H4 Dual Relay Kit - eastern beaver - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 05-09-2014, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

H4 Dual Relay Kit - eastern beaver

Sorry if this is covered. I'm being a bit lazy as there's so much stuff to slog through here and I don't see my questions answered.

I'm thinking about installing one of these as a preventative measure, and to increase my headlight's brightness.

I'm just wondering how necessary this is. Can anyone guestimate the likelihood that without the relay I'll eventually have an issue? And how much brighter are the stock bulbs with the relay?

They also sell a "heavy duty dis-connector" for "easy fairing removal". Its only $5, but is it worth it?

Anything else I should know about this before I go ahead?

(I have a '13 DL650 (aka "GLEE") )

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-09-2014, 02:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

I don't think anyone can honestly give you a failure rate. There's a poll on the site that shows the number of people who have reported problems. I felt that the chance for failure was enough that it was worth installing the relays, but you'll find others who think that a switch failure is unlikely enough not to bother. It's just one of those issues that, if it happens to you, you'll be without headlights, with no easy roadside repair. Greywolf recommends it, and his expertise is sufficient enough to me that I decided to do it.

I did add the quick disconnect to the relay. I removed the gas tank and routed the power supply wires for the headlights inside the frame, and it would be a pain to undo all that if I had to remove the fairing. The disconnect is a nice feature.

"No matter where you go, there you are."

Last edited by RCinNC; 05-11-2014 at 09:48 AM. Reason: additional information
post #3 of 26 Old 05-09-2014, 03:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

I also have the '13 G-Strom.

I went with the H4 and quick disconnect. Easy to install and gives me peace of mind. I also got the heated grip and aux attachments, and the 3 circuit connector. EB has great quality stuff.

Not really answering your question, but I don't think there's enough data to say how likely it is to fail.

[URL="https://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/211578-california-idaho-lolo-motorway-magruder.html"]California to Idaho Adventure style[/URL]
[URL=http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478959]Taking America by Strom 2015[/URL]

-----------------------
Timing is everything.

post #4 of 26 Old 05-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCinNC View Post
I don't think anyone can honestly give you a failure rate. There's a poll on the site that shows the number of people who have reported problems.
Agreed. Unfortunately, IMO the poll was inherently flawed because there was no option for "No Problem".

I know plenty of folks with multiple Stroms under their belts, with no headlight issues and no relays added. I also know that Jim @ EB is not in the business of wasting his time or your money on a frivolous product, so the demand must be there.
post #5 of 26 Old 05-09-2014, 03:52 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
The option for no problem is historically unused, so not statistically valid. I would think the percentage of failures is small, but mostly because the average motorcycle doesn't reach 20,000 miles. If you want to do twice that, I'd add relays. If you know how to wire relays, you can do it for under $10. Most of the kit cost is in labor to wire up the kit.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #6 of 26 Old 05-09-2014, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Strom with 325K that does not have this mod I believe, so it is a crap shoot I reckon and seems to be more of a 650 issue.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #7 of 26 Old 05-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

My opinion is the extra light alone is worth it.

2009 DL650
post #8 of 26 Old 05-09-2014, 05:26 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Strom with 325K that does not have this mod I believe, so it is a crap shoot I reckon and seems to be more of a 650 issue.
It's just that there are more 650s. The biggest issue by far is the headlight cutout on the starter button switch. Every 2005 and later V-Strom has that as well as connectors that are sometimes a problem. The percentage having problems is probably well below half but I don't want to take the chance of losing my headlights some dark night even if it is small. The relays will also provide about 1 volt more and that is a noticeable difference. Also, if the connection that burns out happens to be the ground connection to the fairing, you lose the headlights, the turn signals and the instruments.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #9 of 26 Old 05-10-2014, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks all. I think that's enough to convince me.

I'm going to go ahead and get the kit. If all I get is a bit of extra light out of it, I think its well worth it. The extra insurance and peace of mind is a bonus. And, its really not that expensive.

I'd have a play at making my own, but with my very little electrical experience, I'd just be defeating the purpose and probably be creating more of a potential problem than if I just left it alone!

Cheers
post #10 of 26 Old 05-11-2014, 09:20 AM
$tromtrooper

+1 for the quick disconnect. I just pulled my fairing and would have had to pull the battery leads without the connector.

DualSport Rider 650
2012 DL650A-L2 ABS ADV
2003 KLR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode