Advice on Rox riser 3.5" - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-11-2014, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Advice on Rox riser 3.5"

I have a 2012 650. I have mainly been doing short rides (less than an hour) and had no issues. The previous owner put Pro Taper Contour KX high bars on the bike. I tilted them back quite a bit so they are closer to me. I'm 5'10" tall with normal arms (about 25.5" to 26.5" from pit to fingertip).

I finally took the bike on a 300 mile ride. My back felt like there was a baseball on fire in the area between the shoulder blades close to the spine. It killed me to even turn my head to do a lane check.

I'm first going to attempt to put the stock bars back on. I had my wife look at me on the bike. The consensus was I needed the bars at least 2" closer if not more to straighten me up and get me able to pull my elbows in. I'm trying to do this right the first time, so I was thinking of getting the 3.5" Rox Elite Pivot Risers for 7/8" or 1 1/8" Handlebars.

I've been reading all the threads on extended brake lines and extended electrical lines and rerouting of lines. I have no issue spending the money to make this bike comfortable to ride, but just don't want to do it twice.

Has anybody installed the 3.5" risers? If so, what did that do to the handling of the bike and I'm assuming with that much rise new lines would be necessary? Would it be worth it to try the 2" risers first with the stock bars, and sell the risers if I wasn't happy? Am I even in the right ballpark to get rid of the upper back pain, or are the bars not the problem?

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-11-2014, 11:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

I think I've read that even for a 2 inch riser you have to change the brake line. If that is true might as well get the 3.5. In have a the 2 inch Rox riser on my 05 and like it but wouldn't mind a bit more rise. On the 05 more than a 2 inch would require a brake line change.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-12-2014, 09:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have the 2" Rox risers as well. I got around the purchase of longer lines and cables by simply cutting 1/2" off of each end of my bars. I am a New England woods rider so I am used to narrow bars on all of my bikes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 10 Old 05-12-2014, 09:28 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

At 5' 10" I am not sure raising the bars anymore will help. I have 30mm risers on stock bars, I am taller with a tall midsection for my height. My first concern is the current bars shape. More than the height, the angle of the handgrips can make a huge difference in feel of the bars. I would try the stock bars first to see if you like that shape better. Then maybe raise those? 30mm is about all you can go with and not change cables.

Beyond that you might have to change riding posture. Sounds like you need to learn to lighten your grip on the bars. Sounds weird, but it can be a hard habit to break and gripping tightly will cause all sorts of muscle issues.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #5 of 10 Old 05-12-2014, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
At 5' 10" I am not sure raising the bars anymore will help. I have 30mm risers on stock bars, I am taller with a tall midsection for my height. My first concern is the current bars shape. More than the height, the angle of the handgrips can make a huge difference in feel of the bars. I would try the stock bars first to see if you like that shape better. Then maybe raise those? 30mm is about all you can go with and not change cables.

Beyond that you might have to change riding posture. Sounds like you need to learn to lighten your grip on the bars. Sounds weird, but it can be a hard habit to break and gripping tightly will cause all sorts of muscle issues.
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm not looking for the rise, mainly the reach as I want to pull the bars closer to me. I was riding Interstate and doing as much as I could to relax, I just think I was reaching too far to hold the bars comfortably. I was using a crampbuster and mostly resting my left arm in my lap to relieve the back pain. I really wasn't even holding on to the bars. I'm making an assumption that too far of reach was causing the pain.

I will try the stock bars first. Then probably get the risers next. I can say I do like the wrist position of the KX high bars better than the stock bars.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-12-2014, 05:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

I bought my risers more to move the bars back, rather than upwards.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 10 Old 05-12-2014, 07:58 PM
$tromtrooper

Getting bars with less sweep than stock largely solved the problem you describe on my '06. Again on the '06, 2" risers benefit from longer brake lines. Much more and cables and electrical wiring could require mod. Bars are cheap, though, experiment with that first.

1985 Honda CB450SC (AUG04 - SEP09)
2004 Honda CN250 Helix (NOV09 - )
2006 Suzuki DL650 (MAR07 - APR15)
2014 BMW R1200GSW (APR14 - )
Lordsmoke, still refusing to obey the voices!
post #8 of 10 Old 05-12-2014, 11:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

My Calculations

I have been looking at the 3.5" Rox risers as well.

I have fitted a Scott Steering damper and the Powermadd 2 " riser ( a rotating style similar to the Rox) was not sufficient to clear the Scott.

Using my compass I have estimated that the 3.5" riser set at 45 degrees back toward the rider would be about 3/4" closer to the rider than a set of 2" back by 2" up solid riser block.

This is an estimation because I couldn't find an old ruler with feet and inches on it so I estimated 2cm=1 inch. (when will the USA catch up with the rest of the world and use the metric system???)

I am looking for a set up that will allow for comfort when standing ( dirt road use)
post #9 of 10 Old 05-12-2014, 11:59 PM
$tromtrooper

I should probably stop contributing, and I will, since I don't have a 2012+, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrman View Post
I have been looking at the 3.5" Rox risers as well.

I have fitted a Scott Steering damper and the Powermadd 2 " riser ( a rotating style similar to the Rox) was not sufficient to clear the Scott...
Nor would it clear the stem nut on my '06 even without the damper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrman View Post
... so I estimated 2cm=1 inch.
2.54 is better. And don't hold your breath. If anything, we are regressing.

1985 Honda CB450SC (AUG04 - SEP09)
2004 Honda CN250 Helix (NOV09 - )
2006 Suzuki DL650 (MAR07 - APR15)
2014 BMW R1200GSW (APR14 - )
Lordsmoke, still refusing to obey the voices!
post #10 of 10 Old 05-14-2014, 04:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

I fitted the 2" Roxys. I didn't like the way there was less weight over the front wheel and the steering felt too light so I took them off again. On my DL650 2012 I did not have to extend any lines at all

DL650 Pearl White 2012

Madstad 20" Dark Gray Adventure
Akrapovic Exhaust
P Command 5
K&N Air Filter
Givi V47 Givi V35
Suzuki Hand Guards
Adventuretech Fork Brace & Foot Peg Lowering Kit
Bigfoot Side Stand Platform
SV Racing Sliders
Eastern Beaver Relay Kit
HID Front Lights
Led Fog & Side Lights
SW-motech light holders
P3 Skene Daylights & Blasters Rear
Stebel Airhorn
Oxford Heat Handgrips
RAM mount
Garmin
Adaptiv Radar Detector
Road Trail Pilot 4
Drift Ghost S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode