Saddle sore - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 05-25-2014, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Saddle sore

I have spent the last two days riding in Missouri and Arkansas with a friend on his Hayabusa. After 1000 miles in two days I am SORE! I know that I am not conditioned for this but seems like a seat remedy may be in my future. On the plus side the Wee 2 is great and has no trouble keeping pace with a Busa in the twisties, of course it can flat spank the Strom on the straights. I'm happy to be the pack mule with saddle bags as well.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2013 Vstrom 650. White, CL-855 bags. Bags connection City tankbag. Givi Airflow. Augustus Deflectors. Bar end mirrors. JC Whitney top case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-26-2014, 01:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brcol View Post
I have spent the last two days riding in Missouri and Arkansas with a friend on his Hayabusa. After 1000 miles in two days I am SORE! I know that I am not conditioned for this but seems like a seat remedy may be in my future. On the plus side the Wee 2 is great and has no trouble keeping pace with a Busa in the twisties, of course it can flat spank the Strom on the straights. I'm happy to be the pack mule with saddle bags as well.

I'm on my fourth day at 1800 miles. For me, the seat has never been a killer like some bikes. I'm starting to get used to it and I'm glad I didn't try to change it before the trip.

Hope you figure your saddle sore-ness out.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-29-2014, 01:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brcol View Post

I found some improvement with a Saddlemen Adventure Tour seat for the bike. I say some improvement as I still need to take breaks on long rides (after 1 - 2 hours riding, I start needing a break every 30 - 60 minutes). Its still an improvement from the stock seat but I am going to probably keep looking for others.

post #4 of 24 Old 05-29-2014, 07:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

airhawk...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

These are...wonderful. After you get use to the gooshey feel your butt will love you for buying one of these. I would never be without one.

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
post #5 of 24 Old 05-29-2014, 07:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

I got an Airhawk-R not too long ago, because it was coming down to a choice between that and springing for a custom made seat that might not fix the problem. The Airhawk-R was the less expensive solution.

I know some guys really hate them, but I found it pretty comfortable.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
post #6 of 24 Old 05-29-2014, 08:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete64 View Post
These are...wonderful. After you get use to the gooshey feel your butt will love you for buying one of these. I would never be without one.

can you link to this seat please?

edit: nevermind, i see its not a seat but a cushion?
post #7 of 24 Old 05-29-2014, 09:23 AM
Stromthusiast!

You may also want to check out a pair of riding under shorts like LDComfort. I bought a set from RPW just before the Eastern Gathering. I can say that they help a lot with all day riding comfort.

2012 DL1000 Adventure (Tinkerbell)
PC-V, TRE, CR8EIX , ECM, K&N, RDL, PR4, PC-8, EB H4, WERKS, Madstad 22", 17/43 gearing, AdventureTech: Fork brace, shelf, mirror extenders, SpeedoDRD, wheel spacer, Head's-Up voltage monitor, Goldwing pegs, Sonic 1.1, Wolo Bad Boy, ExTuff Helmet Hook.
post #8 of 24 Old 05-29-2014, 03:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

I just did a 4500 km trip - with the stock seat day two I was a bit sore. Instead of some fancy solution, I went to Walmart and spent $5 on a neoprene seat cushion thing that had a fastex strap. Put it over the seat, cinched the strap, and no problem. Why fix a $5 problem with a $500 seat?!

I've never seen a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist's office. And that tells me pretty much everything I ever need to know about why I ride.

My Ride: 2012 DL650A Explorer Package, Fox Orange. Mods/Farkles: Scottoiler vSystem, Rox Risers, Adventuretech Mirror Extenders and Sidestand Foot, SW-Motech Over-The-Dash GPS mount.

Plans: Denali-type lighting, orange LED cowling/engine lighting, LED highlight upgrade, and everything I need to ride the Dempster Highway in 2017.

States/Provinces Ridden: NS, NB, QC, ON, ME, NH, MA, VT, NY, PA, DE, MD, DC, VA, WV, NC, TN, KY, GA, OH, IN, IL, IA, NE, CO, UT, AZ, NE, CA, NM, TX, OK, MO.

Just finished a 12,000 km run from Toronto to Monterey and back.
post #9 of 24 Old 05-29-2014, 03:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploughjockey View Post
I just did a 4500 km trip - with the stock seat day two I was a bit sore. Instead of some fancy solution, I went to Walmart and spent $5 on a neoprene seat cushion thing that had a fastex strap. Put it over the seat, cinched the strap, and no problem. Why fix a $5 problem with a $500 seat?!

the Shwa checks in! Hey Oshawa! good day!

I got a similar thing from Canadian tire for my wife on the back, the seat has not bothered me after the first month.....but then I always was a hardass....

2009 DL1000\ Scorpion Racing Skid Plate, Racetech Springs, Acerbis Hand Guards, Givi Engine Guards
Oxford Grips,
ALL BALLS BEARINGS.....Darkside Tire
post #10 of 24 Old 05-29-2014, 04:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploughjockey View Post

As long as you stay with short trips, your cheap solutions will work for most. Most riders who do serious long distance riding know the difference between a $5 fix and a $500 seat. Check out the seats of the IBR / IBA / AREM riders. See how many of them use a $5 fix and how many use a $500 seat. Ride with me this summer and you will learn the value of using a $500 seat. However, to answer your question, for those who only do short rides, they can usually find cheap fixes that will work for them. For those who are serious LD riders, most are going to require something other than your $5 fix.

The Asphalt Rats Endurance Motorcycling
Vice President & United States Representative
IBA Mexico Officer

2009 DL650
2013 Super Tenere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode