New bike - lot's of questions - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 05-22-2014, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

New bike - lot's of questions

In a few days I will be picking up my first Wee which I was finally able to buy after much dreaming and planning. I got a good deal on a 2013 650 from a dealer several hundred miles away. The distance forces me to take a bus to the dealer and ride the bike home. My experience talking to salesmen is that most know little about the bike they are selling and will be unable to give advice to new Wee riders.

I am an experienced rider but not on a Wee. Do I need to take any special precautions just starting out. Is there anything that someone use to riding a street cruiser should be careful of when riding a Wee. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-22-2014, 02:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

If you are used to a street cruiser, the thing you must beware of the most is the speed at which you will be riding. Compared to a cruiser, you will think you will be running slow, but keep your eyes on the speedometer. And remember, V-Strom speedometers usually read 7% above real speed. For the rest, make sure you have ol in the pan and do not run out of fuel, the pump hates it.
post #3 of 23 Old 05-22-2014, 03:01 PM
$tromtrooper

Yes, I Think They're Top Heavy

The Vstroms take some getting used too, especially if you're short like me, 5'9", with short legs (29" inseam). I dropped mine twice at stops and low speeds when I first got my 2012 650.

I eventually lowered mine and had the seat lowered as well and we get along nicely now. I would suggest one footing stops if you're short while you're taking her home. You know, slide to the left, put your foot down, right foot on the brake.

Best/RR

post #4 of 23 Old 05-22-2014, 03:33 PM
bps
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies Rider View Post
The Vstroms take some getting used too, especially if you're short like me, 5'9", with short legs (29" inseam). I dropped mine twice at stops and low speeds when I first got my 2012 650.

I eventually lowered mine and had the seat lowered as well and we get along nicely now. I would suggest one footing stops if you're short while you're taking her home. You know, slide to the left, put your foot down, right foot on the brake.

Best/RR
+1 on the Wee being much taller. I've got a 30" inseam, and I'm on my toes at stops. It's really not that bad, but does take a little getting used to. Be careful especially if it doesn't have any crash bars on it. Other than that, it's an easy bike to ride. Have fun.

2013 Suzuki DL650
Farkles: Givi V46, V35 and racks, Rox riser, Madstad brackets and screen, Givi crash bars, tank pad, Rick's fork brace, mirror extenders, Side stand plate, and Auxiliary shelf, Augustus deflectors, Seat Concepts, Givi Skid Plate, Enduro Guardian Highway pegs, Wolfman Explorer Lite tank bag, Barkbusters VPS
IBA # 35452
2003 Honda ST1300 Sold
1999 Suzuki Marauder Sold
post #5 of 23 Old 05-22-2014, 03:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Funny how your past experience effects "first impressions". My last 2 bikes were dirt-oriented dual sports (DR650 and WR250R). Both were quite a bit taller. I jumped on the Wee, first thought was how much lower and easier to touch the ground it was! 2nd...now this is a level of power I can live with-not to little, plenty actually, but not enough to overwhelm. Next was...this thing gets as good a mileage as the 250, and my butt isn't sore after 20 miles in the saddle.
post #6 of 23 Old 05-22-2014, 04:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

jr7:

First of all, congratulations! And welcome!

Being a cruiser rider, you are used to coming to a stop and having some bend in your knees while both feet rest flat? Those days are over, for sure. I am 31" inseam and in many places am doing a ballerina tip toe to reach the ground. Let me tell you this right now... you do not, you DO NOT, have to have two feet flat on the ground when you come to a stop. That's a fallacy perpetuated by the cruiser crowd. :-)

One big thing to pay attention to on your first, LONG ride on a tall bike is when you are coming to a stop, whether a stop sign, stoplight, whatever...look ahead before you get there and check to see if the road is flat. If it is, proceed as usual.

If the road is crowned, IOW, tapers off to one side or the other, use the foot on the HIGH side to put down when you stop. If you use the low side foot, a tip over may be in your immediate future. This goes for almost any bike but on taller bikes like dual sports, it's just something else to take notice of.

The first or second time you don't notice it, and after you change underwear, it will soon be second nature to scan ahead for the pitch of the road.

And don't ever worry about always having to use the rear brake to hold yourself on a hill. Your right index finger draped over the front brake will do just fine for you if your right leg is busy holding the bike upright. :-)

Good luck, TAKE YOUR TIME and ENJOY that new ride!

Cheers!

Pat

PS-- I've always been lucky....most of the sales guys I've bought from over the years were very, very experienced riders and I always received good intel on the bike I was riding away from the dealership on.

In fact, my '13 DL 650 (just over a month old now) was purchased from the same salesman I bought my first Beemer from in '92! He's at a different dealership now and before I bought the DL, he reached in his pocket, tossed me some keys and said "Take mine out for a spin first, Pat". Yeah, he has a DL 650 too.

So don't count on your salesperson NOT being able to give you some tips. If he, or she, can't, ask to talk to one of the technicians. Most of them ride outside of work, their work does put them on scads of different bikes to test ride after service, so they too can be a valuable source of information for you who is new to tall bikes.

Again, good luck!!!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

#64-> White V-Strom Group! :-)
Poopy head #2 here....
post #7 of 23 Old 05-22-2014, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Great advice from everyone. I'm hearing things I would never have considered. THANKS!!
post #8 of 23 Old 05-22-2014, 09:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Coming from a cruiser, I too was a little worried about the height, etc. It is actually much easier to ride, balance and stop than my old Vulcan and takes the twisties nearly as good as a sport bike. Just take it easy on the tires until they get scuffed up. I love mine and I think you will, too. I'm fairly tall so the height is not an issue for me. As others mentioned, you can lower it or get a shorter seat. The biggest "problem" for me was that the clutch engaged much sooner than my previous bike, so that took some getting used to.

On second thought, the biggest problem is all the money I've spent for add-on stuff for the bike. (farkles...can't get used to that word either)

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #9 of 23 Old 05-22-2014, 09:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Be prepared for a terminal injury to your " cruiser-face ", your smile muscles are going to get a work out .

Not all my lucid moments are consecutive .
post #10 of 23 Old 05-22-2014, 09:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

You can rent a U-haul bike trailer for $14 a day. Rider safety says that you shouldn't have to have too many new things to deal with at once.

I'd trailer home even if I was familiar with the bike just because doing the engine break-in procedure requires secondary roads for the first 500 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode