Issues After 600 mile service - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 Old 05-11-2014, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Issues After 600 mile service

I reluctantly brought my bike to the dealer I bought it from for the 600 mile service (bike was at around 820 miles). First off, I got ripped off, like royally. They charge $220 (YES $220USD) for the first service! This is double what other people say they paid. To add insult to injury they seem to have done a terrible job.

Issue #1 - They did not adjust the chain, the one thing I specifically mentioned. It has about 2-3 inches of movement if I push it up on the bottom of the chain. It physically rests on the chain guard on the top of the swing arm.

I believe Issue #2 is related to issue #1. The bike makes noise, a seriously annoying noise. I thought it was an engine noise but its not. Its a drive train noise. If I rev the engine with the clutch engaged (or is it disengaged, i always forget how that goes - the one where the engine is not connected to the sprocket) the bike makes no noise, it also makes no noise when coasting. It only makes this noise when I have engaged the throttle more than 5-10%. the noise is hard to describe, my girlfriend says its a rubbing noise, on the bike it more sounds like a water spraying noise or something. I am guessing this noise is the loose chain either rubbing on the swingarm guard or some noise that is made when its just too loose? I am hoping when I bring the bike back to get the chain adjusted that the noise goes away.

Issue #3 - neutral is now a gear. Before the service finding neutral was a little tricky but doable. Now neutral is a full gear with a distinct click. I even got stuck in between gears while trying to downshift a few times. One time it was almost a dangerous situation. Upshifting seems to be ok. The times it got stuck the display showed no gear and i tried to down shift over and over and it wouldnt. I eventually rolled the bike a bit and kept trying and then finally it downshifted once and showed 2nd on the display. I then was able to downshift again TWICE (since i had to click through neutral) and ended up in 1st. I assume this means that the first service includes adjusting the shifter in some way and they did it poorly? Just like the clarify that the bike shifted perfectly every time before the service.

Issue #4 - this might not be an issue but I am not 100% sure they changed my oil filter. I forgot the mark the filter to make sure they did but when I got home i thought i noticed some dirt on the filter in the same place it was on the old filter but this is really non scientific and could be in my head entirely. It further makes me feel stupid though for trusting this dealership with their rip off prices. After this incident I will be doing all oil changes myself in the future. I only had them do this service as many people said the first service was important to get done professionally.

Issue #5 - its probably in my head but it seems like the bike has less power in 1st and 2nd gear after the service. It just doesnt seem to pull like it did before, but this could be in my head or just that i have gotten used to the power of the bike. Just want to make sure there isnt something in the first service if done incorrectly could cause this?

The last thing isnt an issue but just an annoyance. I picked up the bike after a major downpour storm. I waited like 20 min for them to bring my bike and I asked what was going on and i was told that the guy was probably cleaning the bike before bringing it up. The guy then pulls up with my bike soaking frigan wet. Is this normal procedure? I really didnt want my bike hosed down and I feel like this is something they should ask before doing. It was mint clean when I brought it to them. I guess maybe they got it dirty when working on it and it was really a courtesy? I also wondered if they left it outside in the back in the rain and used the hosing it off as an excuse. Who knows. The seat was not wet at least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 05-11-2014, 07:10 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Sounds like a bad dealer experience.....luckily with the V you probably only need them to change tires. As for the chain, you need to be an expert at adjusting that yourself - it is easy once you do it a couple times. Also, remove the rear hub bolt and put anti-sieze on it an and torque to 58 ft/lb. My shifting is still stiff after 1500 miles, think it is normal. Enjoy the Ride!
post #3 of 63 Old 05-11-2014, 07:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

Dont know if it helps you, but i was charged $257 for the first service.
I knew, it will happen, but decided to make first service by dealer.

He was a very cautious man who never romped and played,
He never smoked, He never drank, Nor ever kissed a maid,
And when he up and passed away his insurance was denied...
For since he hadn't ever lived, they claimed he never died.

credit to UngaWunga @ ADVrider

post #4 of 63 Old 05-11-2014, 07:48 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandroidx View Post

I believe Issue #2 is related to issue #1. The bike makes noise, a seriously annoying noise. I thought it was an engine noise but its not. Its a drive train noise. If I rev the engine with the clutch engaged (or is it disengaged, i always forget how that goes - the one where the engine is not connected to the sprocket) the bike makes no noise, it also makes no noise when coasting. It only makes this noise when I have engaged the throttle more than 5-10%. the noise is hard to describe, my girlfriend says its a rubbing noise, on the bike it more sounds like a water spraying noise or something. I am guessing this noise is the loose chain either rubbing on the swingarm guard or some noise that is made when its just too loose? I am hoping when I bring the bike back to get the chain adjusted that the noise goes away.

I have exactly the same problem. My bike has 900 miles and the noise seems to come from the front sprocket. It occurs from 50 km / h and 3rd gear and more. If you find the answer, I'd like to know.
post #5 of 63 Old 05-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

Did they break down the $220 cost on the invoice? Labor, parts etc?

If you want to DIY I suggest you ask questions here and buy some tools.

I brought the SV in for warranty work (clutch slave leaking) and I had a cracked counter shaft cover. Told them to fix it. The only thing they did was fix the leak, said F you on the cracked cover and had the bike for a week (left outside in the rain) and it cost me $70 for labor!

Never bringing in a bike again except for MAYBE warranty work. I tried to get the DL front brake switch and DIY but they said I could not. At least they didn't charge me or F that up.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!

Last edited by D.T.; 05-11-2014 at 08:27 AM.
post #6 of 63 Old 05-11-2014, 10:01 AM
$tromtrooper

So let's have some dealer names. A "good and bad" dealer experience sticky on the forum would be nice.

post #7 of 63 Old 05-11-2014, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambouillet View Post
Sounds like a bad dealer experience.....luckily with the V you probably only need them to change tires. As for the chain, you need to be an expert at adjusting that yourself - it is easy once you do it a couple times. Also, remove the rear hub bolt and put anti-sieze on it an and torque to 58 ft/lb. My shifting is still stiff after 1500 miles, think it is normal. Enjoy the Ride!
I will do it in the future but since I paid for it, I plan on going back to the dealer and making them do it.

As far as the shifting, the thing is, it was perfect until they messed with it. I dont mind it being stiff, but i feel its dangerous for neutral to be a gear and not in the middle where it should be.
post #8 of 63 Old 05-11-2014, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGI2003 View Post
Dont know if it helps you, but i was charged $257 for the first service.
I knew, it will happen, but decided to make first service by dealer.
Damn, now i feel a lot better, at least my dealer isnt the worst out there price wise.

I felt the same way, just wanted it all done professionally for the first service.
post #9 of 63 Old 05-11-2014, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berger View Post
I have exactly the same problem. My bike has 900 miles and the noise seems to come from the front sprocket. It occurs from 50 km / h and 3rd gear and more. If you find the answer, I'd like to know.
Is your chain loose as well? I agree, it seems to come from the front sprocket for sure, that is the exact area it comes from. I am guessing its due to a loose chain, hoping someone can confirm.
post #10 of 63 Old 05-11-2014, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Did they break down the $220 cost on the invoice? Labor, parts etc?

If you want to DIY I suggest you ask questions here and buy some tools.

I brought the SV in for warranty work (clutch slave leaking) and I had a cracked counter shaft cover. Told them to fix it. The only thing they did was fix the leak, said F you on the cracked cover and had the bike for a week (left outside in the rain) and it cost me $70 for labor!

Never bringing in a bike again except for MAYBE warranty work. I tried to get the DL front brake switch and DIY but they said I could not. At least they didn't charge me or F that up.

Yep, I plan on avoiding the dealer at all costs except for warranty work. This dealer is slammed with customers, they are HUGE, the biggest on the east coast I hear. I had good experience with the sales department but not so much with service yet. They are courteous, etc but with all the issues i listed in my first post, the experience was not good overall, after all its the mechanical stuff that matters.

I did get a break down. It was like $195 in labor and the rest in parts. They charge $99 an hour, I guess they are saying the first service is a 2 hour job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode