first one with that problem (scroll down):
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2...-2012-a-5.html

Yamaha XT1200Z '15 - www.bike-addict.dk - It's not what you ride but how you ride it unk:

post #4 of 5 Old 01-22-2015, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

thanks

thanks for info that is what I will try out
post #5 of 5 Old 02-05-2015, 02:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

HMmm how much was that akropovic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode