Brand New Owner-I have to say, I'm impressed! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-03-2014, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Brand New Owner-I have to say, I'm impressed!

I just picked up my new Wee (leftover 2013) this afternoon and I'm really enjoying it. I had bought a Concours new in '87, rode a lot the first few years, then much less thereafter, a few years not at all. I finally sold it after 20 years in '07. A couple years later I got the dual sport/adventure touring bug and picked up a used DR650. Here in Idaho we have thousands of miles of forest service roads, atv trails and single track to explore and camp on. I had a great time with that bike, but it was a bit lacking. It was heavy for a woods bike (fine on gravel roads) for an inexperienced dirt rider getting into the sport at 50. On the road, it was lacking in power at highway speeds, plus of course lacking in wind protection.

I decided I wanted a bike more dirt oriented and picked up a WR250R abd sold the DR. I found it much better than the DR in the dirt and only slightly less powerful on the road. I really enjoy that little bike. A couple years ago a group of us did a 1500 mile ride/camping trip, the vast majority of which was on dirt. We rode the Lolo Motorway, Magruder Corridor and the Gravelly range of Idaho and Montana. Fantastic ride. I had all my gear in a Giant Loop and the little bike excelled in the dirt.

But, and there is always a but. That little bike is underpowered at anything much over 60, especially on hills or with a headwind. The bike is a bit small and the seat short. Great for a ride to the national forest and a day of playing, but not great for putting 400 miles a day on. One of the riders on the trip I mentioned above had a Wee Strom. I was pretty impressed, he went everywhere I did and was able to carry more gear. I suspect I enjoyed the dirt a little more, but he was MUCH better off on pavement. We had a long uphill grade (several miles) at 7000 ft+ and a strong headwind-my 250 could only manage 50 with the load it was hauling.

So, I decided to add a more dirt oriented bike to the corral, one that could do more touring, go two up so I could carry the wife when I wanted, but still be able to handle forest service dirt roads. After a bunch of research I settled on a Wee, and after a lot of months of looking for a good deal on a used one, I gave up and sprung for a new one. Today was the day!

I had about a 60 mile run home from the dealer-took some nice, twisty back roads and hit some nice gravel ones. Plus I live on a gravel road. I'm very impressed with this bike. Very smooth and quiet, the clutch and transmission is the smoothest I've ridden. Engine is pretty awesome, very smooth and linear power curve. Great pull over a huge RPM range. I was shocked at how well it pulled, especially with top-gear rollons at 50 or so. 80 came up far earlier than I would ever expect from a 650. Very nice to ride on a very tight, twisty, heaved backroad. The real pleasant surprise was when I hit the dirt. I was concerned about the street oriented tires, but I have to say it worked far better on gravel than I expected. Very confidence inspiring.

One of the nicest features was...if I trust the gauge I was knocking down 58mpg by the time I got home! I got home and picked up my wife, we headed into town for dinner. I was impressed that it handled both of us just fine in reasonable comfort. I wouldn't care to travel for a week this way (smaller riders might not have an issue) but it's fine for a day trip. Even two up it had plenty of power and handled both twisty pavement and dirt adequately. I'm very happy with this little beastie!

I have some shopping to do, with crash bars, a skid plate and hand guards at the top of the list. Really looking forward to the summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard!

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 195,000+ km, 121,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #3 of 16 Old 05-03-2014, 10:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Glad you like your new ride.

Look at Heidenau K60 Scout tires. They might suit your needs very well.

Dual Sport Motorcycle Tires - Heidenau Tires

If you get over to the coast, MX1Canada in Richmond, B.C., has the highly regarded Mitas E-07 tires. Both the K60 and E-07 are considered 50-50 tires for our bikes...good on pavement and great off pavement.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.

Last edited by PTRider; 05-03-2014 at 10:36 PM.

post #4 of 16 Old 05-04-2014, 02:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

All the best with your new ride in Idaho.

Enjoy a super bike !

Dave

Remember they're out to get you - ride safe !
post #5 of 16 Old 05-04-2014, 08:34 AM
$tromtrooper

I agree with your assessment of the DR650. While it doesn't excel on dirt or pavement it is a pretty good compromise and a lot of fun. It can be a perfect bike for that ride when there is a combination of winding mountain roads and forest service. When the road gets real windy, light weight rules over horsepower at least at my level. I thought of mine as a backroad touring machine. I think it would be a good choice if you could only have one bike and lived in mountainous terrain with the wide variety of riding the mountains offer. Certainly no fun on straight, flat slab like rides but then I don't think anything is.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-04-2014, 09:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

Here in the UK due to our government (we give half a billion aid to Pakistan ) as well as other highly dubious nations, the roads are seriously rubbish.

Potholes, gravel, uneven surfaces, this is what we call ''A'' roads, more like rutted dirt tracks.

Any motorbike like the V Strom 650 that can cut it on British roads has my seal of approval.

Glad you are liking it; the ABS is superb by the way. With my 2008 old V Strom it kicked in several times and saved my hide each time.

Dave - West Sussex UK

post #7 of 16 Old 05-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

[QUOTE=Captain Sensible;2211762]Here in the UK due to our government (we give half a billion aid to Pakistan ) as well as other highly dubious nations, the roads are seriously rubbish.
m
Please don't make this about YOUR personal political views!! Next you'll let us all know you are voting UKIP!
post #8 of 16 Old 05-04-2014, 12:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Welcome! glad you are enjoying the new ride. I love my strom more with every mile I put on it. sadley its mostly commuter miles on the slab.I have fount it to be vey competent on gravel Forest Service roads that are the most "off road"
ill ever ride.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-04-2014, 10:32 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thumbs up new bike

Welcome Idaho Renegade the glee is a great bike for idaho or anywere for that matter. I live in st maires just south about 60 miles.I have a 2012 i bought new in 2013 love it.if you are looking for a skid plate look at enduro guardin i have one on my 2012 like it alot. good luck.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-05-2014, 09:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

[QUOTE=dogdaze;2211802]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sensible View Post
Here in the UK due to our government (we give half a billion aid to Pakistan ) as well as other highly dubious nations, the roads are seriously rubbish.
m
Please don't make this about YOUR personal political views!! Next you'll let us all know you are voting UKIP!
Whatever, the net result is, in the UK seriously crap 3rd world roads So whether you vote ''Monster raving Loony Party'' or ''Let's Have a Party Party'', the roads stay the same, utterly and totally rubbish. Fact. No politics no bull.

Dave :

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode