Who upgraded from an 04-11 to 12+ - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-16-2015, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Who upgraded from an 04-11 to 12+

Curious for those of you who upgraded from an 04-11 to the 12+ if you felt it was worthwhile?

I really enjoy my 05 650, but I also would really like to get a bike with ABS brakes and wouldn't mind a bit more power.

I was originally thinking of a 1000 but it's a bit out of my budget.

I know i'd like the 650 but I guess i'm just hesitant to drop that much money on the "same" bike. Sometimes it's nice to have something different lol.

Questions
1. I have the Givi Monkey saddlebags, would these work on the new bike?

2. I just got in the mail today a new shock sprung for my weight from Daughtry Motorsports. It was about 400 bucks by the time I got it... would this work on a new 650?

3. Can anyone confirm the seats are different? I have a russel day long seat and i'm pretty sure that it wont work on the new bike.

I have a bunch of other farkles from richland rick, bigger windhshield, heated grips, mirror extenders, etc and I am pretty sure none of them will transfer over.

Part of this is just thinking out loud, but I'd like to get everyone's thoughts

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-16-2015, 07:38 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenny80 View Post
Curious for those of you who upgraded from an 04-11 to the 12+ if you felt it was worthwhile?

I really enjoy my 05 650, but I also would really like to get a bike with ABS brakes and wouldn't mind a bit more power.

I know i'd like the 650 but I guess i'm just hesitant to drop that much money on the "same" bike. Sometimes it's nice to have something different lol.

Questions

2. I just got in the mail today a new shock sprung for my weight from Daughtry Motorsports. It was about 400 bucks by the time I got it... would this work on a new 650?

3. Can anyone confirm the seats are different? I have a russel day long seat and i'm pretty sure that it wont work on the new bike.

I have a bunch of other farkles from richland rick, bigger windhshield, heated grips, mirror extenders, etc and I am pretty sure none of them will transfer over.

I have both a 2007 non-ABS and a 2013.

1. The Givi cases will work but you will need new racks.
2. I don't know on the shock, somebody else can chime in on this one
3. Your RDL seat will not transfer

Other farkles: The windshield may transfer, but only if you put on a MadStad bracket. It will not fit the stock windshield mounts. Heated grips would probably transfer, but not worth the effort--Buy new. Mirror extenders will transfer.

I generally like my 2007 better than my 2013 because I had it set up perfectly for me. After trying lots of things to get the ergos the same, I'm close, but if I'm honest with myself, I'm still more comfortable on my 2007.

If your primary reason is to get ABS, I would suggest just finding a used pre-2012 ABS. That way you can transfer everything and not have to come up with more money for new farkles.

If you want the 2012+ style, be prepared to spend quite a bit more to get it set up the way you want it.

:arrow: Follow the V-Strom Cache Adventure | See Where the Cache has Been | Play the Stromtrooper Picture Game | Play the Weekly Picture Game

Preferred V-Strom Model Nicknames: 02-12 DL1000 Vee, 2014+ DL1000 ABS Vee2, 04-11 DL650 Wee, 12-16 DL650 Wee2, 17+ DL650 Wee3
V-Stroms I've owned: Wee.07, Wee.11, Wee2.13. Currently Wee-less
post #3 of 18 Old 01-16-2015, 08:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenny80 View Post

Questions

1) Don't know.
2) Yes, slightly different length, but it'll work just fine. I swapped my aftermarket rear shock over day 1
3) Seats are different. Not even close.
4) Most farkles do fit. I have a Givi screen from a K8 on my L2, cost me about $20 and an evening to make up a bracket so it'd fit. (Magic, seems to be even better than the official screen ).

The L2 is quite a step up in performance from the K6 when everything is taken into account. My K6 I could occasionally take on sports bikes but it needed surprise and very bad roads, the L2, just needs a shortage of long straights.

Pete

post #4 of 18 Old 01-16-2015, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I may go with a 08-11 if I can find a good deal on one but i'm not finding much at the moment. More will be available come spring but the used bike prices in Ontario are just insane. For example...

Right now there is a 2011 with 38k on it for $6300. has givi luggage and a center stand.

A brand new 2014 is going for 6999... Not much more and with the suzuki deal right now you get a 3 year warranty and it has 0km. The clear out deals on right now are making the new bikes look very good.

For $700 it would normally be a no brainer.. but i've probably got another 2500 in replacing farkles. though I can also part them out to offset that.

Very confused on what I want to do for a bike LOL.

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
post #5 of 18 Old 01-16-2015, 08:21 PM
$tromtrooper

Yes outfitting the upgraded DL to suit you is a negative. For me it wasn't a deal breaker though. While I don't have a lot of money I don't have a lot to spend it on.

14 tooth for me
post #6 of 18 Old 01-16-2015, 10:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

I went from a 96ST1100 ABS/TCS to the 12DL650. I was looking at a Versy but the ABS and 0% percent financing made my decision. I wanted a lighter bike that I could pick up when I dropped it. The ST was set up to fit me perfect but it was time to move on to something new.

Now the Versy has ABS and hard bags, A 1000 Versy, Yamaha FJ-09, and the new Triumph Tigers. There a quite a few new models out there in the last two years. This might be time to reexamine your needs and what gives you a woody when your riding.

I dont think you going to notice that much power difference between your 650 and the new 12+650. Seems like the biggest gripe people have that like to gripe.

Sounds like you have a nice bike so you should be in no hurry to make a decision.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-16-2015, 11:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

I had a 2005 DL650 and got hit in August 2013 ... bike totaled. Got a 2014 DL650 the following May. Luggage transfers over to newer model but side racks and rear rack do not. Windshield and seat are different as has been mentioned. My advice ... if you have your 2005 setup ergonomically for you and have the add-on accessories you like, stick with it. I love my 2014 ... it's NEW, it's a little prettier, the range is a little better (maybe +20 miles/tank on average) ... but really it's about the same bike. I don't think the benefits are worth the price of the upgrade and I wouldn't have done it if my 2005 hadn't been wrecked.

Then again, it's only money and you only live once. If a 2014/2015 inspires you to get out on 2 wheels more often and live your life, go for it.

Chris
2014 DL650 - Red
Former bikes ...
2005 DL650 - Red ... totaled Aug-2013
2007 Yamaha V-Star Silverado 650 - Black & Blue ... sold
1984 Honda Magna V45 (700 cc) - Black ... sold
2001 Honda Elite 50SR (hopped up to 72cc ... woo hoo!!!) - Red ... sold
post #8 of 18 Old 01-17-2015, 12:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Tnkrplt
I got a great deal on my 13 Wee so I sold my 08. Mine came pretty well farkled so all I've upgraded is seat and windshield. I have no regrets and from what I've read and heard very few do.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

13 Wee
09 Yamaha WR250R (Sold)
08 Stealth Wee (Sold)
04 Savage (Sold)
post #9 of 18 Old 01-17-2015, 06:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

I had a 2006 for 6 years then traded it in for a 2012 Adventure. Best decision I have made regarding bikes; many little niceties really add up and much more comfortable for me. Not nearly as ugly either, but that is personal preference.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-17-2015, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

People have answered your questoions re transferring stuff so I won't talk about that.

I have both a 2006 and a 2012.

The improvements on the 12 are, to me, well worth it or I would still be riding the 06 which I loved (and still have.)

The engine has a broader power band. The handling is better out of the box. I don't know why it should be but springs and shocks feel so much better I never felt the need to change them (as I did on my 06.) I like trip computer. Overall the 2012+ feels much more refined.

None of the changes are earth shattering but all are nice.

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 200,000+ km, 125,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode