Cowling Body Repair - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-13-2014, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Cowling Body Repair

Towards the end of my ride on Sunday, I had a run in with a wild turkey. Quite the experience for a new rider with 400 miles on the bike! It hit the upper right (looking forward) side of the windshield and grazed my right mirror. Other than some broken plastic, the bike seems fine. I had no issues on the rest of the ride home.

The mirror is fine, and I believe the windshield is also fine, just dirty.

Based on this parts diagram, the front cowling, front panel, and meter panel are broken. Of course, other fasteners could be broken once pieces are removed.

I'm a DIY guy, and have done lots of work on my cars/trucks. I'm assuming that this is pretty straight forward. Remove parts, determine what is broken, order replacements, reassemble. Has anyone actually dug in to this area on a 2012 or newer V-Strom 650? Any tips? If you were to order parts, any recommendations?

Lastly, any reason why you would take the bike in to a dealer instead of attempting the repair on your own? I have a $500 deductible.

Thanks,

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

Some one was selling body parts in the "For Sale" section a few weeks ago.

never mind, wrong year

2013 DL650A "Blue"
Previous bikes: '78 CB750F, '86 Nighthawk S, '87 EX500, '85 Sabre 700, '93 Katana 600, '75 Rupp 80, '78 DT250, '88 TT225, '89 CR250

Last edited by everready; 05-13-2014 at 01:51 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-13-2014, 01:59 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
are you looking for body parts for the turkey too?

"Side effects may include: Mild kidney explosions...Testicular cranberrying... And Rectal hallucinations."

post #4 of 10 Old 05-13-2014, 07:30 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sranderle View Post
Has anyone actually dug in to this area on a 2012 or newer V-Strom 650? Any tips? If you were to order parts, any recommendations?

Thanks,

Steve
I replaced my windshield, dash cowling, and steel fairing bracket. It's pretty simple. Pay attention to which style screws go where. I'd wait till you have the new parts and do it all in one shot, rather than rely on memory.

post #5 of 10 Old 05-13-2014, 08:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

I broke a piece off one of the plastic panels around the instrument panel and found it challenging as it has some complicated fasteners. Some instruction in the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AagV5zdYE4

And some text (and photos in the second and third) in these threads:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2...oval-help.html

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2...oto-guide.html

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2...12-glee-3.html

When I did it, I found that that the service manual little use and I almost was taking the headlights apart before realizing that there are 4 Phillips head screws (large head) that hold the cowling to the square headlight halo. Once those are removed (if memory serves, you need a stubby screwdriver or socket to get the bottom two) it is relatively straightforward but there are some excellent photos and advice in the third thread for the side panels.

Brad
12 DL 650
00 KLR 650C

Last edited by jurgenk; 05-13-2014 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Added More Info
post #6 of 10 Old 05-13-2014, 09:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Fricken Turkeys. They're a meanace in my neighborhood, always popping out from in between cars
post #7 of 10 Old 05-13-2014, 09:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

I replaced cowling parts and mirrors on my DL1000 2007. No reason to take to the dealer to fix this. In fact to change air filter we already have to remove some plastics, so this is not a challenge at all. Hopefully you did no fall.

Ride safe!
V Strom DL650 - 2013 Riding
V Strom DL1000 - 2007 Sold
Honda Shadow 750 - 2000 Sold
post #8 of 10 Old 05-13-2014, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thanks for all of the tips. I am going to go at this myself. I'll take it out a time or two first, just to make sure that it still feels sound.

I did not fall after the impact. I didn't see it coming until the last second, as it came out of a deep left side ditch. The impact caused a bit of wobble, but it quickly dissipated. I also noticed some scrapes on my right hand Barkbuster. Just one more thing they are good at. Without them, the impact may have applied my front brakes.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-16-2014, 01:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sranderle View Post
Thanks for all of the tips. I am going to go at this myself. I'll take it out a time or two first, just to make sure that it still feels sound.

I did not fall after the impact. I didn't see it coming until the last second, as it came out of a deep left side ditch. The impact caused a bit of wobble, but it quickly dissipated. I also noticed some scrapes on my right hand Barkbuster. Just one more thing they are good at. Without them, the impact may have applied my front brakes.
Just take you time, bag or separate fasteners, take pictures and wait until your done before having that beer.......... or three.

2013 DL650A "Blue"
Previous bikes: '78 CB750F, '86 Nighthawk S, '87 EX500, '85 Sabre 700, '93 Katana 600, '75 Rupp 80, '78 DT250, '88 TT225, '89 CR250
post #10 of 10 Old 05-16-2014, 02:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

That really sucks, I bet there was glass all over the place....... Those "wild turkeys" are everywhere !

Glad your ok. They really can do a lot of damage.

just give it a little gas, it will be ok !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode