First 350 miles observations - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-24-2014, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

First 350 miles observations

Well so far I love it! My last bike was a 2008 Concours 14. So I was thinking there's no way a 650 would work for me. But then I read a lot on here and decided to give the 650 a try. Romney Powersports had a 2013 demo they let me ride. Well that was good enough for me to buy one. They had the demo with 1400 miles for 6650. But they had a zero mile 2013 for 500 more. I wanted to be the first one to fart in the seat so I got the zero mile bike.

The seat is way better than I expected. The first day riding was a little rough because my iron butt was only tin foil status as I had not ridden since last summer. The second day was better. Today I was fine. Now I haven't ridden more than a 100 miles with a break in the middle but it's really not too bad. I had a Corbin modular on the Connie and previously had Corbin's on my two ZRX 1200's. They were great seats but a bit pricey. I'm gonna stick it out for awhile and break it and my butt in and see where it goes. I think no seat will ever be perfect but so far I like the stocker.

As far as performance I'm completely happy with the 650. I weigh about 220 and it's great. I took the wife out for a ride yesterday. She is 5' tall and 95lbs soaking wet. It was just fine for the two of us! For those thinking you have to have a 1000 because your last few bikes were bigger think again. Try one out if you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-24-2014, 04:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

It's a great bike. I've put 12,000 miles on mine so far, mostly two up, with loaded luggage. It won't pull up a hill with a load the way your Concours would, and it does get beat up a little on the interstates from passing trucks (understandably, since it's only about half the weight of my Road King), but all in all, it's probably my favorite motorcycle so far.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
post #3 of 4 Old 05-25-2014, 12:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyStrom View Post

The seat is way better than I expected. The first day riding was a little rough because my iron butt was only tin foil status as I had not ridden since last summer. The second day was better. Today I was fine. Now I haven't ridden more than a 100 miles with a break in the middle but it's really not too bad. I had a Corbin modular on the Connie and previously had Corbin's on my two ZRX 1200's. They were great seats but a bit pricey. I'm gonna stick it out for awhile and break it and my butt in and see where it goes. I think no seat will ever be perfect but so far I like the stocker.
I also had no issues with the seat on rides of less than 3 hours. It's only after 3-4 hours of riding that the stock seat starts to irritate me in some hot spots. On days when I only ride 2-3 hours I have zero problems with it.

I ended up upgrading to the Saddleman Adventure Tour seat and so far I am quite happy with it. I definitely feel like it helps on those longer trips although I still get some discomfort when I get to 6-8 hours of riding on the day.

Good luck with the bike.

post #4 of 4 Old 05-25-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandroidx View Post
I also had no issues with the seat on rides of less than 3 hours. It's only after 3-4 hours of riding that the stock seat starts to irritate me in some hot spots. On days when I only ride 2-3 hours I have zero problems with it.

I ended up upgrading to the Saddleman Adventure Tour seat and so far I am quite happy with it. I definitely feel like it helps on those longer trips although I still get some discomfort when I get to 6-8 hours of riding on the day.

Good luck with the bike.
So where did you buy your seat and how much do they run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode