How will I know? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-03-2015, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

How will I know?

My problem is, I don't know if I have a problem; let me explain. I've been reading many riders complaining about turburlance and wind noise and buffeting. I have a 2014 DL650 Adventure, I've taken her up to 70 MPH, I have the side wind deflectors and recently (last night) added VPS barkbusters and adventure windshield. Yes, I hear some noise, but none of the head bobbing, deaf making loud noises that some users complain about. Since I only had a KLR for a short time to compare against (forgive me), How do I know if I have a problem? How quiet is it supposed to be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-03-2015, 11:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

It's going to be noisy no matter what (I ride with ear plugs). Most of the issues have to do with buffeting/head bobbing. If you're not getting any of that I'd say you're fine. It's mostly a personal tolerance thing.

2014 DL650A Red
2011 Versys Red (traded)

"I don't want to make a life here."
"Life happens wherever you are. Whether you make it or not"
post #3 of 6 Old 01-03-2015, 11:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

if you don't know you have a problem, you don't have a problem. the early models 2002-2003 versions had very bad buffeting and there really wasn't a cure for it. a few people complain about the newer models but most don't. I have an 03 and it was terrible and no windshield helped much. when madstad made brackets for the early ones it was a godsend. my wife had a 07 and it does not have bad buffeting at all.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-03-2015, 11:52 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstubbsjr View Post
My problem is, I don't know if I have a problem; let me explain. I've been reading many riders complaining about turburlance and wind noise and buffeting. I have a 2014 DL650 Adventure, I've taken her up to 70 MPH, I have the side wind deflectors and recently (last night) added VPS barkbusters and adventure windshield. Yes, I hear some noise, but none of the head bobbing, deaf making loud noises that some users complain about. Since I only had a KLR for a short time to compare against (forgive me), How do I know if I have a problem? How quiet is it supposed to be?
If you are mostly enjoying the ride then you are fine. It's not noise as many wear ear plugs anyway but the head banging that you mentioned. It doesn't seem to affect all. if it does then many experiment with bigger or smaller windshields and/or switching deities.

14 tooth for me
post #5 of 6 Old 01-04-2015, 12:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icnxpln View Post
if you don't know you have a problem, you don't have a problem.
+1
My wife would say, "don't borrow trouble," whatever that's supposed to mean.

On my 2005 Vee, I would get double vision and a pounding headache from the air rabbit-punching my head.

Buffeting is a pressure pulse - it's not "noise", it's "hammering."
post #6 of 6 Old 01-04-2015, 12:52 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Topic belongs in the sticky thread on buffeting.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode