Rear Sprocket - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-08-2014, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Rear Sprocket

This bike has really great quality details as the brochure says and as we can see, the only thing I disagree is in the finish of the rear drum, where the rear sprocket is bolted. I bought a new rear sprocket because the OEM looks cheap to me and when I dismounted the rear wheel and rear sprocket I could see how ugly it looks. I reshaped it a little bit and finally polished... Now it is much better...
Although I know that is a part of the bike that is not very visible, I think itīs worth seeing now more brighter and with the Vortex sprocket!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1340.jpg (92.6 KB, 105 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-08-2014, 11:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

After lubing the chain and doing a hundred miles on dirty dusty roads, I think your sprocket is going to look pretty much like mine: gray and greasy black.

But it does look nice in the garage.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
post #3 of 9 Old 05-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

What is behind me is not important! A few sprays with lube and some moles and they all look a bit dirty.
Your picture of the new stuff is very pretty but I fear you have too much time on your hands.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-08-2014, 10:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Looks sharp. Thanks for sharing. It's just good to spend some time working on the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 9 Old 05-09-2014, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I know it could be a waste of time for some people... itīs try, it will be dirty but as Cryoman says... itīs good to spend some time working on the bike. Itīs cheaper than a psychologist !
post #6 of 9 Old 05-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

I wouldn't say it's a waste of time; if you like it, that's all that matters. I just meant that if you did it for looks, it won't look much different than a stock rear sprocket after a few miles.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
post #7 of 9 Old 05-09-2014, 09:34 PM
DRD
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsz1969 View Post
This bike has really great quality details as the brochure says and as we can see, the only thing I disagree is in the finish of the rear drum, where the rear sprocket is bolted. I bought a new rear sprocket because the OEM looks cheap to me and when I dismounted the rear wheel and rear sprocket I could see how ugly it looks. I reshaped it a little bit and finally polished... Now it is much better...
Although I know that is a part of the bike that is not very visible, I think itīs worth seeing now more brighter and with the Vortex sprocket!
is that aluminum or steel?

DRD

2013 Blue DL650
post #8 of 9 Old 05-09-2014, 09:56 PM
$tromtrooper

tekcorpS

The title is sprocket spelled backwards.

Why? I will tell you why. A rear sprocket erodes much more slowly than a front sprocket, because it has about three times as many teeth to share the wear.

Consequently, it makes sense to replace the rear sprocket only every second time you replace the chain and front sprocket, which should be replaced at the same time to prevent rapid wear of the new part by the old one which has developed different measurements.

Here is the clever part: the first and third and fifth time you replace the chain and front sprocket, reverse the rear sprocket, and add five washers inside it, to make up for the slight asymmetry -- you will understand at once when you see the dishing of one side of the rear sprocket.

I have done this at 22000 miles and again at 66000 miles with my second rear sprocket. In my experience, at 80000 miles now, this process did not cause rapid wear of the chain or front sprocket. The only difference is that I saved the price of two rear sprockets, which is several tanks of gasoline, even at today's prices.

So, kmsz1969, your lovely new sprocket can last about 76000 kilometers,
perhaps twice as far as you expected it to last. But I bet the manufacturer's name is not on the other side of it!

Keith

post #9 of 9 Old 05-09-2014, 10:34 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Falkner View Post
The title is sprocket spelled backwards.

Why? I will tell you why. A rear sprocket erodes much more slowly than a front sprocket, because it has about three times as many teeth to share the wear.

Consequently, it makes sense to replace the rear sprocket only every second time you replace the chain and front sprocket, which should be replaced at the same time to prevent rapid wear of the new part by the old one which has developed different measurements.

Here is the clever part: the first and third and fifth time you replace the chain and front sprocket, reverse the rear sprocket, and add five washers inside it, to make up for the slight asymmetry -- you will understand at once when you see the dishing of one side of the rear sprocket.

I have done this at 22000 miles and again at 66000 miles with my second rear sprocket. In my experience, at 80000 miles now, this process did not cause rapid wear of the chain or front sprocket. The only difference is that I saved the price of two rear sprockets, which is several tanks of gasoline, even at today's prices.

So, kmsz1969, your lovely new sprocket can last about 76000 kilometers,
perhaps twice as far as you expected it to last. But I bet the manufacturer's name is not on the other side of it!

Keith
Great tip Keith.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode