StromTrooper banner

Suggestions for mounting Gerbings controller

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  New2Strom 
#1 ·
I have the dual controller and am seeking suggestions on mounting locations. Currently, I have it in my tank bag but that is not ideal. If you have this controller on a 2012 Vstrom, please share your set-up.

Here is the controller - link

#9 ·
Same here, there's a strap on the back of my Wolfman Blackhawk that I use, just put a small piece of the hook-sided velcro on the controller and it sticks nicely to the inside of the strap. No need for a permanent mount since I don't need it 8 months out of the year.

#3 ·
I have the power cable coming out the left rear of the bike seat. I clip the dual controller to my left jacket pocket so i can easily reach the controller with my left hand. I like this setup as it lets me unplug from the bike and keep everything wired up. On my Stich it attaches conveniently on the big left chest pocket.

#4 · (Edited)
I have a Warm and Safe dual controller but it is nearly the same. I put on a 1/16" thick 1-1/2" wide piece of aluminum angle stock pinned by the left mirror mount. The controller is mounted on top and the cruise control pad on the front. The controller I have allows bolting the removable cover to the angle but 3M Duo Lock will work fine. The excess stock to the right of the CC pad was removed with only the top extending further to hold the controller. The two suit connectors are under the seat and I take them out between the seat and left cover when needed. I used a soldering iron to open up the top of the side plastic a bit to pass the wires. The power input comes from a fuse block. I had to lengthen all the wires. I also ran the hot power wire through a relay with a normally closed contact and powered the relay off the brake light wire. When I'm stopped, I often get too warm so I can activate the brake light to turn off the heat.

Glee Dash by Greywolf, V-Strom rider, on Flickr

#5 ·
I put a hook piece of Velcro on the bottom of the dual controller and the loop pieces on the tank bag and the gas tank so I could have the controller with or with out the bag on the bike. And I can move it quickly from the BMW to the Wee.
Very inelegant but it's simple and works fine.
I positioned the loop pads just to the left front of the gas cap. I get an easy visual that way and it's accessible for adjustment.

#11 ·
Okay, that was more responses than I expected that soon. Do I sense some cabin fever?

Thanks for so many good ideas. Pat's dashboard mount is intriguing but I would have to extend all the lines as I want a disconnect near the waist. I have to think about this some more.

Thanks again and happy holidays!

#14 ·
Okay, that was more responses than I expected that soon. Do I sense some cabin fever?

Thanks for so many good ideas. Pat's dashboard mount is intriguing but I would have to extend all the lines as I want a disconnect near the waist. I have to think about this some more.

Thanks again and happy holidays!
My setup is almost identical to Greywolf's. No need to extend any lines.

Gerbing's box is mounted under the seat, connectors hang out between seat and tank, just in front of my left leg. Dual controllors are in a box mounted to aluminum angle hanging off the left mirror stalk, right above the OEM heated grips controllor. I've got the same C/C switch hanging off the mirror stalk, too.

#13 ·
Hi

Cheap and cheerful is what I fitted.

It's just velcroed to a bent piece of stainless steel thin plate.

It also looks as if it gets in the way of the ignition key, but its not a problem.

The controller has been in operation for 18 months, so it's standing the test of time, so far!

Regards
Crazyhorse

#19 ·
I wear a Gerbings 3/4 length heated jacket when I ride in col weather. The jacket has a waist belt. I use the dual controller in the Gerbings holster. The holster has a belt clip. I clip the holster to the belt and use a zip-tie safety. The controller, therefore, travels with the jacket. Always there, easy to get to. Especially handy when you have multiple bikes. Just be careful in banks and other sensitive locations where they have armed security. The puffy jacket with the controller and wires hanging out could be construed as a threat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.