Sprocket change - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-26-2014, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Sprocket change

I just put a 16T front sprocket on my '13 650. I felt 1st and 2nd were geared too low, and the other gears could using spacing out as well. I had also compared the speedometer to my Garmin GPS and it was 7 or 8% high. The taller gearing has put the speedo right on the money and the engine has no problem pulling the taller gearing. Try it, you might like it. A front sprocket can be had pretty cheaply, usually under $20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-26-2014, 01:10 PM
$tromtrooper

I agree with you that the front sprocket should have more than 15 teeth. I have tried 16 teeth, but I find 17 teeth to be proper for me. I think this is a matter of personal preference, and I like seeing the tachometer near 5000 while I am making my long rides.

I am not sure about the change in sprocket affecting the accuracy of the speedometer. Someone will probably pipe up and tell us whether your findings are accurate.

When a little change helps you enjoy your ride significantly more,
than it is a beneficial change, and not very small after all, eh?

(The "eh?" just slipped out. I am headed for Canada next week, eh.)

Keith

P.S. funny thing. You give your location as N W Indiana. Well, that would be near the Indiana-Michigan state line,
which is the very first state line that my Florida-based Wee-Strom rolled over. (Yawn, if you like; there is more.)
And the first ocean that I saw from its seat: Pacific. And the first place where it reached the Atlantic Ocean?
Belfast Maine.

Last edited by Keith Falkner; 04-26-2014 at 01:14 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-26-2014, 01:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Falkner View Post
I am not sure about the change in sprocket affecting the accuracy of the speedometer.
I'm sure about the 16T front sprocket, speedo almost exactly mirrors a GPS speed info.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-26-2014, 02:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I find the first gear a tad too tall on my 2012 Adventure when doing slow dirt or gravel trails. It's not a dirt bike but I do like the choice of seeing where the dirt road or smooth trail goes at a speed I can look around. Couldn't do that with any higher gearing. If I was using it for strictly highway riding then I would probably do the bigger front sprocket.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-26-2014, 02:57 PM
DRD
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Falkner View Post
I agree with you that the front sprocket should have more than 15 teeth. I have tried 16 teeth, but I find 17 teeth to be proper for me. I think this is a matter of personal preference
17!! I've had a 16t since it was new and love it. I have to slip the clutch a bit more in first but I can't imagine being at a traffic light on an incline. But I guess if you area supports a 17 then cool.

DRD

2013 Blue DL650
post #6 of 11 Old 04-26-2014, 07:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Been there done that. I missed the torque, so I went back to the 15. To each his own, I suppose.

Kevin

L2 DL650A The Orange Machine
K7 DL650 Hi Yo Silver R.I.P!
post #7 of 11 Old 04-26-2014, 08:44 PM
$tromtrooper

We have had this conversation before.

Installed a 14 tooth recently. Great for winding back roads, slow speed on the rougher roads and also for maneuvering in parking lots. I find it's great on the highway too. Top end of 100 + has been confirmed. Does everything it did before, it's just more fun now.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-22-2014, 11:06 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago View Post
We have had this conversation before.

Installed a 14 tooth recently. Great for winding back roads, slow speed on the rougher roads and also for maneuvering in parking lots. I find it's great on the highway too. Top end of 100 + has been confirmed. Does everything it did before, it's just more fun now.
I just pulled this thread up on a search. I'm going to try a 14T front since I will be doing a lot of off road/gravel. I seldom go over 80mph, so this swap should not present a problem.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-23-2014, 08:32 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ManyCrashes View Post
I just put a 16T front sprocket on my '13 650. I felt 1st and 2nd were geared too low, and the other gears could using spacing out as well. I had also compared the speedometer to my Garmin GPS and it was 7 or 8% high. The taller gearing has put the speedo right on the money and the engine has no problem pulling the taller gearing. Try it, you might like it. A front sprocket can be had pretty cheaply, usually under $20.
I tried it.....personally, I didn't like it.
For the 2 lane riding I like to do, I like having the gear ratios as they came from the factory. I can loaf along in 5th or stay in 4th when there's more fun to be had on the road ahead. Our bikes shift so smoothly, its not something I mind doing.
I think many think the engine is working too hard above 5k rpms and on many bikes, it is. It sounds very happy and eager to me...

'15 Tiger800 XRx
'99 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
'89 Honda NX250

"Why don't I have tattoos? For the same reason you don't put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari."
post #10 of 11 Old 05-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

I tried the 16T also and liked it. BUT..

the 15T is better for all around riding like dual sport type for me so I went back to stock. If I used the bike for slabbing and had sport touring tires on it 16T would be the norm, that's my preference. 14T? Maybe if it went full MX mode. :mrgreen:

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode