Beaked and spoked 2015 DL650 variant threads merged - Page 31 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #301 of 475 Old 02-08-2015, 07:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

i'm trying to remove the mask on mine right now. not to install the beak, but to repaint. good god this is a pain and i'm afraid to break stuff!!!

2012 DL650A; daily commuter http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157633330697107/
Sold: 2003 SV650: weekend canyon carver http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157630515234266/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 475 Old 02-08-2015, 11:22 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhawg View Post
Attachment 102137
Finally got it on. I like it. This bike reminds me of one of those Japanese puzzle boxes. You must remove the colored front of the fairing to put it on -- a total joy. WD40 or soap helps with those rubber grommets.
Pretty day, I'm going riding
An old friend of mine told me to use a Q tip and put a small amount of silicone grease in the grommet. You might not have to use anything else again.
post #303 of 475 Old 02-08-2015, 02:27 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile_this_side_up View Post
i'm trying to remove the mask on mine right now. not to install the beak, but to repaint. good god this is a pain and i'm afraid to break stuff!!!

I put my beak on yesterday and wished I had waited another day to read these recent messages. I am a patient guy, and still ended up with a couple of broken bits during the process. No showstoppers though but still. It's often a fine line between knowing how things attach and then using appropriate pressure, and things just breaking.

All went back together just fine, but admit I felt a bit lost during the process, and I'm the type that usually figures things out and takes my time.

Last week jrnyer called me Zeke"Beak"ster, so now I guess Beakster is appropriate.

I'll post pics later after I clean it up a bit.

post #304 of 475 Old 02-08-2015, 09:57 PM
$tromtrooper

Beaked and spoked 2015 DL650 variant threads merged

It may not be for everyone... But I like it. Of course it cures buffeting and adds 5hp.

Last edited by zekester63; 02-08-2015 at 09:59 PM.
post #305 of 475 Old 02-08-2015, 10:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

From the side, it definitely fits with the eyes and the crop to make for the Woody look!

06 V-Strom DL650

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #306 of 475 Old 02-09-2015, 07:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

Yup, I struggled to get mine on too. Broke off a small tip on the face mask, easily super glued back on. It was 35 degrees outside while I installed it, I suggest that it should be done in a warmer temperature so that the plastic is more pliable.
I also installed the Tourtech skid plate, which went smoothly until I had to remove the side stand bolt. what a PITA!
Anyway, half way through the beak install I thought I was being foolish to tear my bike apart for a cosmetic farkle, but after finishing the job I got to admit that I think it looks real good.
It warmed up to about 50 degrees so I suited up and went for about a 50 mile ride.
It's hard to explain how wonderful it felt to sit on the VStrom and head on down the road after 5 months of inactivity.
The only thing I noticed about the beaks effect on handling is that it wards off all the bugs! Not one bug splatter :biggrinjester:

Ride safe fellow Stromtroopers
post #307 of 475 Old 02-10-2015, 11:50 PM
$tromtrooper

I believe this is new - but maybe not.

Suzuki V-STROM 650XT - Preview video

2013 V-Strom 650, 1982 Suzuki GS1100E, 1982 Kawasaki GPz1100, 1974 Honda XL350
post #308 of 475 Old 02-12-2015, 07:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just got the new parts in from Rocky Mountain ATV. Figured I just swing out to the garage and install the beak real quick. I took the (3) screws out from under the original cowling that went into the rubber grommets. I tugged on it a bit and realized that the front body panel around the headlights probably had to come off as well. I took the (2) allen screws out of the front fairing and tugged on that a bit too, only to realize that there's probably more to it than what I had previously thought. After revisiting this thread and seeing some of the PITA comments, I just put everything back together for when I have more time.

All that said, does anyone have a fairly simple step-by-step approach to taking off the front body panel around the headlights? Do I need to take apart the plastic/housing around the instrument cluster to loosen some things as well? Or should I just be able to pop that front panel off by wedging something around the edges? I saw a couple plastic tabs underneath that appear to connect that front panel to the original cowling, but I'm guessing there's more that I'm not seeing. If I do in fact need to loosen some stuff from behind, does the picture in the following thread point out the correct screws?
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2...12-glee-3.html

Any advice and/or pictures are appreciated
post #309 of 475 Old 02-13-2015, 08:49 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cufflink View Post
Just got the new parts in from Rocky Mountain ATV. Figured I just swing out to the garage and install the beak real quick. I took the (3) screws out from under the original cowling that went into the rubber grommets. I tugged on it a bit and realized that the front body panel around the headlights probably had to come off as well. I took the (2) allen screws out of the front fairing and tugged on that a bit too, only to realize that there's probably more to it than what I had previously thought. After revisiting this thread and seeing some of the PITA comments, I just put everything back together for when I have more time.

All that said, does anyone have a fairly simple step-by-step approach to taking off the front body panel around the headlights? Do I need to take apart the plastic/housing around the instrument cluster to loosen some things as well? Or should I just be able to pop that front panel off by wedging something around the edges? I saw a couple plastic tabs underneath that appear to connect that front panel to the original cowling, but I'm guessing there's more that I'm not seeing. If I do in fact need to loosen some stuff from behind, does the picture in the following thread point out the correct screws?
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2...12-glee-3.html

Any advice and/or pictures are appreciated
It was a PITA. If you look at the exploded drawing there is a square tab on the front mask that clicks into the square hole on the silver part. I took apart all kinds of extra stuff but basically there are 4 screws on the mask part that go through rubber grommets as with the 3 on the"chin" below. Make them all slippery. Then you kind of push your way around the assorted clips. I used the tip of a chain saw file because it was laying there. Yess the instrument cluster has to come off. Pick a warm day or heated space because you will be bending a lot of plastic. I have a shop manual and I found the pictures almost helpful.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2013 DL650
2003 Victory Touring Cruiser
1983 Seca 900
1980 XS 850 triple
1971 Dunstall Norton
1970 Triumph Trophy 500
1972 Honda Trail 90
post #310 of 475 Old 02-13-2015, 06:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

I think the beak looks better on the V-strom than it did on Alec Baldwin. Anyone know what movie this is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beet_00.jpg (22.6 KB, 38 views)

2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
2013 Honda CB1100
2015 Honda Grom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
heated grips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode