Starter issue - maybe? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-25-2014, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Starter issue - maybe?

I went out for a ride today in the mist / rain. I stopped at about 150 miles and filled up with gas. After filling up, I turned on the key and hit the starter button and....nothing happened. The dash lit up and the fuel pump cycled, but not response from the starter button. I found no obvious loose wires. Luckily the gas station was at the top of the hill, so I coasted down the hill and popped the clutch in 1 st gear. The bike started up and I rode the 150 miles home. I shut it off in the garage and tried the starter again. It fired right up. Any one else have a similar experience? Any ideas what might have been going on? I was on wet roads before filling up, but the ride home was dry and warm. Short in the starter from the wet conditions?

Earl

If you say vroom-vroom it makes you go faster!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Not trying to be insulting but are you sure the side stand was up at the gas station?
post #3 of 11 Old 05-25-2014, 05:58 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
The clutch lever switch is the usual culprit when no CHEC or FI appear.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html

post #4 of 11 Old 05-25-2014, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovetailredux View Post
Not trying to be insulting but are you sure the side stand was up at the gas station?
Valid Question. I put it in neutral and tried with the stand up and down.

post #5 of 11 Old 05-25-2014, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
The clutch lever switch is the usual culprit when no CHEC or FI appear.
Thanks. Should I look into a prophalytic replacement or see if the problem persists?

post #6 of 11 Old 05-25-2014, 08:22 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABNDVM View Post
Thanks. Should I look into a prophalytic replacement or see if the problem persists?
First see if a wire was pulled loose. If it looks okay, short the two wires together. If that lets you start the bike, the switch is the problem. Riding the bike with the switch jumpered will cause idling problems on 2007 and later 650s so a bad switch should be replaced but I can't see replacing a good one. Try a jumper wire first to check.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #7 of 11 Old 05-25-2014, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
First see if a wire was pulled loose. If it looks okay, short the two wires together. If that lets you start the bike, the switch is the problem. Riding the bike with the switch jumpered will cause idling problems on 2007 and later 650s so a bad switch should be replaced but I can't see replacing a good one. Try a jumper wire first to check.
Thanks for the advice!

post #8 of 11 Old 05-26-2014, 12:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Have you put new handguards on? When I put my stock suzuki ones on, I missed the switch the first time and shoved it up past the clutch lever, luckily I caught it before I was done though.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-26-2014, 12:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

I had a similar problem once, it seemed the clutch switch had a dead spot, I would hold the starter button down while pulling in the clutch handle and I could find a spot where the starter caught.. oddly enough it was only a rare occurance and has not re-occurred in a long time.

2009 DL1000\ Scorpion Racing Skid Plate, Racetech Springs, Acerbis Hand Guards, Givi Engine Guards
Oxford Grips,
ALL BALLS BEARINGS.....Darkside Tire
post #10 of 11 Old 05-26-2014, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Happened again today. The connector came loose. Plugged it back in and it fired right up.

Earl

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode