Screaming Banshee (Horns) - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 05-24-2014, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Screaming Banshee (Horns)

After looking and all the louder horn internet write ups .. that I could find ... and reading the motorcycle consumer news on bigger horns.

It seems for wife and I the Screaming Banshee design and features make a few strong selling points .....

Such as

- 1/4 second your OEM beep beep horn works still
(for non urgent bike to bike signals and other not urgent honks)

- The front head lights flash when you honk the horn
(Added visual attention)

- No relay needed for new horn and old horn still works off OEM horn button

- Product Design is owned in Clearwater Florida (and yes I live in FL)

SO QUESTION TO THE GROUP

Sounds great, but what are the issues that anyone has seen or can think of ... ???

Thanks in Advance (of me spending more $$)

https://screaming-banshee.com/home

#045 Harry Dresden PI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-24-2014, 09:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Cool Prodding errant drivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dresden PI View Post
... the Screaming Banshee design and features make a few strong selling points .....

Such as

- 1/4 second your OEM beep beep horn works still
(for non urgent bike to bike signals and other not urgent honks)

- The front head lights flash when you honk the horn
(Added visual attention)

- No relay needed for new horn and old horn still works off OEM horn button

- Product Design is owned in Clearwater Florida (and yes I live in FL)

SO QUESTION TO THE GROUP

Sounds great, but what are the issues that anyone has seen or can think of ... ???

Thanks in Advance (of me spending more $$)

https://screaming-banshee.com/home
Just a couple points on that specific horn:

1. The "for friendly use" beep delay is about 1/7 Second. It is difficult to reliably create such a short press duration with a push button and no gloves. I expect it is harder with the V-Strom's horn button and gloves.

2. The control and wiring aspects are nice.

The flashing light in addition to the 130 dB(a?) sound level will certainly be impressive and alter the mental state of inattentive drivers. What I doubt is that this "will save lives" of prudent riders. Surely, if you are in a hazard situation developing slowly enough, this extra stimulus is likely to make the difference between an errant driver completing his maneuver as intended and doing something else. Let's consider what is "slowly enough". You have to move your thumb to the horn button, the 150 mS delay must elapse, the loud noise and flashing light have to register as "something demanding attention" (with time added for the light to pulse), the errant driver must then process that he has set himself on a collision course and decide to effect a different action, then actually act on that new intention.

I've had to take evasive action many times in urban traffic and have never found occasion to use the horn to timely influence the near-collision. (I sound the horn to let drivers know they erred, after I've gotten out of their way or slowed enough to avoid collision.) These near-collision events usually happen fast enough that there is not enough time for the horn actuation/registering/processing to do any good, and by the time it could have any influence, I've already done what is necessary to avoid the hazard. I'm certainly not going to hold my course and speed and hope the errant driver finally does the right thing after being prodded.

I submit that where the loud horn and flashing lights will really help is when you simply have no escape or you have plenty of time to see if the errant driver will respond favorably before you finally evade. These sorts of situations are rare relative to the ones where there is not enough time except to evade or stop. It is usually a mistake to leave yourself with no escape. If you have time to see what the errant driver will do, you have time to avoid the hazard regardless of what he does.

The vendor's video, SEE THE SCREAMING BANSHEE IN ACTION, is obviously staged and does not represent how real hazards develop or how any but the stupidest riders respond. The drivers make their ostensibly "bad" moves too slowly. They respond nearly instantly. And the rider plows on as if he either knows the drivers will correct or has a suicide wish.

Of course, we all wish drivers would notice us in time to stop taking our space, especially just after they do take it. And it's natural to wish to improve our control over those situations. But I see the loud horn as giving more the illusion of such control than any useful reality of it. I think the most effective response to such incidents is to figure out how to give yourself enough space and trajectory margin that you can avoid collisions without depending on an inattentive driver suddenly doing better.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-24-2014, 09:25 PM
$tromtrooper

This is the item I had decided to install on both of my bikes some time ago - have not done so, and I still intend to install on the scooter maybe this winter or later this summer. Keeping the friendly beep-beep for little kids was a big plus in the decision.

I so seldom use the horn that I have to actually look down and figure out which button it is when I do. In a real situation, I have found I had better concentrate on addressing it rather than just making obnoxious noises. However, a couple of "about to get backed over in a parking lot" and "WTF are you doing pulling out in front of (or over into) me" events suggested an attention-getting, after-the-fact opinion-expressing blast would be useful.

I would not, I think, mess with the headlight connection simply because as I am a bit reluctant to make any mods to that particular system.

So, I don't have any experience in the product's installation or use, but I can affirm your decision.

1985 Honda CB450SC (AUG04 - SEP09)
2004 Honda CN250 Helix (NOV09 - )
2006 Suzuki DL650 (MAR07 - APR15)
2014 BMW R1200GSW (APR14 - )
Lordsmoke, still refusing to obey the voices!

post #4 of 19 Old 05-24-2014, 10:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

The (automatic) flashing headlight seems like a good idea. But flashing lights may give the errant driver the idea that I'm giving him/her the okay to proceed.

I do like the sound of the horn. It's perfectly obnoxious... really is horrid. I love it. 8-)

https://screaming-banshee.com/banshe...audio-hornonly

`
'03 CRF230 - '09 DL650 - Orange Wee Club Member #362

Last edited by 6:45 Orange Sunrise; 05-25-2014 at 12:37 AM. Reason: changed text
post #5 of 19 Old 05-25-2014, 03:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Is it just a Wolo Bad Boy air horn with a custom control module? I agree with the big confusion about flashing headlights.

I'd rather have a pair of FIAMM Freeway Blasters, or even better, Hella Supertone pair. My Stebel Nautilus is failing--the compressor only puts out enough air to blow one of the two horn units on it.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-30-2014, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Arrow FIAMM = current Screaming Banshee

FYI

I received my Screaming Banshee Horn kit this week
and
Hope to Install them within the week,

On Horn:

FIAMM
Ultimate Blast
Made In Italy
10R-03 7325

=========

#045 Harry Dresden PI
post #7 of 19 Old 06-13-2014, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Install Information

I have now installed the Screaming Banshee horn system on two different motorcycles. 2014 Honda CTX700 and 2012 Suzuki DL650a.

First install on the DL650a took me 4 hours, given to the learning curve and two stripped out screws due to earlier use of too much locktite and too much force ... I now own an inch pound torque wrench for those pesky 5 and 6 mm screws Suzuki loves to hold body panels on.

Second install on the CTX700 took less than 2 hours. (I had all the right tools, supplies, and even I can learn from past mistakes)

If you plan to install an air horn on your bike I would suggest:

1. Buy a mirror on a stick to look into areas you may want to access and/or to help in the removal of plastic body panels. (Flash light also)

2. Have a DVM to check for ground and the correct voltages

3. A good set of electrical connector crimpers and wire strippers

4. Have extra wire, tie wraps, electrical tape and a fishing line to pull the wires through the bike.

I guess given the above tools and materials, I spent near $100 over the prices of the horns ...

RESULTS:

Very Happy With Results

You can still use the OEM beep beep horns without concern of using the air horn. (At least on paved road and freeway riding with gloves)

Having the High BEAMs flash with the Sounding of both the OEM beep beep horns and the Air Horn ... is a great attention getter for cage drivers.

OVERALL

I had fun doing the installs and proud both work as designed and good.

After I and Wife use the horns for a few weeks / months I will post again with more thoughts ...

#045 Harry Dresden PI
post #8 of 19 Old 06-13-2014, 11:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

The simple things always turn in to the longer jobs. I've been on the fence about something like this. I'm glad to know you're satisfied.
post #9 of 19 Old 06-13-2014, 11:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

In my experience there is absolutely nothing that will penetrate the mind-numb cell phone distracted driver in time to make a difference.

The horn may be useful to communicate displeasure but they sure won't stop someone from killing you while texting their latest greatest thought of the moment to their other web-zombie friends.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-13-2014, 11:18 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbetts View Post
In my experience there is absolutely nothing that will penetrate the mind-numb cell phone distracted driver in time to make a difference.
I agree. I had TWO 39db Stella horns on my '05 bike and they'd look at you, you'd hit the horns, and they would STILL keep coming into your lane.

More throttle.

-Tom (DL650AL2) (KA1TOX) (E-I-E-I-O)

This message and images are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode