Mounts for Pelican cases - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-05-2014, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Mounts for Pelican cases

OK, my head hurts after hours of peering at the luggage thread. Seems like the Pelicans are a good way to go. The question is -- what rack to hang them from?? I have a 2013 DL650. I'd like to be able to quick disconnect them to carry inside. Moose looks huge. HT has those stupid knobs inside. Mototech has appendages sticking out And you have to hack up your wiring.
I'm just looking for the simple solution --

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2013 DL650
2003 Victory Touring Cruiser
1983 Seca 900
1980 XS 850 triple
1971 Dunstall Norton
1970 Triumph Trophy 500
1972 Honda Trail 90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-05-2014, 12:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have mine on an SW Motech quick disconnect rack. Granted I have a mount kit from caribou cases.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-05-2014, 08:29 AM
Stromthusiast!

I don't know if you're a DIY type of guy or not, but if you are, here is the quick release mounting system I made for my Duratool cases that work with Happy Trails racks. I've no doubt it could be adapted to other racks as well. Cases come off just by loosening two knobs, and nothing sticks out into the interior of the case.

https://www.stromtrooper.com/members/...nt-system.html

"No matter where you go, there you are."

post #4 of 17 Old 05-05-2014, 08:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

Funny how things work out. I spent most of yesterday looking at options for this. I think I'm going with this rack system:

http://www.amazon.com/Givi-Monorack-...ywords=plr3101

The frames themselves are QD with 1/4 turn fasteners, just some small mounting tabs remain. I like that feature, plus the price is reasonable. It's set up for the Givi monokey system, but I don't see any adapters available from Givi to mount other cases. Figure I can make/adapt something. RCs project is giving me some ideas.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-05-2014, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCinNC View Post
I don't know if you're a DIY type of guy or not, but if you are, here is the quick release mounting system I made for my Duratool cases that work with Happy Trails racks. I've no doubt it could be adapted to other racks as well. Cases come off just by loosening two knobs, and nothing sticks out into the interior of the case.

https://www.stromtrooper.com/members/...nt-system.html
I like it. too bad HT doesn't adopt something like this. Am I correct in assuming you just used aluminium to build up the mounts?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2013 DL650
2003 Victory Touring Cruiser
1983 Seca 900
1980 XS 850 triple
1971 Dunstall Norton
1970 Triumph Trophy 500
1972 Honda Trail 90
post #6 of 17 Old 05-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

The lower mounts are just 3/4" square aluminum tubing, the kind you get at Lowe's. The flanges on the lower mounts were cut off of a piece of aluminum "L" channel (I think it was 1 1/2"). The upper mount (the big square block) is made of laminated pieces of 1/4" ABS plastic, which I ordered from TAP Plastics. Those three small silver blocks that are between the upper and lower mounts are 1/4" aluminum. Those blocks act like keys, and fit into the three holes on the HT rack, so that the cases won't come loose even if they take a hard hit from below.

I don't often see the need to lock the cases to the bike, but if I do, I carry a couple Python cable locks in my top case. With those, I can both lock the case itself, and lock the case to the bike. They also come in handy for locking your helmet and jacket to the bike if you don't feel like carrying them with you.

Last edited by RCinNC; 05-05-2014 at 10:18 AM.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-05-2014, 10:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'm looking at McMaster Carr for general materials, they are very good to work with-great website and fast shipping. Need to do some digging, but a company called Southco has all kinds of latches/locks. Hope to cobble up something that looks fairly professional and works. Nice thing about the plastic materials (for hooks/etc), they can be worked with standard woodworking tools.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-05-2014, 11:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
I'm looking at McMaster Carr for general materials, they are very good to work with-great website and fast shipping. Need to do some digging, but a company called Southco has all kinds of latches/locks. Hope to cobble up something that looks fairly professional and works. Nice thing about the plastic materials (for hooks/etc), they can be worked with standard woodworking tools.
McMaster Carr (and Grainger) are my first stops for any fabrication materials that I can't get locally. I don't believe that Southco sells retail; I think they are only a wholesale dealer. TAP Plastics is my first stop for things like plastic sheet. When I need something like aluminum plate, I use MetalsDepot or OnLineMetals. I only mentioned these because I've used all of them in the past, and all have provided very fast, safe, and reliable service.

post #9 of 17 Old 05-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

I went with the SW motech mounts, which are "quick disconnect". I wouldn't want to remove them very often. They are a bit of a pain. But once they are on, everything is fine other than some more buzzing in the foot pegs. The buzz is more noticeable with the side cases off. I went with the Twisted Throttle pelican kit, the deluxe version. The cases come off in a second with a key, they also lock which is handy when you want to run into a store real quick. You can use padlocks if you prefer. The lid stays are very helpful in keeping the lid from opening too far.

I did not hack up my turn signals. I went to ace hardware and bought some longer screws and metal spacers for the mounting points on the SW rack on the left side, the turn signal does not touch.

EDIT: The pelican case kit does not come assembled, so be ready to spend a couple hours on that. You will also need a hand riveter.

2006 GSXR 600 - sold March 2013 (it was a sad day)
2012 Glee standard
2009 KLX250S

Last edited by porsche4786; 05-05-2014 at 11:21 AM.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've made two different mount adapters for my Givi racks now like RCnC that are quick release, but not for the purpose of taking them off nightly. I could do that, but I prefer using liners. It's much easier to me. If I go somewhere and set up a base camp to ride from for several days, then I will remove the cases.

06 V-Strom DL650

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode