PC8 ISSUE - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-26-2014, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

PC8 ISSUE

I have fitted an Eastern Beaver headlight HP4 circuit to my DL650 and connected it via a PC8 fuse block switched circuit with a 20A fuse.

Today I noticed the positive wire has been overheating, ( the insulation is melting on the wire and the PC8 terminal plastic has melted ) but the 20A fuse is intact.

OK brains trust what is going on here? Should I have connected the headlight circuit direct to the battery?

I just checked the instructions on EB's site; I should have checked this before. It seems that I should have connected to the battery terminals . Is it me or is the EB website a little confusing at times; written by a guy who knows his stuff, but knowledge base far in advance of his clients ( well me in particular)

It looks as if I have a self -made PC7 fuse block.

DL650 2103

Farkles:
PC8 fuse box, EB headlight mod, Givi engine bars , Enduro Guardian radiator guard, B&B sump guard, MotoBrizz chain oiler, ATV high bars , (heated grips, EB ABS off switch, USB and cigarette plug mounted on Adventure Tech dashboard), Mitas E07 tyres, Bark Busters and Storm guards, Galfer braided SS brake line 2 inch extension, Cogent DDC fork emulators and .85 Kg straight wound springs.

Last edited by xrman; 12-27-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-27-2014, 08:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

If your PC-8 is connected directly to the battery, as it should be, then there should be no problem having the Eastern Beaver Headlight relay connected to one of the switched terminals on the PC-8. That is how mine is connected.

That's the whole point of the PC-8, to allow for multiple power connections without having to run everything directly to your battery.

If all of that is hooked up properly, then I would suspect a loose connection somewhere. either at the fuse box or somewhere inline.

'12 DL650A VStrom
post #3 of 9 Old 12-27-2014, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for replying

I just came back from my shed and checked out my HP4 wiring system and there was no inline fuse in the positive line wire, so I assume my HP4 set up was made to fit via the PC8 as you have done.

As the arcing was happening at the PC8 terminal is it logical to assume that the terminal screw was loose?

Next question; what size fuse do you have for the HP4 circuit?

DL650 2103

Farkles:
PC8 fuse box, EB headlight mod, Givi engine bars , Enduro Guardian radiator guard, B&B sump guard, MotoBrizz chain oiler, ATV high bars , (heated grips, EB ABS off switch, USB and cigarette plug mounted on Adventure Tech dashboard), Mitas E07 tyres, Bark Busters and Storm guards, Galfer braided SS brake line 2 inch extension, Cogent DDC fork emulators and .85 Kg straight wound springs.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-30-2014, 07:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have a 20 amp fuse on the circuit the headlight relay is hooked up to.

A loose terminal screw could certainly cause the arcing and melting your describing. That's how the control panel on my hot tub burned up.

'12 DL650A VStrom
post #5 of 9 Old 12-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

I too have my H4 connected directly to my PC8, but for some reason I want to say it's on the non-switched side. Because of the way the H4 works, it wasn't necessary to waste a switched port on the PC8. It shouldn't matter either way though. This has been my setup for over a year now.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-30-2014, 09:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zildjian View Post
I too have my H4 connected directly to my PC8, but for some reason I want to say it's on the non-switched side. Because of the way the H4 works, it wasn't necessary to waste a switched port on the PC8. It shouldn't matter either way though. This has been my setup for over a year now.
Yes, it would work on either a switched or non-switched circuit as the relay, which ultimately controls the lights, is powered by a switched circuit.

I recently re-learned that as I installed some LED lights and realized I only had one circuit open on my PC 8! It is an always hot circuit and then I realized the relay would still be switched so it would be OK.

I think I have problem when I've maxed out a PC8....

'12 DL650A VStrom
post #7 of 9 Old 01-01-2015, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I am confused

I would have thought that if you were connected via a non- switched circuit your lights would always be on. Then again, can the lights on your model be switched off by a handlebar switch?

Our bikes have to comply with Australian Design Rules, which means we cannot turn off the headlights once the bike is running.

DL650 2103

Farkles:
post #8 of 9 Old 01-01-2015, 09:43 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Connecting to the unswitched side works because the relays are off when the ignition is off. The stock wiring controls the relays. The wires that take power to the relays will be live but the relays won't send power to the lights.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #9 of 9 Old 01-01-2015, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Crystal clear

That makes sense Grey Wolf.

DL650 2103

Farkles:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode