Functional skid plate recommendation? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-04-2014, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Functional skid plate recommendation?

I just picked up my new Wee yesterday and want some protection on it ASAP. I live on a gravel road, so light "sandblasting" and small rocks will be a daily issue. But for that type of riding any plate would do. My bigger concern is when I head into the National Forest and ride Forest Service roads. I don't intend to get in the really nasty stuff, but even our FS roads have plenty of big, loose rocks. I'm really concerned about them "kicking up" and slamming my oil filter/exhaust/cases. So, I'm actually looking for something fairly heavy duty, but still want it to look good...and be a reasonable cost. I'll also be adding engine guards (planning on Givis) about the same time.

I've been searching and reading the various threads on them, but many reviews seem to be mixed, and most are a little old. I'm wondering if there are any new products out or more experience with the existing ones.

I really like the looks of the Weld86 ones about the best of what I've seen. But $300+ is a bit more than I want to spend. Would really like to be <$200. I'm concerned the Givi one won't be tough enough. Any input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-04-2014, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Oops, I meant the Altrider plate was the one I liked at >$300. Is there any way to edit a post?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Happy Trails one?
post #3 of 16 Old 05-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Touratech

I have the Touratech and so far so good. Easy to install, very sturdy, tight tolerance, easy to remove for oil change, not too expensive (around $240).

post #4 of 16 Old 05-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nster View Post
I have the Touratech and so far so good. Easy to install, very sturdy, tight tolerance, easy to remove for oil change, not too expensive (around $240).
Agree. The Touratech is a great product and will fit under the lower cowling.

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2...r-cowling.html

Last edited by Redleg; 05-04-2014 at 02:57 PM.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-04-2014, 03:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Weld 86

Bought this plate a few weeks ago, $139 plus $18 shipping, $157 total. Easy to install -- 15 minutes maybe -- just 2 bolts. Should provide adequate protection for the oil filter and header from small rocks, etc. Haven't detected any changes in performance or vibrations since the installation. There are no doubt plates offering more protection, but I thought the Weld 86 was a good price / protection compromise. Looks fine on the bike.

Although there's a hole through the plate for draining the oil, it would not be a problem to remove the plate for oil changes. When I need my next oil change, I'll see how it goes without removing the plate. The cleanup hassle will determine whether the plate would come off for future oil changes.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

ENDURO GUARDIAN! - Tank Armor

Aluminum skid plate $240: Aluminum skid plate with bracket

Steel skid plate $180: Steel skid plate with bracket

. . . . . BIKES . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . DL650 FARKLES
2013 DL650 Adventure . . . . . . BB VPS, HT Center Stand,
2009 DR650, 2009 DRZ400 . . . .Kaoko, Oxford Grips.
2002 ZG1000, 1999 DR350 . . . .EB PC-8, ABS Switch &
-Some others long gone-. . . . . Headlight Relay Kit.
75&77 CB400F, 78 GS550 . . . . AdvTech Fork Brace,
---- First Bike ----. . . . . . . . . Peg Lowering Kit,
------ 1973 ------. . . . . . . . . Aux Shelf & Over Dash Shelf.
-- Suzuki T-500 --. . . . . . . . . E. G. Bash Plate & Hwy Pegs
post #7 of 16 Old 05-04-2014, 06:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
I just picked up my new Wee yesterday and want some protection on it ASAP. I live on a gravel road, so light "sandblasting" and small rocks will be a daily issue. But for that type of riding any plate would do. My bigger concern is when I head into the National Forest and ride Forest Service roads. I don't intend to get in the really nasty stuff, but even our FS roads have plenty of big, loose rocks. I'm really concerned about them "kicking up" and slamming my oil filter/exhaust/cases. So, I'm actually looking for something fairly heavy duty, but still want it to look good...and be a reasonable cost. I'll also be adding engine guards (planning on Givis) about the same time.

I've been searching and reading the various threads on them, but many reviews seem to be mixed, and most are a little old. I'm wondering if there are any new products out or more experience with the existing ones.

I really like the looks of the Weld86 ones about the best of what I've seen. But $300+ is a bit more than I want to spend. Would really like to be <$200. I'm concerned the Givi one won't be tough enough. Any input is appreciated.
I have a Weld 86 plate packed and ready to ship if you're interested. $115 including shipping. Pics can be found in the for sale section.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have the Adventuremotostuff skid plate and it looks great and could withstand a small nuclear blast. This thing is solid!
post #9 of 16 Old 05-04-2014, 07:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Why Not Get The Givi?

If you're getting Givi Crash bars, why not get the Givi Plate? You could also get the Kappa bars there which are the same as the Givi for a little less and fit with the plate. There's a good write up on the plate here. I don't have either yet, but that's the plan for me.

Dave
Fort Drum, NY
Current Ride: 2012 DL650

Past Rides: 94 Nighthawk 250, 87 CBR600, 87 KLR650, 85 V65 SABRE, 85 Interceptor VF700F, 80 CB750K
post #10 of 16 Old 05-05-2014, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for all the input. I ended up going with the Enduro Guardian. There were a couple great threads about it over on ADV Rider. I like that it's long and wide enough to offer a lot of protection and looks good.

With regard to the Givi skid-I understand it's pretty thin material. In all honesty, it would probably be fine for me. I can just picture a plate-size rock kicking up and jamming into the front of it and crumpling it and everything behind it, not a risk I want to take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode