Installed Handlebar Risers - Stressed out!! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 01-17-2015, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Question Installed Handlebar Risers - Stressed out!!

Hi All,

This is my very first post so please be nice. I have had my 2013 DL650 about a week and felt the need to install handlebar risers, nothing too fancy, just to see if they helped with comfort.

I went with a set of SPP variable risers, they basically come with plates you can choose to use to make the height customisable. See attached pic.

I installed the risers, leaving out only the single thickest plate, so I reckon they raise the bars about 40mm ish?

My question is this.....I am a little stressed about all the cables and how I know if I have any issues. The brake line is taut but doesn't seem to cause any obvious problems. The others seem fine. What do I check for? How do I know if I have a cable length issue? I have gone for a spin and tested the bars at full lock but I don't really know what I am looking for.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Simon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Adj%20Bar%20Rise%2022_LRG.jpg (56.6 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by p38arover; 01-17-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-17-2015, 08:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Hi,
Wasn't too bad of a first post. 40mm is 1.6 inches for a lot of us so you might get better responses if you use metric and SAE.

I have 2" (50mm) risers that pivot back 25mm and up 25mm (1" up, 1" back) and if feel it's the max I can be comfortable with. I've had the risers on for a couple of thousand miles with no issues.

You will have to fuss with the clips that secure the cables to allow slack to move around to where you need it. See if you can find a place where nothing is getting stretched or bound. A big clue is if you rotate the handle bar lock to lock with the engine at idle and it changes rpm.

However, when in doubt, re-route. Or go with longer cables. IMO, getting the ergonomics right is just as important as getting the suspension right. Speaking of suspension, make sure your travel isn't being limited by the brake hose.

Hope you figure it out. Advise is cheap but here's my best..... If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.
Ciao'
Rides2Work likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-17-2015, 09:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

I put 2 inch risers on my 2014 strom and left the cables stock length. They are pulled tight some places, but I just had to take some of the cables out of the clip and has been working fine for 10,000 miles. I do plan on putting new cables on but its not needed now

post #4 of 14 Old 01-17-2015, 09:10 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I went with 30mm risers. I don't think I would be too comfortable with how tight the brake hoses would be with any more than 30. Unless you came up with a different routing?

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #5 of 14 Old 01-17-2015, 09:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

Inch up, inch back with stock cables. No problems for 16,000 smiles! :-)
Ride safe, all.
g

gary

'14 VStrom 1000
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. - quote attributed to Helen Keller.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-17-2015, 03:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

My 2" pixoting Rox Risers have been to Canada twice and off-road many times. The cables have never presented an issue.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-17-2015, 06:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Have a read through this thread https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2...ox-risers.html It has a bit of info on re-routing the cables which may be of some help.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-17-2015, 06:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

adjust

do adjust both throttle cables to remove slack if you will use bar risers.

Current Bike: 2007 ABS Wee, rebuilt forks with Cogent DDC, Elka rear shock, tapered roller steering stem bearings, fork brace, Admore top box lights, LED side-only turn indicator lights, Powerlet outlet, frame sliders, Givi windscreen, Givi top box.

Prior Bikes: 2003 EX250, 2007 DL650 (non-ABS)
post #9 of 14 Old 01-17-2015, 06:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hi Russelles and welcome to the forum.
If you can go from lock to lock without binding it should be ok, but if you're unsure get someone else to check.
Say hi on the Aussie page as well, we'd all like to get to know ya . Besides there's a few 'troopers up that way and not every one reads the main page.
Cheers
McRooster likes this.

07 wee with the lot (nearly)

the most important part of any trip is getting home safensound

"travel by gravel and double your map" (in memory of a great Stromtrooper. Saturn5 R.I.P.)
post #10 of 14 Old 01-17-2015, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks for all the advice guys! I really appreciate it.

I might try to get a couple of pics and stick a short video on YouTube of going from lock to lock. When everyone says binding do you mean tightening or pinching or something like that?

Will check in with the Aussie guys too, cheers for the heads up v-chips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cables , dl650 abs , handlebars , riser

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode