Suggestions for mounting Gerbings controller - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 12-22-2014, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Suggestions for mounting Gerbings controller

I have the dual controller and am seeking suggestions on mounting locations. Currently, I have it in my tank bag but that is not ideal. If you have this controller on a 2012 Vstrom, please share your set-up.

Here is the controller - link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-22-2014, 08:38 AM
$tromtrooper

There is a strap on the side of my tank bag and I hang it there, I can get at it with my left hand easily and I can see it.
post #3 of 19 Old 12-22-2014, 08:41 AM
$tromtrooper

I have the power cable coming out the left rear of the bike seat. I clip the dual controller to my left jacket pocket so i can easily reach the controller with my left hand. I like this setup as it lets me unplug from the bike and keep everything wired up. On my Stich it attaches conveniently on the big left chest pocket.

Current: '12 Dl650, '06 ST1300, '89 Transalp, '84 XL350R, '07 TRX350TM,

post #4 of 19 Old 12-22-2014, 08:48 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
I have a Warm and Safe dual controller but it is nearly the same. I put on a 1/16" thick 1-1/2" wide piece of aluminum angle stock pinned by the left mirror mount. The controller is mounted on top and the cruise control pad on the front. The controller I have allows bolting the removable cover to the angle but 3M Duo Lock will work fine. The excess stock to the right of the CC pad was removed with only the top extending further to hold the controller. The two suit connectors are under the seat and I take them out between the seat and left cover when needed. I used a soldering iron to open up the top of the side plastic a bit to pass the wires. The power input comes from a fuse block. I had to lengthen all the wires. I also ran the hot power wire through a relay with a normally closed contact and powered the relay off the brake light wire. When I'm stopped, I often get too warm so I can activate the brake light to turn off the heat.

Glee Dash by Greywolf, V-Strom rider, on Flickr

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html

Last edited by greywolf; 12-22-2014 at 10:12 AM.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-22-2014, 09:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

I put a hook piece of Velcro on the bottom of the dual controller and the loop pieces on the tank bag and the gas tank so I could have the controller with or with out the bag on the bike. And I can move it quickly from the BMW to the Wee.
Very inelegant but it's simple and works fine.
I positioned the loop pads just to the left front of the gas cap. I get an easy visual that way and it's accessible for adjustment.
post #6 of 19 Old 12-22-2014, 11:56 AM
Stromthusiast!

I guess my duct-taped mount won't garner any "Eurekas!" from this crowd.
post #7 of 19 Old 12-22-2014, 01:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaAus View Post
I guess my duct-taped mount won't garner any "Eurekas!" from this crowd.
I appreciate cheap, easy, and ruthlessly efficient.

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You canít grasp its vastness from a plane. Itís diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt." - Zach Bowman

My SmugMug galleries (copy & paste)---> https://meefzah.smugmug.com/
post #8 of 19 Old 12-22-2014, 01:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I appreciate cheap, easy, and ruthlessly efficient.
Not to mention, "Red Green-approved".
post #9 of 19 Old 12-22-2014, 01:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acme-Zoom View Post
There is a strap on the side of my tank bag and I hang it there, I can get at it with my left hand easily and I can see it.
Same here, there's a strap on the back of my Wolfman Blackhawk that I use, just put a small piece of the hook-sided velcro on the controller and it sticks nicely to the inside of the strap. No need for a permanent mount since I don't need it 8 months out of the year.
post #10 of 19 Old 12-22-2014, 03:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Tnkrplt
I velcro'd mine to the top of the break reservoir. Fits perfect and you could zip tie it if you were worried it might depart the moving vehicle.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

13 Wee
09 Yamaha WR250R (Sold)
08 Stealth Wee (Sold)
04 Savage (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode