Losing acceleration and general lack of power - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 05-01-2014, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Losing acceleration and general lack of power

Just started my 3rd season with the 2012 Vstrom Adv. Love the bike but am having some performance issues since I passed about 18,000 kms. That lovely, linear power up through the rpm's and gears has disappeared. Replaced with a lot of engine noise. It's not engine knock, the bike just got louder, sounds like an exhaust leak but no one can find one) The bike feels like it is hesitating when rolling on the throttle in the lower gears but picks up nicely at about 5500-6000 rpms. Above 5000, the bike seems fine with plenty of power but below 5000, it just seems to be all noise.

I had it to a very good mechanic after I took it out of winter storage. He did all the usual stuff, oil change, plugs, air filter, new front tire, adj. the valves and basically gave it the "once over." I didn't really notice a big difference except for the gas mileage which seems to be much better since I had the work done. But the same noise and lack of power in the lower gears\rpms.

I am beginning to wonder if I just got used to the 650 and need more power but I don't think so. I also thought maybe this is normal as the mileage is put on the bike but I don't think so. I am at a loss for what to try next and would love to hear from others about their aging vstrom. I had a short ride on a 2004 vstrom (with about 46,000km) and it blew my bike out of the water in the lower rpms\gears. No comparison could be made, the 2004 had sooooo much more low end power.

When I first got the bike, I would occasionally be in the wrong gear but the bike still drove fine. Now, If I am in 3rd and should be in 2nd, the bike barely goes anywhere until I downshift. In the past that was seldom an issue. With 2 up, as expected, the power loss is worse.

Thanks guys....and Help?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 05-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

That's not good and there is something wrong. You own low mileage bike and it's much too soon for such a problems. I'd take it to Suzuki dealer, do valves check again and sincronize throttle bodies. Let them plug it in their computer to see if any error shows up. Also, did it start after changing plugs? There were some reports about wrong plugs being put during service.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #3 of 37 Old 05-01-2014, 03:45 PM
$tromtrooper

Similar Problem on the V's

Greywolf posted this relating to a bad tank of gas:

Fuel flow check
Login
External Fuel Filter modification

Other ideas were air filter and failing fuel pump. The dealer can check the gas flow.

RR

post #4 of 37 Old 05-01-2014, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

It's not normal based on Mileage. my 2012 DL650 has over 87,000 KM's on it and has no driveability issues. (my 2006 has 202,000+ km and last i rode it ran fine.)

I'm not a technician but I can't help but think that your problems are fuel related.. either bad gas or water in the gas. It probably wouldn't hurt to run some water remover and then some fuel injection cleaner.

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 195,000+ km, 121,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #5 of 37 Old 05-02-2014, 10:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

I would agree that a plugged fuel filter would give issues like this. If the fuel filter isn't plugged have your mechanic run a compression test.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2013 Vstrom 650. White, CL-855 bags. Bags connection City tankbag. Givi Airflow. Augustus Deflectors. Bar end mirrors. JC Whitney top case.
post #6 of 37 Old 05-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

...but the noise...bad gas or bad gas delivery will hurt performance but will not generate more noise. A loose spark plug or, and I once experienced this on an old VW beetle, a cracked cylinder head just beside the spark plug, gave the same symptoms as you described. First check for a loose or broken spark plug....remember, 4 of them even if it is a twin cylinder.
post #7 of 37 Old 05-02-2014, 10:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

I suggest verifying that the correct spark plugs were installed and have a competent dealership check the valve adjustment. Assuming you replaced the stale fuel after storage.
Incorrect valve adjustment can cause poor performance and a noisy engine.Hope its nothing serious.
post #8 of 37 Old 05-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Vacuum leak???? Could it be an issue with the air filter or boots not seated properly?

2013 DL650A "Blue"
Previous bikes: '78 CB750F, '86 Nighthawk S, '87 EX500, '85 Sabre 700, '93 Katana 600, '75 Rupp 80, '78 DT250, '88 TT225, '89 CR250
post #9 of 37 Old 05-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

Did these symptoms appear right after winter storage, or directly after you had the work done? That could help pinpoint possible causes.
Since you mentioned gas mileage, I assume you have gone through at least one tank and can possibly rule out fuel quality.
Either way, a trip back to your mechanic should be in order

'09 VEE
'07 HD SEUC
'09 ST1300P
'06 ST1300
post #10 of 37 Old 05-03-2014, 03:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdog View Post
Did these symptoms appear right after winter storage, or directly after you had the work done? That could help pinpoint possible causes.
Since you mentioned gas mileage, I assume you have gone through at least one tank and can possibly rule out fuel quality.
Either way, a trip back to your mechanic should be in order

I was going to ask the same thing, could a botched valve adjustment cause this possibly?

Have you added a water remover to the fuel tank or gone through multiple tanks yet? You are sure the noise is not pinging? knock and ping are quite different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode