It's like stealing - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-26-2014, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Talking It's like stealing

I've been riding since 1973, and I've owned a bike since 1975, but I've never ridden a bike that had this kind of capability at this kind of price. Bang for the buck is way out of proportion: word gets out they'll tax it or make it illegal!

I bought a used 2012 650 this past November and spent the intervening months getting it modified to suit my tastes: CS windscreen, Seat concept seat, new chain, other odds and ends. Spring finally came to Colorado over the Memorial Day weekend (sort of, saw 33F and 75F on the same day), so it was finally time to take an overnight trip. So me and my bud decided a trip to Lake City, Colorado, over the Cottonwood Pass, and back via Creede, Co and then cross country from Salida to Hartsel (45 miles over dirt roads) then home to Colorado Springs. Leave Friday morning, return Sat afternoon.
This bike does it all! It will cruise at 85 if you want (and I did), and take the odd dirt road without complaint, one example being the 15 miles dirt road down from 12,000 ft Cottonwood Pass to Crested Butte/Gunnison, a first for me, but confidence inspiring on this bike. I am obviously new to this adventure biking stuff, and my respect for the bike grew with each passing mile.

Route 149 from Gunnison down to Lake City (one of the best kept secrets in motorcycling, but not as good as the next part of the trip, the road between Lake City to Creede, CO over Slumgullion Pass) allowed me to remove the "chicken strips" on my tires....confidence building too: it handles as well as anything I've ever ridden...embarrassed my riding mate on a 2009 R1200GS in the twisties, a couple of times.

We were coming back on day two, south of Saguache, when the thought struck me that owning this bike was like stealing: it just excels in many different areas unlike anything I've ever experienced...even got to do my first creek fording on a motorcycle in the back country south of Hartzel. Averaged 55 mpg over the two days. Not a particularly long trip--only about 250 mi out/bit more back--but it left me hungry for more on this marvelous machine. As a bonus, got to see some of the best riding I've ever experienced, and I heartily recommend rt 149 between Gunnison and South Fork, one of the best rides in Colorado.

Back to work tomorrow, but I'll be grinning all week, and waiting for the next trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-26-2014, 11:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

I was thinking the same thing on my commute to work this evening. I've never had a more competent bike for the price. Even better than my '09 Wee. It is so nimble and easy to ride. It doesn't care much for the slab, though. That's OK. My Road King is at home there. Everything else...it's the Strom all the way!
post #3 of 3 Old 05-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I had a '12 DL650A, and for some dumb reason, I sold it. Well I fixed that mistake last Saturday, and brought home a '13 Adventure model. Almost 300 miles on it now, and I was thinking the same thing on the way home from work today. I don't think there is a better bike for the money. I may just keep it for the rest of my days,,,

2013 DL650 Adventure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
creede , grinning , lake city , rt 149 , stealling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode