Worst instructions ever...and now I'm stuck - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-04-2014, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Worst instructions ever...and now I'm stuck

Hopefully someone here can help me out. This weekend I received my Givi E55 and brake light kit. Installing the case itself was a breeze. Hooking up the brake lights- meh, not so much. I'm not an electrician, nor am I particularly savvy with wires.

Problem 1: wires on my 2013 Dl650 are different than those listed online. I have black w/ white stipe. Grey. And teal. figured those out though I think.

Problem 2: the provided givi connector plug (nomenclature?) isn't quite tall enough to reach the terminals on the bottom on the case if I install the from the underside. So I installed it on top which makes no sense from an aesthetics or a wire protection standpoint (See image) but still, no go on the brake lights in the case. Has anybody on here troubleshot this? I can't be the only one but I read dozens of posts about these cases now and the best thing I saw so far was that someone solved the problem with a washer- or planned to. Any advice?

And as a warning to anyone looking at givi cases- the case is great. It seems like very high quality. But the instructions are terrible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (98.2 KB, 107 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-04-2014, 09:29 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
There is a white wire with a black stripe back there. It is the brake light hot wire. That teal wire must be the light green right turn signal wire.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #3 of 10 Old 05-04-2014, 09:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twotires View Post
Hopefully someone here can help me out. This weekend I received my Givi E55 and brake light kit. Installing the case itself was a breeze. Hooking up the brake lights- meh, not so much. I'm not an electrician, nor am I particularly savvy with wires.

Problem 1: wires on my 2013 Dl650 are different than those listed online. I have black w/ white stipe. Grey. And teal. figured those out though I think.

Problem 2: the provided givi connector plug (nomenclature?) isn't quite tall enough to reach the terminals on the bottom on the case if I install the from the underside. So I installed it on top which makes no sense from an aesthetics or a wire protection standpoint (See image) but still, no go on the brake lights in the case. Has anybody on here troubleshot this? I can't be the only one but I read dozens of posts about these cases now and the best thing I saw so far was that someone solved the problem with a washer- or planned to. Any advice?

And as a warning to anyone looking at givi cases- the case is great. It seems like very high quality. But the instructions are terrible.
Going to take a stab at this based on the wiring diagram I have from the Haynes manual...haven't looked at the bike. Just guessing at the colors based on what it looks like on the diagram, and a couple of the wires are a different color on either side of the connector.

Right turn - light green. Brake - white on the bulb side and white w/black stripe on the bike side. Tail - white w/black strip on bulb side and brown on bike side. Left turn - black (maybe with a brown stripe?). Ground - Black w/white stripe.

It does seem odd that the cable to the connector would be routed like that. Besides the aesthetics, it could pinch and short the wiring.

I couldn't bring myself to cut into the brand new harness on my bike, so I got connectors and wiring from Eastern Beaver, it's just plug n play. They have a whole range of electrical items for the V-Strom.

If you need more detail about the wire colors, I could look at my wiring tomorrow afternoon.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold

post #4 of 10 Old 05-04-2014, 10:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yep.....
Sorry, GW answered the question

Last edited by jrnyer; 05-04-2014 at 10:10 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-04-2014, 11:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

and no, the wire should not be routed that way. Besides, it looks like the contacts are sticking up too high the way you have it.

. . . . . BIKES . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . DL650 FARKLES
2013 DL650 Adventure . . . . . . BB VPS, HT Center Stand,
2009 DR650, 2009 DRZ400 . . . .Kaoko, Oxford Grips.
2002 ZG1000, 1999 DR350 . . . .EB PC-8, ABS Switch &
-Some others long gone-. . . . . Headlight Relay Kit.
75&77 CB400F, 78 GS550 . . . . AdvTech Fork Brace,
---- First Bike ----. . . . . . . . . Peg Lowering Kit,
------ 1973 ------. . . . . . . . . Aux Shelf & Over Dash Shelf.
-- Suzuki T-500 --. . . . . . . . . E. G. Bash Plate & Hwy Pegs
post #6 of 10 Old 05-04-2014, 11:44 PM
$tromtrooper

One hopes Givi has greatly improved their connector since I tried it years ago. Eventually (quickly, just to be clear), the contacts would stick, and you never knew if the lights were working or not. Been using admore ever since.

Yes, the wires should be underneath.

1985 Honda CB450SC (AUG04 - SEP09)
2004 Honda CN250 Helix (NOV09 - )
2006 Suzuki DL650 (MAR07 - APR15)
2014 BMW R1200GSW (APR14 - )
Lordsmoke, still refusing to obey the voices!
post #7 of 10 Old 05-05-2014, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Exclamation

So this morning with better light and less rum in me I went back and double checked my work with a voltmeter (had to wait until this morning to buy it). My connections are good and there is power running to the givi case when the tail light on the bike is on. HOWEVER- when I apply the brake the power to the case drops to zero. I'm no electrician but I bet that's not right. Does this give any of you any clues as to what I've done wrong?

Thanks for the earlier comments, they all helped me sort of get my bearings with what I've done so far. I also have since found the vstrom riders international site and their wiring 101 section which was immensely helpful.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-05-2014, 09:24 AM

Garage
I'll bet you confused a white wire with a black stripe with a black wire with a white stripe.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #9 of 10 Old 05-05-2014, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Could have. I have been assuming that the ground would be the one that is coming out of the side rather than into the rear of the bulb where the contacts would be. I also assumed that a white wire with a black stripe would be predominantly white with less black. The opposite being true for a black wire with a white stripe.

With the setup as I currently have it, I have tail lights until I hit he brake and then I have no light (except the bikes tail and brake lights which operate normally.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.8 KB, 24 views)
post #10 of 10 Old 05-05-2014, 10:51 AM

Garage
All that is correct. The black/white wire on the side is ground. The white/black wire in back is the brake light hot. The gray wire next to it (that is nearly white in the picture) is the tail light hot. Does the Admore unit have two wires or three? If it has two wires and you connected them to the white/black and gray, that's your problem.

A two wire Admore can be wired as a running light or a brake light, not both. Connect one wire to ground (black/white). For an always on Admore, connect the other wire to gray. For a brake light Admore, connect the non ground wire to white/black.

The way you have it now, the light is getting power through the gray wire and finding ground by passing through the filament in the brake light bulb. When you hit the brake, both wires to the Admore go positive so no current can flow. BTW, those blue Scotch Lock connectors are crap. The steel bridge piece loves to corrode or break wires. Find some Posi-Taps. Amazon.com: Posi-tap Connector, 16-18 Gauge Wire: Automotive is one source.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
farkle , givi top case , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode