Anyone use a TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 05-07-2014, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Anyone use a TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System?

Last year, pickup truck beside me honked pointed at my back tire and said, "your tire is flat!" Drove real slow to a gas station it was a pancake. Filled up the tire, then drove home, filled again then off to the dealer, it was an embedded screw, and got the tire replaced.

I do check pressure periodically and give the tires a good kick before I ride. I did notice that I could flat foot easier and was wondering why at the time, I was lucky was in town and no long highway driving.

Thing is, this probably happened while riding and I want to look into a TPMS system, has anyone used them before? Any suggestions?

2012 650 Vstrom Black - Givi E52 Maxia Trunk,Givi Quick Release PLR3101 Racks, Givi E21 Silver Side Cases, Admore LED Brake and turn signals, SW Motech Crash Guards, SW Motech Center Stand, SW Motech Steel Rear Rack, SW Motech Bar Risers, OEM lower Cowling, OEM lower Seat customized by Triple K Upolstery, OEM Hand Guards, Eastern Beaver PC8, Givi Airflow Windscreen, Aprilla Mirrors, Dan Vesel Highway Pegs and Back Rest, Oxford Sport Heated Grips, FendaExtenda, Sena 10C, CREE LED Headlight Kit,10w Cree LED Work Lights,INNOV Wifi Bullet Cam

Last edited by Captain Farkle; 05-07-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 05-07-2014, 09:39 AM
BKP
Stromthusiast!

I've looked around myself for something non-obtrusive. I wish the Zumo 390 was out when I got the 350, since it has an integrated TPMS (you just have to buy the sensors).
I've also looked at this one. The only thing keeping me from buying it, has been having to put another electronic gizmo on the handlebars...

TireGard 13-318 (there's another model with a keyfob instead, but same thing I'm also looking at).

[B][I]Barry[/I]
2017 Pearl White 650[/B]
AdventureTech lowering links and GPS mount
AdventureTech +2" SS braided brake line
Madstad windscreen
GPI spools, SW Motech risers
Givi XS307 Tanklock bag and Givi 46L top case
Suzuki hard case saddlebags

Last edited by BKP; 05-07-2014 at 09:44 AM.
post #3 of 48 Old 05-07-2014, 09:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

Something to consider when doing the TPM is the cost of repairs when the battery dies. The units on my BMW were, to me, prohibitively expensive.
There are sensors that replace your valve cap that may be satisfactory.
It's a great idea but a pricey farkle. An oft used 10 dollar tire gauge might be the poor man's alternative.
iamsmiling and Brojon like this.

post #4 of 48 Old 05-07-2014, 11:03 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Tnkrplt
Garmin has a valve cap system for $69

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

13 Wee
09 Yamaha WR250R (Sold)
08 Stealth Wee (Sold)
04 Savage (Sold)
post #5 of 48 Old 05-07-2014, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

For the Garmin, do you need to buy one of the GPS systems? I agree with the obtrusive comment BKP. Would really like to have one though my Android Note 3 phone as I use that as my GPS, Music, etc. I dont want another display on my handle bars if it can be avoided but, that large screen one looks good but running out of room now.

2012 650 Vstrom Black - Givi E52 Maxia Trunk,Givi Quick Release PLR3101 Racks, Givi E21 Silver Side Cases, Admore LED Brake and turn signals, SW Motech Crash Guards, SW Motech Center Stand, SW Motech Steel Rear Rack, SW Motech Bar Risers, OEM lower Cowling, OEM lower Seat customized by Triple K Upolstery, OEM Hand Guards, Eastern Beaver PC8, Givi Airflow Windscreen, Aprilla Mirrors, Dan Vesel Highway Pegs and Back Rest, Oxford Sport Heated Grips, FendaExtenda, Sena 10C, CREE LED Headlight Kit,10w Cree LED Work Lights,INNOV Wifi Bullet Cam
post #6 of 48 Old 05-07-2014, 11:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
Something to consider when doing the TPM is the cost of repairs when the battery dies. The units on my BMW were, to me, prohibitively expensive.
There are sensors that replace your valve cap that may be satisfactory.
It's a great idea but a pricey farkle. An oft used 10 dollar tire gauge might be the poor man's alternative.

Think I found your problem right there

So, that Garmin thing, assuming you have the appropriate Garmin Nav, doesnt look bad. Simply screws on the valve stem, sends pressure data to the unit. Uses standard batteries that cost under $3 each, can be bought at Wal-Mart, and are user replaceable

. http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/coi...br1225-ecr1225

[IMG]http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s320x320/420631_293299050736081_100001679667238_742639_1248852145_n.jpg[/IMG]
post #7 of 48 Old 05-07-2014, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Had it on my C14, and hated the stupid system.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #8 of 48 Old 05-07-2014, 06:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Check the oil level, chain tension and TIRE PRESSURE before every ride.
That's the rules.
Outbackwack likes this.

If you get to it...
and you can't do it...
then there you jolly-well are,
aren't you?
---Lord Buckley---
post #9 of 48 Old 05-07-2014, 06:56 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I have valve stem caps that show the pressure is at 35 psi. $10.00 I think.

Dave Munro

2008 DL 650
1986 SRX 600
1969 Alfa Spider
post #10 of 48 Old 05-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have been using the Tyredog TPMS on my car for years and I think they are the best invention ever, with the warnings they have given me I have been able to choose where and when I fix a puncher, they will give a low pressure warning you can then keep a eye on your pressures and drive to a safe place or as in my case each time I have driven to a service station were I pluged the tyre and used their compressor to inflate the tyre again.

the hand unit uses 12v or AAA batteries and last around 8 months, the sender unit batteries are about $2each and last me about 12 months, because the unit goes to sleep the amount you drive will determine the battery's life.

On my bike I use the TPMS brand, it does not seem to be the quality of the Tyredog but it works just fine, if you do a seach on this forum you will find photos and posts from me about this unit.

In OZ Dealextreme have the car unit for $142, that is less than the cost of one tyre and this unit will stop tyre damage so it will very quickly pay for itself and on a bike it could be a life saver.

ps: before I got the bike unit I would take the one off my car and fit it to my bike for any long rides and I have had no problems with rubber valve stems even at 200kph.
Old Time Rider likes this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode