oem / adventure skid plate... does it work? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-01-2014, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Question oem / adventure skid plate... does it work?

Ok I know its just plastic and doesn't even really cover the oil filter but... I'm looking at my bike and I really can't see how any debris can hit the filter or much of anything on the underside of the engine with that hunk of plastic attached.

Seems to me that debris that's kicked up by the front wheel is going to be on a trajectory smack into the plastic on the front of the skid plate no? I must be missing something because everyone hates this thing and says it needs to be replaced by a real skid plate.

I would like to hear from anyone who's actually used this skid plate and had debris damage the underside of their engine or oil filter. I"m talking dirt and gravel roads (we call them "logging roads" here in BC), not serious stuff, although I'd like to hear about that too! I'm not saying its not possible, I just don't really see how (call me thick, you won't be the first!). And I'm trying to save money, and I actually like the oem skid plate - it makes the bike look cool!!

btw - I've rode on lots of back roads... not tons - the bikes not that old. And while my skid plate is scuffed up a bit, its still in pretty good shape.

THanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-01-2014, 07:43 AM
Banned

Certainly better than having the oil filter hanging out there like it is

The OEM plastic one will still do a sufficient job in deflecting small objects off the engine, but for more serious rocks and larger objects a more solid alloy version would be better.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-01-2014, 08:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

If I had the plastic oem guard, I'd for sure put a fenda extender on the front fender. At least it's "some" protection.

Boycott SV Racing

post #4 of 5 Old 05-01-2014, 08:49 PM

Thumbs up

I have the OEM chin fairing. I'm not climbing rocks just looking for stick stone and assorted other asphalt and gravel road shrapnel. It seems to work just fine!
post #5 of 5 Old 05-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

I used to have the oem lower cowling on the bike when I lived back in Vancouver. I used it for almost a year on all types of roads. Many times I heard small stones jump up and hit it. I could see the small nicks in the plastic. I often took the bike up some gnarlier trails with larger looser rocks. That's when the cowling starts to show it's weaknesses. The cowling would deflect anything kicked up at it but if the rock was big enough it would roll under and hit the bottom of the exhaust. Mine has a few dents in it. I was always worried about the engine when I heard a bang so I would get off and check it out.

Then I put on an Enduro Guardian plate... I haven't even though about what might be hitting the bottom. I just fly over anything. I recommend it just for the fact you don't have to worry.

That being said the oem cowling worked fine for me, but I am sure if I kept it up something would break.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

'12 650 ADV in White: Oxford heated grips, 12v socket x2, BarkBuster Storms, Pivot Pegz, OEM Aluminum cases and top box, OEM crashbars,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode