Cracked engine case - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 05-14-2014, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Cracked engine case

I developed an oil leak. It seemed to be coming from one of the bolts that hold the front bracket for my motech skid plate. When I looked closer I discovered that the bracket had actually cracked the case near the top bolt on the right side. I don't remember any hard hits recently. So I think it was just from movement or flex. The edge of the bracket was in contact with the case and eventually pushed into it enough to crack it. It isn't a rub through, but a small crack about 1/2". I patched it with JB weld and we'll see if that holds up.

Meanwhile I removed those brackets. The skid plate seems plenty sturdy sticking out in front without them. I believe the weld86 plate just sticks out like that without any support. I thought about modifying the brackets with a little grinding to relieve any contacts points but I don't think it's necessary and I don't really want the plate attached to my engine case like it was after this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 05-14-2014, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Here's a pic. The bracket was held by the two bolts shown. You can see my patch where it cracked.

post #3 of 37 Old 05-14-2014, 11:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

That blows. My SW Motech skidplate uses those same bolts for the front mounts. I'm stuck, though, since the HB bars I have don't work with any of the skidplates that have to attach to the crossover bar.

I'll keep an eye on mine...thanks for the heads up.

"No matter where you go, there you are."

post #4 of 37 Old 05-15-2014, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

If you take a little material off of the brackets around the little holes, so that the edge doesn't contact the case, it would probably prevent this. But I'm not sure those brackets really serve any purpose anyway, so removing them might be just fine. We'll see. The left bracket didn't look like it rubbed the case like the right side did.
post #5 of 37 Old 05-15-2014, 12:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

My plastic Hyde racing sump guard is on it's second DL, now with a total of around 170,000k's of undamaged bike above it's head - and it's taken some horrible hits.

The potential for that problem with the sturdier metal guards was the reason I went for the flexible guard instead of solid metal.

It still sucks, and sorry about the damage. This is just an FYI if anyone is looking at that, a guard for a DL 650 doesn't have to be done that way.

Pete
post #6 of 37 Old 05-15-2014, 01:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks. I'll take a look at the brackets on mine and see if they are touching the case and creating any possible pressure points.

post #7 of 37 Old 05-15-2014, 03:49 AM
Stromthusiast!

I also appreciate the heads up. Will check my brackets today.
post #8 of 37 Old 05-15-2014, 07:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

This is something to check on all stroms 650 or 1000. I have a skid plate and crash bar set up on my 1K also..brand irrelevant. The rear mount plate on one side was dangerously close to the engine case, so I bent the offending area for more clearance and ground a radius.

Whats worse is the front pair of mounts connect to a cross bar and are very close to my cylinder head near the timing chain area. I have not found a good way to correct this and one substantial hit to the plate will likely drive the plate rearward and crack my cylinder head putting pieces into the engine.

Some of these set ups look great from a distance and absolutely suck in their execution with the mounting system. On mine it would have been so easy to do it correctly....but they did not.

2000 Red Honda XR 400r
2003 Green Honda Rincon 650 ATV

If it is not broken, it can still be fixed
post #9 of 37 Old 05-15-2014, 08:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

Mods......Maybe this should be a sticky? Might be something for current and future motech owners to look into?

Boycott SV Racing
post #10 of 37 Old 05-15-2014, 08:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteW View Post
My plastic Hyde racing sump guard is on it's second DL, now with a total of around 170,000k's of undamaged bike above it's head - and it's taken some horrible hits.

The potential for that problem with the sturdier metal guards was the reason I went for the flexible guard instead of solid metal.

It still sucks, and sorry about the damage. This is just an FYI if anyone is looking at that, a guard for a DL 650 doesn't have to be done that way.

Pete
Back when I bought my 2012, I looked at a Hyde Racing skidplate but they didn't have one available for the new 650. I just looked at their site again, and they still don't list a skidplate for anything newer than a 2009 V-strom. Is their website not up to date, or do you have a 2009 or older?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode