4000 mile oil change rip-off - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 05-09-2014, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

4000 mile oil change rip-off

I am in the process of doing a DIY oil/filter change @ 4,000 miles on my '12 Wee Adventure. For the record I bought "genuine" Suzuki parts, including $15.89 for a filter and. . .

$4.93 FOR A CRUSH WASHER!!!!!!!

Needless to say, next time I'll be looking elsewhere for parts; I'm sure a $.99 BMW washer would work just as well.

Doesn't make any sense to change the oil every 4k and filter every 12k. Maybe every other oil change?

Alternatives? Thoughts?

Steve Oliver, USN, Retired
Las Vegas, NV, Iron Butt Association #16507
My Motorcycle: 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure
My Motorscooter: 2013 Piaggio BV-350
Former rides:
2005 BMW R1200RT, 2002 BMW R1150RS, 1995 BMW R1100RS
197X Yamaha RD350, 1966 Suzuki X6 Hustler
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I don't replace crush washers, I don't use the Suzuki filters, I do change the oil about every 4 to 5 K and the filter every other change. Your other alternative is to really get ripped off and have the dealer do it for you, and what you just spent won't seem so bad.

Oh and it is cheaper to maintain than the BMW's I see on your signature.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #3 of 22 Old 05-09-2014, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

That's one of the reasons I bought the Suzuki - cost of ownership. I spent $.10/mile on my RT, parts, labor, tires, battery, and an unfortunate cracked sump. The first farkle I bought for the Wee was a Weld86 skid plate.

What is your source of filter: K&N?

Steve Oliver, USN, Retired
Las Vegas, NV, Iron Butt Association #16507
My Motorcycle: 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure
My Motorscooter: 2013 Piaggio BV-350
Former rides:
2005 BMW R1200RT, 2002 BMW R1150RS, 1995 BMW R1100RS
197X Yamaha RD350, 1966 Suzuki X6 Hustler
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 22 Old 05-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
$4.93 FOR A CRUSH WASHER!!!!!!!
You need to find another shop. Did they use any lube on you before they rammed it home? Should be less than $2. I think I paid $160 and felt reamed. I don't remember my filter cost but it was less. Try Dual Sport Oil Filters | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC and I think their washers are $1.30. I almost always change the filter and washer and I do the oil at 3 to 3.5K. I ride it hard so I figure I owe it.

. . . . . BIKES . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . DL650 FARKLES
2013 DL650 Adventure . . . . . . BB VPS, HT Center Stand,
2009 DR650, 2009 DRZ400 . . . .Kaoko, Oxford Grips.
2002 ZG1000, 1999 DR350 . . . .EB PC-8, ABS Switch &
-Some others long gone-. . . . . Headlight Relay Kit.
75&77 CB400F, 78 GS550 . . . . AdvTech Fork Brace,
---- First Bike ----. . . . . . . . . Peg Lowering Kit,
------ 1973 ------. . . . . . . . . Aux Shelf & Over Dash Shelf.
-- Suzuki T-500 --. . . . . . . . . E. G. Bash Plate & Hwy Pegs
post #5 of 22 Old 05-09-2014, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloliver View Post
That's one of the reasons I bought the Suzuki - cost of ownership. I spent $.10/mile on my RT, parts, labor, tires, battery, and an unfortunate cracked sump. The first farkle I bought for the Wee was a Weld86 skid plate.

What is your source of filter: K&N?
Yeah I really like the K&N filter, and having the welded nut on the end cap is pretty handy. The Wix filters from NAPA are favorites of mine too, but I pretty much just use the K&N now. No torque wrench for the oil drain plug, just snug it down with a box end wrench.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #6 of 22 Old 05-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

I used one the filters from the list of substitute filters, bought at a local auto store, still ten buck though. The washers I bought from the Suzuki dealer were only $1.10 or something.

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2...l-filters.html

Last edited by eff naked teeth; 05-09-2014 at 05:41 PM.
post #7 of 22 Old 05-09-2014, 05:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Auto parts stores have 12 mm oil drain plug gaskets. Aluminum, copper, fiber, nylon--all work well, but with aluminum threads I don't use copper--takes more torque to get to seal sometimes. You don't need Suzuki's crush washer, and it doesn't need to be changed every time.

The oil filter is relatively large for the size of the engine. The filter on my 4.7L V8 in my truck isn't much larger, and I run that 10,000 miles. I'm OK with 10k or 12k on the filter. Others replace every time. Whatever helps you sleep good at night.... The local shop has used thousands of Hiflo filters over the years without a problem. Their price is OK--HF138 is the model number. Hiflo makes the motorcycle oil filters for K&N, KN138, they're good, but I'm not sure they're worth any extra cost. WIX 51359 & NAPA 1359 also are good filters at OK prices. $5.88 from Fleetfilter.com; order a year's supply of all filters for the family fleet & friends to share the shipping cost.

I just put on a Gold Plug oil drain plug with a very strong magnet. This comes with an aluminum gasket. The original plug's magnet had no pull, and the Gold Plug magnet is very strong. I'll see how much iron & steel dust it picks up when I next change the oil. I've used similar drain plugs in cars, and they always have a lump of mud-looking iron dust on the end.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.

Last edited by PTRider; 05-09-2014 at 05:49 PM.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-09-2014, 05:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've changed my washer once in probably four oil changes, and for no other reason than that I'd never changed it. My thoughts are that, if you see the drainplug leaking, then you should probably get a new crush washer. I doubt if I'll replace mine again unless I see that happening.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
post #9 of 22 Old 05-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Smile gasket, smashget

Quote:
... I bought "genuine" Suzuki parts, including $15.89 for a filter and. . . $4.93 FOR A CRUSH WASHER!!!!!!!

Needless to say, next time I'll be looking elsewhere for parts; I'm sure a $.99 BMW washer would work just as well.
At today's wages, a dealership can hardly afford to sell a grain of sand at your non-furious price. If you find one who sells them individually that cheap, it's because they wish to keep the goodwill of customers who may do some profitable business later.

At my local dealer, they claim to want $1.26 for that "gasket", but gave me some when I had the bike in for another reason and asked about the washer.

I cannot think of any reason to replace that gasket unless it gets mangled or scarred during plug removal. Whatever spring is left in it when the plug is taken out is just what is left in it as the plug was last tightened. If it leaks at all, it will be very slow and easy to detect before it creates a problem. I don't replace them because I see it as pointless when the surfaces are smooth and it is hard to get off once crushed.

Quote:
Doesn't make any sense to change the oil every 4k and filter every 12k. Maybe every other oil change?

Alternatives? Thoughts?
I think the oil/filter change ratio is already greatly in favor of the engine at the expense of filter and labor cost, so I'm not inclined to second guess the recommendation. Maybe if the oil had visible particulates in it, I would worry about the filter requiring higher pressure to move the oil, but the oil I take out every 3500 miles looks too clean to motivate throwing extra filters at the bike.
post #10 of 22 Old 05-09-2014, 07:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

If its not leaky then it don't need to be changed, if it looks like it leaked before you take the drain out, then replace the washer

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

RandyO
IBA# 9560
07 Strom 1k (8x,xxx miles)
99 SV650 (135,006 miles)
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
www.gbhsurvey.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode