Mod rear suspension when lowering? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-09-2015, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Junior Trooper

Mod rear suspension when lowering?

I have lowered my 2012 650 by 3/4" front and back. Is still maybe a 'tad' too tall. My heels do not quite reach the ground. I am a novice rider and would be more comfortable with another 1/2" - at least whilst learning.

Question: if I lower the back an additional 1/2" (I don't believe the front can be lowered any more), do I need to modify / restrict the travel of my rear suspension? I saw a post from a few years back where Grey Wolf had mentioned this and posted a picture of a worn-through fender? What about when I add a passenger?

Thanks mucho!

Papa-Coco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-09-2015, 07:21 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
You can lower the rear as much as 1-1/8" on a Wee with no fender danger. In fact I hadn't thought about it before but the longer shock on the Glee may allow even a but more.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #3 of 7 Old 01-09-2015, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Junior Trooper

Super! Thanks for the quick reply.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-10-2015, 02:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Or, cut down the seat. Remove the cover, carve out the foam, replace the cover.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-10-2015, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Junior Trooper

Thanks. I just ordered new lowering links, so I guess I won't try my hand as an upholsterer :-). Have you done this? If so, you must be happy with the result.

Ron (papa-coco)
post #6 of 7 Old 01-11-2015, 12:23 AM
Stromthusiast!

My experience

My first bike, and only bike, is a 2013 DL650A. At first I thought the bike was too high, top heavy but now after a full year of riding, all seasons, and without doing anything to the bike it all seems fine. I'm still discovering this bike's capabilities as I gain experience.

Here's what I'd want for the bike...I wish Suzuki would provide a quality upgrade option at time of purchase for both suspension and brakes. I'll upgrade my suspension when the current factory supplied wear down enough to justify replacement.

Regards
post #7 of 7 Old 01-11-2015, 07:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

I took the lugs of my set, then boght the lower seat and took the lugs of them , then put on the lowering links ,
Has i've got used to it i' don't know if the suspension has dropped or i'm just more used to it , . But i put the lugs back in the lower seat . did'nt make a differenc ,

I got sick of the lower seat too hard , so put the normal seat back on and its still good but more comfortable , now i put the lugs back in that seat and its still good .

Put the lowering links on ride it and give it time i think you will be fine , if not don't stuff up your seat just buy a lower seat you can always sell it later , .

If the lower seat and lowering links still leave it to uncomfortable and hard to handle ,, change bikes .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
lowered , lowering , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode