Need help figuring out MC shipping logistics to St. Louis, MO (for one-way road trip) - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-16-2014, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Need help figuring out MC shipping logistics to St. Louis, MO (for one-way road trip)

This probably would be better suited to a general discussion area (it's not 2012+ DL650 specific), but I generally hang out in this part of the board and I'm not sure where it "should" go... So I'll put this here and let a mod move it if and as necessary.

I am planning a 3+ day road trip and figure that gives me about 1200-1400 miles of road to go by (since I would want to allow for at least 4 hours of sightseeing per day, and prefer not to ride at night). I have from Sunday 7/6 to the evening of Wed., 7/9 to do my Own Thing, before getting home to NYC.

One thought I have in my mind is to ship my bike ahead of time to St. Louis, MO; fly in there on Sunday AM, arriving around 11:30am, get my bike, catch the Cardinals game at Busch Stadium, see the Arch at night, and head out of St. Louis on Monday morning.

I would then spend Monday getting to Cincinnati for the Reds game that night, visiting a short stretch of Historic Route 66 and the Louisville Slugger Factory on the way; then riding further east, seeing a bit of Pittsburgh and the Monroeville Mall (in a sort of Zombie Pilgrimage) before stopping for the night somewhere on I-70 in Pennsylvania, and then getting home on Wednesday (not sure what there is to see in eastern PA on I-70 - maybe see "the" Reading Railroad station of Monopoly fame?).

The big problem: how could I arrive in St. Louis by airplane on a Sunday and pick up my motorcycle? All the MC dealerships in St. Louis are closed on Sunday, apparently by state law, so I can't have it shipped to one ahead of time for service or storage fee or something and then take a cab there to pick it up.

I suppose I could hunt around for any type of service station that would (a) be willing to receive a MC shipment a few days prior to 7/6 and (b) be open for me to get it... Is that feasible or possible? Has anybody ever done anything like this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-16-2014, 05:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

You might want to post your request on the adv board. I think they have a lot more traffic than this one.

2013 DL650A "Blue"
Previous bikes: '78 CB750F, '86 Nighthawk S, '87 EX500, '85 Sabre 700, '93 Katana 600, '75 Rupp 80, '78 DT250, '88 TT225, '89 CR250
post #3 of 12 Old 05-16-2014, 05:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

I know of a friend who had a motorcycle shipped from Ohio to Maryland via "Air Freight". Cost was around $300 bucks, but he had to pick it up from the air cargo terminal at Baltimore Washington International Airport. This might be an option for you. Most air cargo terminals are open on Sundays as well. Also, if you are an AMA member, you can get a discount on shipping from Federal Motorcycle Transport. They will give you a quote over the phone. They may also have a Sunday pickup option.

post #4 of 12 Old 05-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

I think there are several members on this forum who are in St Louis. Maybe you could work out an arrangement with one of them to use their address as an end destination for the shipping company.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
post #5 of 12 Old 05-16-2014, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRandy View Post
I know of a friend who had a motorcycle shipped from Ohio to Maryland via "Air Freight". Cost was around $300 bucks, but he had to pick it up from the air cargo terminal at Baltimore Washington International Airport. This might be an option for you. Most air cargo terminals are open on Sundays as well. Also, if you are an AMA member, you can get a discount on shipping from Federal Motorcycle Transport. They will give you a quote over the phone. They may also have a Sunday pickup option.
That's very interesting - ironically, picking it up at the airport would happen to be ideal in this case. But I think when you ship a bike that way you have to drain it of fluids? Oil, fuel, even brake fluid (!)? Makes it a bit hard to just ride off after picking it up, in fact I'd have to bring all those fluids with me somehow.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-17-2014, 07:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

I think you should take a few extra days and ride both ways!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 12 Old 05-17-2014, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapbastard View Post
I think you should take a few extra days and ride both ways!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
LOL, believe me, I thought about that. But time does not permit
post #8 of 12 Old 05-20-2014, 09:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

You'd be better off to try and do a one way rental of a Harley through Eaglerider or something, fly to SL and ride it home, then turn it in there.

If you can even do a "one way" MC rental....? If not, rent a one way Miata.

I personally would either ride it both ways or not at all, I understand time is a factor, but by shipping it you will be incurring a significant expense, not to mention wasting a lot of time, and possibly imposing on other forum members who feel compelled to help you... for a three day trip. If this was a lifetime defining ride, going to Chile or something, sure; but you are barely even crossing into another time zone!
post #9 of 12 Old 05-21-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
That's very interesting - ironically, picking it up at the airport would happen to be ideal in this case. But I think when you ship a bike that way you have to drain it of fluids? Oil, fuel, even brake fluid (!)? Makes it a bit hard to just ride off after picking it up, in fact I'd have to bring all those fluids with me somehow.
Just thinking out loud here. A ticket from St. Louis to LaGuardia on the 6th can be purchased for $300+/-. Would you consider "shipping" your bike with a rider for the cost of a return flight and a little cash? I could leave my Strom with family in Rockville Centre and ride your bike to St. Louis, handing it to you fully gassed and ready to rip when you stepped of the plane. Then I hop on a jet back to LaGuardia and take a cab to RVC to ride home.

There must be troopers or other riders closer than me.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-22-2014, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adk Patroller View Post
Just thinking out loud here. A ticket from St. Louis to LaGuardia on the 6th can be purchased for $300+/-. Would you consider "shipping" your bike with a rider for the cost of a return flight and a little cash? I could leave my Strom with family in Rockville Centre and ride your bike to St. Louis, handing it to you fully gassed and ready to rip when you stepped of the plane. Then I hop on a jet back to LaGuardia and take a cab to RVC to ride home.

There must be troopers or other riders closer than me.
Funny you should mention this. I was just thinking about this.

Change of plans though: I'm now going to ride west from my house on Sunday and fly back to LGA on Wednesday, so as to avoid the issue of stuff being closed on Sunday - and also, one of the "roadside stops" I'd like to make along the way (the Reading Pagoda in Reading, PA) is only open on weekends, so it makes more sense for me to pass through there on Sunday heading west.

But yeah - I'd be open to paying for a return flight from NY to StL, a steak dinner and a night's stay at my house (if necessary/desired) for someone who'd want to ride my bike home for me from StL, and who could meet me on Wed. around noon somewhere in the city to take it over.

Or in your case, if someone local to me in NYC were willing to fly out to StL on Wed. AM, take my bike around noon at the airport to ride back east while I go in to fly home, LOL. I'd spring for the one way airfare and say $300 to cover costs of fuel and 2 night's lodgings. And of course I'd drive you home, or would just have my wife drive me over to you in RockV Centre to get the bike to ride home from there.

Last edited by robardin; 05-22-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode